When Dominicans Say Bad Hair, are they really talking about the texture?

bravenewgirl87

Today, I made my second visit to a Dominican salon, but this time in NYC (yes, I'm on vacay! hit me up with fun spots and can someone tell me how I can get to Juniors, Magnolia Bakery and bag some Mrs. Fields' cookies?) I went to Domincan House Of Beauty (Flatlands) and honestly, the women in the salon had some bad hair. When I say bad, I mean, short, picky and damaged within an inch if its life. The longest length I saw was a natural-headed girl (15) with Midback hair, and an older lady with BSL. The rest were short, chewed-up ends, damaged, dry, picky... just terrible:nono:. The best head of hair leaving that salon was one girl with a head full of the thickest SL you'll ever see. Even the latinas who were there had dry, hard, thin, but greasy hair. Even the stylists looked a mess! I wonder, when they say "bad" hair, is that really what they mean?

P.S. I also got my hair treated with Silicone Mix and I'll tell you about the results of the salon and product later.

Considering that the Dominicans are 'known' for making hair as straight as possible, I'd suspect their 'bad' hair is the same as african-americans 'bad' hair, and it's all about texture, not health. :nono:

Considering that the Dominicans are 'known' for making hair as straight as possible, I'd suspect their 'bad' hair is the same as african-americans 'bad' hair, and it's all about texture, not health. :nono:

I dunno. These women's hair was straight...but gosh almight. You're hair shouldn't be that long and short unless it was cut to look that way (but who would do that to themselves?). I mean, some women only had two strands on their hair. One dominican lady was fighting...struggling to put this one lady's hair in a ponytail. I felt so bad for her. And then the texture was like 4b while the ponytail was 1AAAAAAAA

Who knows because maybe the beauticians in this salon were the ones that caused all that damage in the first place. I went to one religiously every week for wash & set/touchup and when she was done I had nothing to show for it. I guess when you come in jacked up and they pretty it up you feel good leaving, thinking they did their best w/what you have..

I am not sure what they mean; but you should have went to my salon: Dominican Essence. Everyone that leaves there has hair that makes me wanna envy; and I am a below SL. They do a good job; cheap (w/s is $12 with d/c and $30 for touch-up from Mon - Wed). They're nice and speak good English. Here's more info on them:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=6789

Anyway, you can take the 2/5/4 to Nevins to get to Junior's if you're talking bout takin the train of course. By car, you'll have to use Google; mapquest is a mess.

^^^^Your daughter's hair so gorgeous!

I don't know--it prolly depends on the person and how educated or enlightened they are.

A while ago some of my coworkers were having a discussion on my hair and one of the guys (puerto rican) used the term good hair to describe mine.
But I think he used the term to describe how healthy it was not the hair grade or how 'nonblack' it looked.
My ex (PR) also used the term to describe my hair. But I think he meant it in the other way.
Now--mind you I do NOT have 'good hair', I swear to you. But ppl keep telling me I do. :nono:

If I use the term I use it to describe damaged, chewed up hair that doesn't grow.
'Good hair' in this sense is healthy, orderly desirable hair with healthy ends and decent growth, regardless of texture.

IMO all hair that fits under the old banner of 'good hair' (based soley on hair texture) isn't necessarily 'good hair'.
There are different degrees of 'good hair'.

It makes no sense to judge the quality of a person's hair (i.e., good/bad hair)by texture alone. Most of the times what many consider to be 'good hair' is just an un-maneagable mess, imo.

My home-girl's daughter has beautiful hair in appearance. She has 'good hair' in that sense. Because it's wavy and when wet it dries into thousands of corkscrews. (i think she's a 3C with some other 3b mixed in there).
But then again it really isn't because it's a b***h to comb. It won't behave. And you can't really do anything with it but put it into puffs. Personally I don't care for the spanish wet n wavy look or (most mixed/biracial/multiracial hair), either---for similar reasons. It's usually ALL over the place.
No thank you. Happy to be NAPPY!

Her other daughter has hair similar to BLESSED ANGEL'S lil girl and it is so healthy and strong. This is 'good hair' to me.
A nother example of 'good hair': Rudy from the Cosby Show. It was thick and gorgeous.
I'll take coils, tight curls and orderly nappyness ANY DAY over any of that other mess.

UPDATE: Sorry I misread the post That's what I get for skimming. lol I have no idea what Dominicans consider 'good hair but if they're straightening like that we can only imagine. I've never been to a Dominican shop though...

Last edited:
Who knows because maybe the beauticians in this salon were the ones that caused all that damage in the first place. I went to one religiously every week for wash & set/touchup and when she was done I had nothing to show for it. I guess when you come in jacked up and they pretty it up you feel good leaving, thinking they did their best w/what you have..

Oh Of course! I mean, the women yanked a rattail comb through my hair so rough and they blow-fry at super high-heat. But, lets be honest: If I wanted healthy hair practices... I wouldn't be up in a dominican salon. There ain't nothing healthy about blowdrying hair until it smokes, using a high heat straightening iron and brushing hair to death to get it silky smooth. Unless you're getting a rollerset, I wouldn't suggest going to this salon (even then, I would say "Heck no!" because of the excessive combing)

I am not sure what they mean; but you should have went to my salon: Dominican Essence. Everyone that leaves there has hair that makes me wanna envy; and I am a below SL. They do a good job; cheap (w/s is $12 with d/c and $30 for touch-up from Mon - Wed). They're nice and speak good English. Here's more info on them:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=6789

Anyway, you can take the 2/5/4 to Nevins to get to Junior's if you're talking bout takin the train of course. By car, you'll have to use Google; mapquest is a mess.

See? I didn't know. My aunt just took me to whereve she goes to.With this salon, there's no way you're going to have healthy hair....:nono: But, the hair will be crazy straight.

yeah
they plays no games when it comes to getting your hair straight
bad hair USUALLY means you need a perm.....

Juniors- D to dekalb
2,3,4,5- Nevins st

theres a mrs fields on broadway bet 34th and 33rd across the street from the Gap and next to Manhattan Mall

for shopping you can get off at union square 4,5,6,N,R,W,Q to 14th street and walk on 5th ave (where I work ) they have just about everything:yep:

have fun

Y'all really think so? Hmm...:perplexed Well, these women had "bad" hair... I don't care how straight it was, either. But, I noticed the ladies who got regular rollersets had gorgeous long hair, including this one african or haitian lady. Beautiful. But, you cannot expect to blowdry your hair every week and have it grow.

Y'all really think so? Hmm...:perplexed Well, these women had "bad" hair... I don't care how straight it was, either. But, I noticed the ladies who got regular rollersets had gorgeous long hair, including this one african or haitian lady. Beautiful. But, you cannot expect to blowdry your hair every week and have it grow.

When I used to go to the Dominican salons, I heard some comment that were ..:perplexed:nono:. My mother took my sister to get her hair done at the same salon that we used to go to and one of the hairdresses refused to do her hair..(my sister is a 4a/4b). She just kept staring at her her and shaking her head (my sis was relaxed at this time with a lot of new growth)

When I used to go to the Dominican salons, I heard some comment that were ..:perplexed:nono:. My mother took my sister to get her hair done at the same salon that we used to go to and one of the hairdresses refused to do her hair..(my sister is a 4a/4b). She just kept staring at her her and shaking her head (my sis was relaxed at this time with a lot of new growth)

there are some Dominican salons that dont work with natural hair or loads of NG... there is one in Newark that does a finger test before they begin.. and if ya dont agree to a perm/touch up, they refuse to do your hair

Bingo! Never been to one but my gut instinct tells me this is what they mean.

Hmm....:perplexed Well, this salon is not the type of place you go to if you want long-term hair beauty. But, the best thing about it is that the practices varied according to stylist. So, certain stylists were better than others.

I agree, I dont' blow dry my hair or roots even when they get unruly. Rollersetting is the way to go. I do my own wash n sets now anyway. But next time you come to NYC you can check the Salon forum. There are other lists of NYC salons to visit. Oh, and you should add your aunts salon to the salons of ones to NOT go to. They sound like a mess in there. :yep:

I agree, I dont' blow dry my hair or roots even when they get unruly. Rollersetting is the way to go. I do my own wash n sets now anyway. But next time you come to NYC you can check the Salon forum. There are other lists of NYC salons to visit. Oh, and you should add your aunts salon to the salons of ones to NOT go to. They sound like a mess in there. :yep:

true. I'm not even sure if she still goes to that one or to another one now after her hair starting falling out. I know some Dominican stylists won't touch damaged hair, esp. if its beyond repair. Honestly, I don't blame them.:ohwell:

there are some Dominican salons that dont work with natural hair or loads of NG... there is one in Newark that does a finger test before they begin.. and if ya dont agree to a perm/touch up, they refuse to do your hair

This reminds me of the case a few years back where the Black lady SUED the White salon cuz they refused to do "Black hair" because they just didn't have the experience and didn't want to screw her hair up, but..she sued them anyway and I don't remember if she won or not....What you say here is just so disrespectful to me as a Black woman and would never step foot in such a place that would hold my hair's natural texture against me!

So did you turn around and walk out of there?

Nah.... Because I knew walking in to the salon that I was going there for looks not particularly health. I wasn't mad at the stylist because I'll never go to this salon again since I don't live here. In a way, I don't blame the stylists because like I said, the women with the terrible looking hair had only themselves to blame. You could tell the newbies at dominican salons and the "seasoned" customers because their hair reflected it. But, I just thought it was interesting that these women had some of the worse condition of hair I've ever seen. Some of the stylist were just itching to shake their heads.. but money is money and its not their fault (besides the comb thing). You're allowed to bring your own products to this salon, btw but I didn't remember to bring my comb.

^^^
IT seems just unethical to keep doing someone's hair like that--but I guess it's just like black stylists who do Quick Weaves (gluing the track to a woman's hair).
What are you gonna? Might as well gon ahead and do it. The women will just go elsewhere to get it done the way they want....

I am not surprised. I feel they use to much heat. Over time your hair would become thinner. I went once and probably would not go back.

I'm a little leary of stylists that go to work with THEIR OWN hair looking like a hot mess.:perplexed

^^^
IT seems just unethical to keep doing someone's hair like that--but I guess it's just like black stylists who do Quick Weaves (gluing the track to a woman's hair).
What are you gonna? Might as well gon ahead and do it. The women will just go elsewhere to get it done the way they want....

ditto. that's why i'm not mad at the stylist.

I shouldn't have been up in her chair. But, these women had bad hair from getting services that don't need to be done that frequently. Next time tho, I'm bringing my comb. The african stylist was sensible enough to use a wide-tooth comb and handle with care.... but how many of those women would REALLY want their hair done by a woman with a big afro?:rolleyes: The whole point of the salons is to get your hair silky straight by a dominican.

I used to go to a Dominican shop when I lived in NJ. They loooooved some straight hair, so I do think they substitute the word "bad" for "nappy". I let the salon put my relaxer in one time, and I thought I was gonna have to fight the lady to get her to rinse it out. First she put it in too slow, then she wanted to repeatedly comb it through. I had to ask her 3 times to wash me out. I have thin hair, and leaving a relaxer in too long just makes my hair super limp. They seemed to think that the straighter the hair, the better. Also, thinking back to the days before I found BHM and LHC, I was crazy enough to let these chicks rollerset, blowdry, and flat iron in one session. What the hell was I thinking?:rolleyes:

Um from my knowledge ...I know mad dominicans and when they say bad hair they do refer to texture ....especially as PELO MALO....which refers to nappyness of the hair in a pejorative way ...same as some ignorant PEOPLE would say you have good hair or you have bad hair..

^^^

Exactly. "Pelo Malo = Bad Hair. Girl, find some Ethiopians or other East Africans! You hair looks great when they do it and you can be relaxed or natural as you want to be!

in my limited experience bad hair means afro textured hair.

when i did used to go to the salon i know the women used to :perplexed at the fact that i didn't want a perm. they would do my hair but would make it known that they didn't think my hair was "good enough" in its natural state

now there was some people in the salon with damaged hair but i don't think their hair was considered bad. just damaged and can be fixed if it can grow out. me on the other hand was considered a lost cause. which is why i stopped going. :nono: but the area i live in does not have salons supportive of natural hair unless you want braids.

Back