What the Hell Happened with My Texturizer?

options

I texturized my hair a few days ago with Silk Elements Texturizer in regular strength. Application and processing time totaled about 13 minutes on my 4A/B hair. Upon washing and conditioning, it seemed much softer, easier to comb thru and with more obvious waves and curls. Well, I did a dry set (rollers on dry hair) and it came out pretty cute, like lightly pressed hair that had been curled. Then I tried to see what would happen if I attempted a wash & go. I conditioner washed it, combed it thru and put in IC Polisher Gel with Sparkle Lites and some IC Polish Drops with Aloe. Well, the outcome was an afro with absolutely no definition that looks almost just like my natural hair air-dried, only the shrinkage is not as pronounced and it feels slightly softer.

Did something go wrong? Because at this point, there is minimal difference between this and my totally natural hair. I mean, I feel like I could never re-apply a texturizer and it would all totally blend in. I don't know what to do. I want a looser pattern but I don't want to risk going too straight nor do I want to risk damage from re-applying a chemical over hair that has already been slightly processed. Help! Help! Help!

/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Sounds like your hair is underprocessed, because that's what my hair was like the first time i had it texturized in Dec, 2003. I applied a chemical over my hair once by a stylist and the last time with the help of my sister, i used mild strength for 5-8 minutes to get the texture i desired, it worked out well in the end.

Experiement with products and try to get used to it first that it why its always best to perform strand tests first to get an idea of the results you want. You netrualise and condition strands then allow them to airdry. This would be the best bet. I'm not telling you to put a chemical over again, its best that you don't.

also with texturized hair, it tends to revert, even though it may appear processed enough on the day, it usually isn't, the bonds aren't completly broken down which preserves the natural curl, that is why i try to stay away from frequent shampooing and the application of heavy protein products, soon after relaxing to avoid too much reversion.

Maybe you should try a shake and go again but this time after you condition...don't comb it through...Just apply your products and shake it.

I'd recommend trying different products for wash & go's to see what works for your hair. My hair is the same way with many products. Also, I have to use a lot of product to have a curly look.

Hey options,

I am not familiar with the IC products you mentioned, but you may want to try again with a lot of "leave-in" conditioner (Suave products work well for me) and maybe some Sta-Sof-Fro.

You might want to do a wet roller set and wear your hair straight for a few days- the relaxer doesn't need to "take", but wearing stretched styles w/ minimal conditioner washes for about a week can help maximize the effect.

I wouldn't process again anytime soon...

Hey there, you sound exactly like me. My hair when air-dried looks maybe 1/2 a level looser than my natural hair. But it's much easier to straighten with heat...I just use a ceramic flat-iron. And, I suspect that this will help alot w/ stretching out my relaxers.

I thought about (and asked around in here) about processing it again, and we all agreed that I shouldn't. I mean, you might be all day/week trying to get that perfect texture that you want. If you're hair is long enough, just do a braid or twist-out for that curly look. Otherwise, just wear it straight for a while and then wait for at least a month. I know that's gonna hurt having to wait, but it might be best. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

When I used to texturize I found that the texturizer kinda "wore off" with every wash - which made my hair seem closer and closer to its natural texture. I didn't know about underprocessing at the time - but I guess it's possible that my hair was. I'd say about once a year when touching-up I'd retexturize the entire length to get the desired texture I wanted.

All I can say is that you arent supposed to comb a shake n go. that will definitely turn your hair into a huge puff..this happened to me both relaxed and natural. I would also recommend a leave in and a creamy moistuizer to scrunch your hair. The gel works for some time but after a while you get buildup. I noticed this when I used the IC products. I use Mango butter for shaken goes.

[ QUOTE ]
All I can say is that you arent supposed to comb a shake n go. that will definitely turn your hair into a huge puff..this happened to me both relaxed and natural. I would also recommend a leave in and a creamy moistuizer to scrunch your hair. The gel works for some time but after a while you get buildup. I noticed this when I used the IC products. I use Mango butter for shaken goes.

[/ QUOTE ]

True /images/graemlins/up.gif

Thanks for the insight, ladies.

I am not going to re-process it for now. I'll try to wait at least four to six weeks. I didn't realize that about the shake & go, about combing thru it. I had read so much about other women combing conditioner through their hair and getting good results, so I assumed that was what I should do. Right now, I am sitting here doing double strand twists, which is something I wanted to avoid having to do as much - if at all - in applying the texturizer.

The only thing it seems like the texturizer really did was lessen the shrinkage, which is good, but only just a part of the result I desired. The other good thing is that I didn't overprocess; I'd rather underprocess than do that. That way, at least I can leave it alone and basically resume as a natural or I can try to go back and correct it a little later on.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated though.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the insight, ladies.

I am not going to re-process it for now. I'll try to wait at least four to six weeks. I didn't realize that about the shake & go, about combing thru it. I had read so much about other women combing conditioner through their hair and getting good results, so I assumed that was what I should do. Right now, I am sitting here doing double strand twists, which is something I wanted to avoid having to do as much - if at all - in applying the texturizer.

The only thing it seems like the texturizer really did was lessen the shrinkage, which is good, but only just a part of the result I desired. The other good thing is that I didn't overprocess; I'd rather underprocess than do that. That way, at least I can leave it alone and basically resume as a natural or I can try to go back and correct it a little later on.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated though.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you want to comb through with conditioner you can...but after you detangle add more conditioner and let your hair sit for the duration of the shower. Rinse when you are done and shake your hair like a wet dog..not too hard though becasue you still want your hair to have some water in it. Then add a spray leave in and then scrunch with whatever product you want. After a few minutes give it one more gentle shake and you should get the desired results. You may have to experiment with a leave in and a scrunching product.

oh yeah, DO NOT towel dry your hair. This will make it frizzy. If the water is bothering you, lightly towel squeeze or walk around with the towel on your shoulders.

Hey Options...the first time I got my hair texturized I was so scared it would come out too straight that I ended up under processing it...you can see it in my album. The second time I waited 10 weeks before redoing it and it came out fine. I think you should wait a while before you do anything else. It sucked for me trying to work with my hair the first time when I underprocessed it because I was not prepared to deal with natural hair...I put braids in and wore wigs for 10 weeks until I could do it over and now its great...Don't be discouraged though...

Back