What's your hair profile?

beana

Beyond Andre's typing system, how do you categorize your hair? What are the specific characteristics that define your locks? Knowing who the like-stranded ladies are on the board has helped me cut my pjism down tremendously and has helped me fine tune my regimen.

Current style/length: relaxed/ shoulder length

Overall hair type: 4a

Hair type Specifics: My natural hair is cottony/poofy and soft. I have a mix of fine /medium strands (mostly medium) and my hair is pretty dense especially at the crown where i believe i may have a 4b patch (no noticeable curl/wave pattern except when wet and w/ conditioner). My natural hair has a defined wave texture mostly throughout. I have extremely fine 3c hair at the nape with loose sharpie wide curls. that area is very fragile and is prone to breakage if not diligently cared for. I "identify" with the 4a type because overall my hair is tightly coiled/waved.

Unique Hair behaviors/ challenges: #1)My hair does not silken when relaxed. it does not matter what strength/brand/ or how long a relaxer is left on, my relaxer results are highly reduced pattern and smoother hair. In fact, my wet hair after conditioning and detangling, slightly poofs out then hangs down.

#2) the weight from my dense new growth makes my scalp hurt weeks 6-12 between relaxers.

#3) My hair with a relaxer can be prone to breakage and tangles

Last edited:
I think this will b a interesting thread. Definitely will subscribe. I wish I could answer your questions but newly BC so I'm sure I have some relearning to do and I will keep these questions in mind and will the answers come I will be back to update them here.

Bumpity bump

Current style/length: relaxed/ 2 inches from BSL

Overal hair type: I dont know

Hair type Specifics: I only moisture and seal my ends daily when wearing down. When im bunning under half wig or just bunning in general I moisturize my whole head from root to tip. My hair is really thick and Im a bit heavy handed with products. When I airdry, my hair is really soft and poofy. My hair responds well to Megatek, it thickens the roots up no later than 48 hours after application. My hair can take a nice amount of protein and seems to lay flat and has more shine when I use it. My stress area is right in the middle of my crown and is extreamly short. I cant even braid/plait it.
Unique Hair behaviors/ challenges: #1)My hair does well with creamy moisturizers
My new growth kicks in at bout 6 weeks
#2) I stretch normally about 10-12 weeks
#3) I have not found the perfect leave in to detangle with
#4) The comb and chase method is the only way to sucessfully flat iron my hair.
#5) Im obsessed with Search and Destroy

Last edited:
Current style/length: natural, top of ears unstretched, full neck length stretched

Hair type Specifics: My hair is tightly spiraled, pen size and smaller coils. I have 2 small 3c patches at the middle nape and top crown part that have Sharpie size coils, and a small 4b patch with no discernible curl pattern except when heavily conditioned and after using a Denman. Fingers alone don't cut it. My strands are thick and dense, and I have around 65-75% shrinkage. I do not have fine hair.

Unique Hair behaviors/ challenges: 1) Even as a natural, my hair requires heavy doses of protein. I attempted to go low-protein and my hair rebelled terribly. As a result, I continue to do Aphogee treatments every 6 weeks, and I use protein deep conditioners every Saturday.

2) The stress of law school caused me to have thinning on the edges of my front hairline, and that area requires a lot of attention to prevent falling out again. I also had a nickel size bald patch in the crown of my head; thankfully it's grown back in, but it took a year, and i must be careful to make sure that hair is properly taken care of.

3) My hair overall is very compliant, and accepts the PJ in me without utterly breaking down. Thank god. It does not, however, like baggying, so I don't do it.

That's all I can think of for now. :grin: I like this thread.

Current style/length: transitioning long layered mbl
natural hair type: 3cish!

When I see Billzbackerz(sp?)and EmpressRi's[both- beautiful hair] hair I see elements of mine.

Hair type Specifics: Naturally I have very soft baby fine strands with high density. When I say my hair is dense, I have always been accused of having a whooole lot of thick hair. It wasn't until I experienced handling it myself I realized that the actual strands are baby fine. An individual hair feels soft, smooth, but as a whole it does have a little coarseness, which is wierd because I always tended to think that silky was the opposite of coarseness, but my hair is both!

Unique Hair behaviors/ challenges: My hair straightens it very easily. It will take the shape that it dries in, but is very susceptible to humidity. I love sabino, because it works for me.My hair has always had a pretty good tolerance of heat as I grew up getting old school presses with afro sheen pressing cream. I have never experienced heat damage it always bounced right back, but I still try to be cautious.

My natural hair loves moisture. As long as it is healthy, it doesn't require or like protein treatments. I learned the hard way. I can use moisturizing products with a smidgen of moisturizing proteins like silk, vegetable.

I had an allergic reaction to fresh henna as a natural, but I can use products like vatika, surya henna where it is processed.
My hair loves oils: olive, sesame, grapeseed, camellia, avocado....and Moisture!!!

As a relaxed head, my hair was happy with a reconstructor at relaxer time and one Emergencia treatment in between relaxers. More than that, there would be a marked difference that needs correction.
My hair cannot take double processing. I learned the hard way. I have had every color I ever wanted, highlights, etc. Unless it was maintained at a salon....Fail- it breaks my hair down too much. Hence you won't see me in any color threads. I used sebastian colorshines successfully when I was natural though.

I've always had a somewhat sensitive scalp that needs tending to, so I never have considered weaves, wigs,extension braids, etc.-More thread subjects that I have nothing to add to.

As a relaxed head I didn't use direct heat and am a low mani person still.
I rollerset weekly and detangling deep conditioners were/are a must.
I treated it like silk-very gently and didn't have breakage issues.

Right now I am transitioning and can't wash my hair loose in sections anymore, because my length clumps with the waves & loops up and creates tangles. I wash/dc in braided sections. Conditioners with behentrimonium methosulfate let me detangle a braided section with my leave in. Any other way and my hair breaks- too much manipulation on my baby fine strands in its weakest state.Things are better now that I realize what I have to do to make it work. I detangle my dry hair in sections with oil and a seamless comb.This is the only way I can do it now rid myself of the shed hair without breakage.

My main challenge right now is finding the balance between the manipulation that my ng and relaxed hair will accept. I think[hope] it will get a little easier as it grows out some more, because I can use more tension without stressing my demarcation line

This is a good thread, OP

I feel so out of the loop, me and my hair are not that intimate. I'm still learning these things.:wallbash:

I do know that I'm a 4a and I have fine strands. I don't know about any patches of anything else. I haven't come across anything that my hair hates yet.

It's thriving so I'm doing something right but I can't wait until I know exactly what my hair needs and when.

Current Style/Length: relaxed, shoulder length

Overall Hair Type: 4a(?)

Hairtype specifics: I love the texture of my natural hair; my fingertips love to tickle through the waves. My new growth causes my hair to have major shrinkage, especially in the back. My hair is thin at the edges, particularly the temples. I think my glasses (I've worn them since I was 7) and heredity are the causes.

Unique Hair Behaviors/Challenges:

• My hair accepts relaxers very well.
  • My hair loves grease especially the more weeks post I become
  • My hair loves products with silk amino acids, wheat protein, Behentrimonium methosulfate and panthenol.
  • I cannot detangle with cheapie cons like V05; it worked once and never again after that. I must use conditioners with the aforementioned products.

Current style/length: Texlaxed, MBL

Overal hair type: 4b/c

Hair type Specifics: My natural hair has no curl pattarn and is a mixture of fine and medium strands with medium density; 4b on the top and sides, with a patch of 4c in the center-back. The 4b section has S-and Z-patterned strands; the 4c section does as well but is more dense and cottony. The 4c section also shrinks more than the 4b areas.

Unique Hair behaviors/ challenges: The 4c section of my hair will not relax straight; that's one reason why I began texlaxing. I do my own touchups, so I just began underprocessing the 4b sections to match the 4c area. Now, I love my head of texlaxed hair because it's stronger, and I can create both natural and straight styles with ease. I don't use direct heat and stretch my texlaxers 13-15 weeks. My current goal is to reach full WL by year-end; I'm only about 2" away, but I want to trim for a blunt cut.

more hair challenges: transitioning is so hard for me because my natural hair is very strong and tightly coiled. I'd rather BC, but i dont have the facial features to carry that look. I'm fascinated by my natural texture.

I can't do low mainpulation routines, like combing once a week only when wet, etc my hair would mat up and dry out.

I suffer from "stress point" damage... basically ponytails, buns, any style that puts stress on my nape and crown cause mechanical damage. Out of habit i gather my hair in the same spot routinely and thats not good.

Current style/length:

• Natural, about 3 or 4 inches all over
Overal hair type:

• 4B
Hair type Specifics:

• My hair is thick (I mean the individual hair strands) and coarse (rough to the touch when dry).
  • It feels similar to barbwire or steel wool :lachen:when it's not moisturized properly.
  • It coils up nicely when moisturized, sometimes my hair looks like that of a 4a hairtype.
Unique Hair behaviors/ challenges:

• Unique behavior: The front of my hair can be straightened easily, while the rest cannot.
  • Challenge: I want to retain almost all the length I achieve (I want a BAA by next year).

This is a GREAT thread OP:yep:- I am looking forward to hearing more from people that share my hair type...

Current style/length: relaxed/texlaxed between SL and CL

Overall hair type: 4a/b

Hair type Specifics:

My hair is naturally coarse, and the actual strands are quite thick and strong and resilient. My hair is low in porosity, which means that my cuticles are closed really really tight, and my hair will never be processed bone straight with a relaxer.I have one patch in the back of my head that is extremely resistant to relaxers. Coarse hair and all, I stick with Regular strength relaxers. My hair is texlaxed but will straighten nicely with a roller set or flat iron.

Unique Hair behaviors

My hair only appears thin because I have low density.I started losing my hair after my 3rd child, so I have been dealing with hair loss for about 6 years now. I would strongly advise anyone that is dealing with hair loss to seek medical attention. I go to a wonderful female Derm that listens to me and respects my choices. One of the things she suggested was Rogaine and I politely told her that was never gonna happen:nono:. I think antifungal natural oils like Castor and coconut are far better options. While I have been able to stop my excessive hair loss, I am starting to realize that I may have thinner hair then I used to and I am fine with that.

challenges:

I have the slowest growing hair in this board.....I think my hair grows about a 1/4' a month or 3 inches a year:wallbash:. I have 2 autoimmune disorders and am on a host of medicines so I really think this may play a part:nono:. Also I have a receding hairline, that no amount of TLC can correct, I feel like I will make progress and then loose it. My signature look, is a left side part. I so wish I could comb all of my hair back from my face, but I might look like some alien from Star Trek if I did that:look:.

I love my hair I really do- I am so knowledgeable about it now. I have tremendous respect for all that me and my hair have gone through.

3c

fine strands

fat marker sized and pencil sized S curls and coils.

somewhat silky texture in its natural state. easy to straighten. doesnt really tangle much at all. seems to grow well. loves water.

Current style/length: Natural / between SL & APL.

Hair type Specifics:

My hair strands are mainly medium. However, my hair is dense so I have a lot of hair. The coils are bigger around the front of my head. Most of the coils are just a tad bigger than a pen spring though. I have some 4b around my hair, which makes it look fuzzy sometimes. When I had a relaxer, it took a looong time to take. My hair is soft when moisturised but gets easily matted and dry.

Unique Hair behaviors/ challenges: #1) The thickness of my hair and my short height means that being between SL & APL is not long enough for things like buns. When I reached APL, it was still hard to do many styles outside of puffs. WL is the ideal length for me.

#2) My hair looks really thick in a puffs, afros or when shrunken but styles like twists or twistouts don't look very full at all.

#3) My hair reacts very quickly to manipulation in the sense that I can leave a twist in my hair for 1 min and my hair will stretch out quite a bit.

Last edited:

Hair type Specifics:

My hair strands are mainly medium. However, my hair is dense so I have a lot of hair. The coils are bigger around the front of my head. Most of the coils are just a tad bigger than a pen spring though. I have some 4b around my hair...My hair is soft when moisturised but gets easily matted and dry.

#2) My hair looks really thick in a puffs, afros or when shrunken but styles like twists or twistouts don't look very full at all.

#3) My hair reacts very quickly to manipulation in the sense that I can leave a twist in my hair for 1 min and my hair will stretch out quite a bit.

Reading about your hair was very interesting, i think we have VERY similiar textures... especially the parts selected and bolded above! My hair is very full looking when airdried but if blown dry, or styled straight it does not look as thick. Your hair is gorgeous and lush btw!

Thanks ladies for contributing :yep:

Current style/length: Relaxed/Bra Strap

Hair type Specifics: My curls are very curly 4a and although my strands are medium-fine, I have a lot of hair. I have more hair on my right side than on my left side..which is weird but you can tell from my pics that my left side is a lil' bit thinner than my right side.

1. My hair tends to be quite thin when relaxed too much, so I can't relax straight..which makes upkeep a little difficult. Fortunatley though, the Ayurveda Regime makes upkeep very easy.
2. My hair tangles a lot..earlier in my hair care journey, I would comb out clumps and clumps of hair..but now I've learned how to deal and detangle my hair (using a LOT of conditioner and detangling under the stream in the shower).

Current style/length: Natural: neck/shoulder layers unstretched, apl/bsl layers stretched

Overall hair type: 3c perimeter, 4a crown

Hair type Specifics: My hair seems thick because it is dense, but my strands are rather fine.

Unique Hair behaviors/ challenges: My hair ranges from coffee stirrer-sized coils to pencil-sized curls. It smooths down extremely well and lays perfectly flat with minimal effort. Styling my hair, like with most hair, is all about technique. I thought my hair would not get perfectly pin straight until I learned the technique. My twist-outs and braid-outs were busted until I got more length and more importantly, learned the technique. There aren't a lot of products my hair hates, it's not picky that way.

Current style/length: Natural/ 9-10 inches of hair (full SL)

Hair type Specifics: My natural hair is very soft and pliable when moisturized but feels coarse and desert dry when not hydrated. To successfully manipulate it I slightly dampen it first. I have a mix of fine /medium strands and medium density. In it's natural state it looks dense but when straightened it looks thin. My coils are tight, frizzy, and the largest are pen spring sized the rest are smaller. My left nape has the most uniform curl pattern and my crown is undefined. My hair reflects light very well and looks shiny (when straight) and sheeny (when natural). It has high porosity and dries quickly. The crown grows the fastest, followed by my bang area. My nape is the slowest. My hairline is slightly weak and I thought it was because of the relaxer but even as a natural I have sparse hair around my edges. My hair tangles very easily. SSKs are a regular occurrence despite protective styling. My hair processes a relaxer fast and straightens easily with a flat iron.

Unique Hair behaviors/ challenges: #1) My hair likes mild protein. I can use anything from wheat protein to animal protein and it doesn't have any adverse affects.

#2) My hair grows about 5 inches/ year and I suspect I lose one inch from breakage, knots, and dustings.

#3) I really cannot keep my hands out my hair. Even when it's in twists, I'll undo one just to pay in my hair.

Current style/length: Natural APL

Overall hair type: I think it's a coarse 3c mostly with 4a in the front

Hair type Specifics: My hair is awesome!! I'm still learning it. It's fluffy, resilient, strong and growing!!

Unique Hair behaviors/ challenges: It's very very dry. Also, I am thinning in the front (always) and need to find something that works to correct that.
My hair 'behaves' very well. In a wash n go it curls up nicely and lets me fluff it out to my content. I'll never have a big *** afro, I realize this, but I'm ok with it now. My hair holds twists well, tho they're flat, and twistouts/braidouts are wonderful.
My hair needs TONS of moisture and responds well to coconut oil for straightening.

I haven't yet straightened when 100% natural so i'll report back on that later.

Great thread!!

Current style/length: natural, between shoulder and apl

Overall hair type:
There's honestly too many...

Hair type Specifics: The nape is 3c, my edges are 4a/b, my crown is 3b or maybe even 3a, and the middle is a mix of 3c and 4a-- by that i mean if i grab a clumped curl and separate the strands the majoraty will be 3c, but about 10% will be 4a... and some strands don't have a type at all... too loose to be 4b, but with no real defined curl or wave pattern, just kinda straight with random bumps or waves.
Unique Hair behaviors/ challenges: What? ^^^ that wasn't enough?? LOL. Well my hair looks completely different when wet than dry. When wet it looks uniformly 3c, when dry it looks almost uniformly 4a-- I think? And there is no point in my flat ironing my hair. When I flat iron it, it looks great. I've gone outside to get the mail, come back in and my hair is a HOT A$$ MESS. I've kind of taken my hair for granted because since It was long before I kinda just KNEW it would grow back...

Current style/length: Natural/Shoulder Length

Overall hair type: 3c

Hair type Specifics: My hair strands themselves are rather fine, although it's densely packed together and THICK! Behind my ears I have about a 1x1" patch of 4a hair that has coffee stirrer curls, whereas the rest of my hair is in S shape waves and curls the size of a Sharpie marker and bigger. I always thought that my hair was hard to deal with (hence the perming) but now that I have BC'd, it's relatively easy and liberating. :yep:

Unique Hair behaviors/ challenges: My hair straigtens SO easily and better if I don't do the Chase method. Also, my hair loves to be balanced with protein AND moisture, and right now my biggest challenge is shrinkage and finding a right balance of products for my new head of hair. Detangling isn't an issue either, there's relatively little to no tangles and I lose very little hair when detangling. I also cowash daily.

Last edited:
I obviously can't answer these questions yet, but what kills me is I read of women who look like they have my hair but call themselves 3s and others who look exactly the same and call themselves 4s.

I thought I knew what a 3 was...even 3a/b

I also thought I knew what a 4 was...same variations.

Clearly, I do not.

I give up.

I have Christi hair.

I'm so confused right now...

cj

Thanks OP for starting this thread --- this will hopefully be so helpful to me -- I was just thinking about how great it would be to find my hair twin/triplets/quadruplets...etc. :grin:

Current style/length: Relaxed / Shoulder Length

Overall hair type: 4ab (4a in the crown, front and center, 4b in the surrounding areas)

Hair type Specifics: My hair in its natural state is comprised of a mixture of medium and course strands. My hair texture is wavy, no coils except for the nape.

#1) My nape area is a problem area and is shorter than the rest of my hair, and I'm in the process of diagnosing whether it's been overprocessed, wrapped too tightly, or rubbed against clothes too much.
#2) My hair thrived with Cream of Nature Relaxers, regular Affirm relaxers (not Affirm Fiberguard -- texture was kind of hard). I'm going to try Syntonics next time (because my new stylist only has this and Fiberguard -- and I didn't like the Fiberguard feel).
#3) My hair likes protein. It thrived with Salerm 21 and Infusium 23 leave-ins for a long time.
#4) I think that Hawaiian Silky 14n1 makes my hair dry. I'm not sure why -- I have to figure out what ingredients are causing this. I'm desperately searching for the perfect daily moisturizer.
#5) Motions Moisture Plus conditioner seemed to make my hair dry and poofy when it dried...need to study the ingredients to figure out why.
#6) ACV Rinses after DCing make my hair feel so soft and detangled.

Last edited:
Current style/length: Natural, SL (i.e. at collarbone in the front and equivalent place in the back)

Hair type Specifics: mostly 4a, some 3c patches. My hair has a mix of course and fine strands. This makes it a bad idea for me to wear twists or braids for long periods because the course/wiry strands will cut into the fine strands, resulting in holes down the hair shaft and breakage.

Unique Hair behaviors/ challenges
My hair drinks up as much moisture as I give it, but it also thrives on protein. It does best when I use protein at regular intervals (i.e. moisturizing DC 3 times, then protein DC the 4th time). It loves products that have a good mix of moisture and protein, such as Giovanni's 50:50 conditioner, Sebastian 2+1, etc. My hair shrinks like crazy. Whether my hair is earlength or APL it looks the same in it's shrunken state. It must be allowed to dry in fat braids/twists to avoid tangling.

I totally feel you. I have the same problem - I have been told I have 4a/b hair and someone also suggested I was 3c. I haven't even BC'd yet so I'm just going to leave it alone till then. From what I've seen, I might be a 4.

Current style/length: relaxed, between SL and APL

Overall hair type: Dunno

Hair type Specifics: So far all I know is - it's very coily with a lot of shrinkage.

1. I have fine strands
2. I prefer to detangle (with a comb) my damp hair after applying my leave in
3. My hair loves protein in light doses

I obviously can't answer these questions yet, but what kills me is I read of women who look like they have my hair but call themselves 3s and others who look exactly the same and call themselves 4s.

I thought I knew what a 3 was...even 3a/b

I also thought I knew what a 4 was...same variations.

Clearly, I do not.

I give up.

I have Christi hair.

I'm so confused right now...

cj

Last edited:
I totally feel you. I have the same problem - I have been told I have 4a/b hair and someone also suggested I was 3c. I haven't even BC'd yet so I'm just going to leave it alone till then. From what I've seen, I might be a 4.

Current style/length: relaxed, between SL and APL

Overall hair type: Dunno

Hair type Specifics: So far all I know is - it's very coily with a lot of shrinkage.

1. I have fine strands
2. I prefer to detangle (with a comb) my damp hair after applying my leave in
3. My hair loves protein in light doses

Your coils are beautiful!!!!

In my opinion, not that you asked :grin:, but i'd say you are a 3c/4a... the main difference between a 3c and 4a, IMO, is the size of the coils, your hair seems to grow out like a straw set, which is beautiful. definitely not a 4b, you're hair has too much of a defined wave/coil pattern for that category.

Current style/length: Natural/between 7" and 10"

Overall hair type: 3c

Hair type Specifics: Fine, dense 3c hair, except for a patch of 4a at the crown. My nape is probably 3b, but I just call it 3c. My texture ranges from wavy to Sharpie-sized curls to pencil-sized curls.

Unique Hair behaviors/ challenges: My hair grows at a rate of .5" per month, but retention in the crown is my major problem. I am constantly cutting my hair so that the crown area can catch up (cut 2x this year already, and I was determined not to). I have to maintain a balance of protein and moisture to resist breakage and minimize shedding. An ayurvedic regimen is helping to release the 4a curl so that it more closely matches the rest. It no longer gets severely dry. I cannot cowash daily because it causes single strand knotting and more breakage. I am sticking to rollersets, twistouts and loose buns for daily styling. I only detangle with a comb on wash day.

Current style/length: Natural/MBL

Overall hair type: 3C - with some 3b in the back

Hair type Specifics: My natural hair is medium/thick and it soaks up moisture like crazy. It is frizzy in the front and back/crown area, very dry there and prone to extra shrinkage. When I do a wash and go my natural hair is wavy in the front and crown, will curl up at the ends in most areas. As it grows its getting wavier. We have a good relationship... as long as I do what it says. :yep:

1. I can detangle my hair in less than a minute as long as I have a good conditioner with slip
  2. The very front of my hair is wavy, the rest is curly, so that equals a hot mess if I don't do my hair right.
  3. My hair is very dry, especially in the winter, and so sheabutter and other butters does my hair good

Back