What's the best box relaxer?

DreamLife

My hairdresser uses Design Essentials and that has worked ok, but I am about to start relaxing my own hair starting tommorrow. Its sort of on impulse because I'm tired of arguing about not getting my hair trimmed so I'm just done with her. So I need to go to the store and get a box relaxer that is similar to Design Essentials. I have also used Mizani in the past and that was good. Please help.

ETA: Im 4b, more like 4z with very dry roots!

Last edited:
My favorite is Mizani Butter Blend. I also like ORS and CON. Phyto is really good too, if you don't mind spending the $$$.

Where can you buy Mizani Butter Blend? I just went to Sally's and I didn't see that one. Someone else told me ORS was good.

Elasta qp. They give you everything you need for your hair in that box. For just 5 bucks. A leave in A deep conditioner. etc. plus the relaxer is very good to hair( my hair) it leave it moisturized not dry like the others HTH

Last edited:
I love love love Organic Root Stimulator No-Lye. Ever since I started self-relaxing with it, my hair has been so moisturized and shiny and soft! It comes with the best products too: the ors shampoo is absolutely amazing and slipful and the replenishing conditioner is of course a great protein con!

Soft & Beautiful with Triple Hydration Oil

Soft, silky results, no burns, no dry, strawlike hair. Excellent!!! :yep:

moz-screenshot-2.jpg
spacer.gif
Soft, Silky, Healthy hair begins with Soft & Beautiful™. Relaxers are infused with the unique Triple Hydration Oil™ formula to surround your hair with moisture and provide ultimate protection. A complete range of styling products allows you the versatility to style with confidence.

Hawaiian Silky Really does leave your hair silky :yep: PCJ Lye also left my hair silky and shiny.

ORS is an all around good relaxer. It has a lot of straightening power and after using it my hair felt soft.

If you have coarse, hard to relax hair, I'd go with ORS.

I think Dark n Lovely hands own. I'm not sure what's up with my hair, but it didn't like ORS at all which surprised me b/c my hair loves everything else they make.

I love ORS. It has always worked for me. My stylist swicthed to something else on me, and my scalped always itched( not a good sign.:nono:) But, when I self relaxed, I use ORS. It has done me well!:grin:

It doesn't come in a box but it is still no-lye, Hawaiian Silky NO-Mix No Lye. It comes in a jar, maybe 5-6 bucks at most. Gave me one of the pleasant self relaxing experiences ever.

ORS no lye.. hands down the best!
It comes with EVERYTHING you need for your relaxer plus styling afterward. my hair loves this stuff.

When I used to relax, I always used Optimum Care. It has everything in the box. Including something to put on your ends to protect them.. They have the kind for fine hair up to super strength. I put all my cousins perms in, and thats the only kind I use on their hair. You don't have to leave it on long if you don't want to. Its usually on their hair the time it takes to get all their hair and I smooth over the roots a bit longer before I rinse. Prob around 15 or 20 mins give or take. We never had any problems with damage. They all have BSL. Your roots will be bone straight.

don't sleep on profectiv....it's a cheapie but used to use it before to self relax and I always got good results and no burns. The box has everything....the pre laxer treatment so you won't overlap........the neutralizing foam shampoo and some DC ....also has moisturizer.

Soft & Beautiful with Triple Hydration Oil

Soft, silky results, no burns, no dry, strawlike hair. Excellent!!! :yep:

spacer.gif
Soft, Silky, Healthy hair begins with Soft & Beautiful™. Relaxers are infused with the unique Triple Hydration Oil™ formula to surround your hair with moisture and provide ultimate protection. A complete range of styling products allows you the versatility to style with confidence.

Exactly, I only use this relaxer....I love the post relaxer treatment that comes with it also....:yep:

ORS is looking like a winner...going to pick it up tommorrow after church! Thanks everyone for all of your input...this site is soooo helpful in so many ways!

I don't self relax, but back in the day, my stylist used Hawaiian Silky lye formula; I don't recall if it was regular or super, but my hair was growing like a weed and all I did was wrap it every night. Mind you, this was in 1993 and I have no recollection as to what other products I was using. Then, of course, since I was going to my first "real" job, she told me I needed a "professional" look and cut it without my permission! :wallbash: The cut was cute, but she cut at least 2 inches off!! Boo!

A box relaxer is a no-lye relaxer. If you were getting a lye relaxer, I strongly recommend that you don't switch to no-lye.

A box relaxer is a no-lye relaxer. If you were getting a lye relaxer, I strongly recommend that you don't switch to no-lye.

Hey Supergirl...I don't know much about lye and no lye, but isn't no lye usually with the activator step that you had to mix? Thats how the design essentials was that my hairdresser used so I'm assuming that its no lye.

Update: I used ORS and I loved the results! I'm sneaking on here at work...Will post a pic later. LOL.

Back