when rollersetting, what products/items are must haves?

felicia

like what brand or type of rollers? pins or clips? setting lotion? i have bra-strap length hair, so what kind of rollers should i get? i'm a newbie at doing them myself.

I use magnetic rollers which I buy at Sally's Beauty Supply. For your length, you may want to use the gray, 2 1/2" rollers and perhaps the 3" green rollers to dry a little faster. Most of ladies here use the 2 1/2 " for the largest size so it can fit comfortable under their dryer hoods or bonnets.

I use duckbill clips to hold the rollers in. These can be bought at Sally's also.

I use a leave-in conditioner on my hair (no setting lotion) after rinsing out my conditioner. I use an oil or pomade lightly to seal in the moisture before rolling up my hair.

My supplies for rollersetting:

magnetic rollers
long duckbill clips
wide-toothed seamless comb
leave-in conditioner
oils
triangle rollerset net to hold rollers in place (found at Sally's)

Isis nailed it on the head!

However, I do use a bit of diluted Lottabody setting lotion in a conitioning mixture because I wear my hair curly for work. This helps my curls hold up to the windy weather where I live. Just choose the size roller accoring to the length of your hair, or the amount "curliness" you want (smaller rollers), or a faster drying time (larger rollers). I also find that a spray bottle with water and some condtitioner is needed because my hair sometimes starts to dry out as I am rolling. A wide-tooth rattail comb mas also comes in handy.

Sally's--or any well-stocked BSS--will have what you need.

I roller set mainly to smooth my hair so for me essential tools are:
  • end wraps
  • rat tail comb (for parting and to smooth after detangling w/shower comb)
  • leave-in conditioner or moisturizer
  • the rollers themselves; I use mesh ones for faster drying
  • pins to hold them in place; the hold is tighter than with clips so this gets the roots really taut (I have a couple inches of new growth to smooth)

Back