What's wrong with no lye relaxers!!!!!!

mahogani

What\'s wrong with no lye relaxers!!!!!!

i just wanted to know what's wrong with no lye relaxers i've tried a relaxer with lye once and it was too strong for my hair and eventually my hair began to break.I currently use a no lye relaxer { Botanicals by soft and beautiful} and i've been using it for a while and i experience no breakage at all.Just curious to know of everyone's transition to lye. /images/graemlins/look.gif

Re: What\'s wrong with no lye relaxers!!!!!!

Hi mahogani, /images/graemlins/wave.gif

If you've been using this particular relaxer and have had no problems, then please don't change it. If it's working, let it work. In a nutshell, though the no-lye relaxer is easier on the scalp, it dries the hair out much more than the lye relaxer. Many of us who have transitioned to the lye relaxer have noticed an improvement in our hair. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've read several times that no-lye relaxers don’t straighten and smooth the hair as well as lye. Which isn't much of a problem you have a loose curl pattern (Type 2 or 3). But kinkier hair strands (Type 4) will dry up from the inside to the outside. It will eventually end up under-processed, dry, dull and hard.
I can't speak for everyone, but it was certainly true in my case. When I got a touch-up with a lye relaxer in 2000-01 I could tell the difference immediately. The hair that had been relaxed with lye was straighter, softer and silkier than the other hair. (I had also started taking vitamins for hair health a few weeks earlier...) It also never "reverted". My no-lye relaxed hair always got frizzy after 3-4 weeks. My whole head--not just the new growth. I had to straighten with a blow dryer every day to get the straight look. Stylists always wanted to comb my relaxers through to the ends but I knew better than that!

if you are not experiencing no adverse reactions to no lye then stick to it. most people here who have used no lye and switched to lye switched because they were having problems with their hair been dry, looking damaged and not remaining smooth once wet. since switching from no lye to lye my hair looks totally different. the ends look frizzy and dry while the top with the lye looks silky and shiny. so the switch for me was because i was tired of struggling with my hair's condition after it was relaxed. also using lye makes me less afraid of washing. the part with the lye when wet and even air dried looks silky and smooth while the no lye parts looks frizzy. it takes some smoothing products to tame it. so for me lye has really been the best choice. however if your hair is fine with no lye i dont think you need to change. like that saying if it aint broke dont fix it. God bless you all.

I agree, if you are experiencing no problems. Then don't change. Just practice healthy hair care habits.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
mahogani said:
i just wanted to know what's wrong with no lye relaxers i've tried a relaxer with lye once and it was too strong for my hair and eventually my hair began to break.I currently use a no lye relaxer { Botanicals by soft and beautiful} and i've been using it for a while and i experience no breakage at all.Just curious to know of everyone's transition to lye. /images/graemlins/look.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

They're drying and I believe they leave a build up on your hair, Calcium Hydroxide.

For me I don't use no lye relaxers anymor because
They are more drying to my hair.
It doesn't relax as well as lye relxers
If you have a curl left in your hair after relaxing with a no lye then go over it again, you won't be able to straighten it anymore as the curl pattern remains "locked"
The smell makes me feel sick.

Good question mahogani /images/graemlins/smile.gif I've been asking the same thing but the thing for me is, using no-lye relaxers hasn't worked for me, so I decided to switch(making the big switch Feb. 8th) I will keep you ladies posted w/ my results /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Back