WHAT THE H double hockey sticks HAPPENED TO MY BEAUTIFUL CORNROWS????

Mandy4610

I am so annoyed!
I washed my hair today, one week and 3 days after getting the cornrows and they are sooooooooooo fuzzy. They look like I have hard them for atleast 2.5wks, they look just about ready to be taken out!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What happened?
Did I wash too hard? Is this normal?

I wish I could post pics but I am at a workshop so I can't at the moment.

I paid $60 for this and I was so in love with this cornrows, you guys saw how happy I was:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forum6/thread500802.html#post12039170
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forum6/thread501356.html

They are also very loose from my scalp if that makes any sense. Its as if I just grew half an inch in a week and a couple of days. Very weird. I feel like I wont get my $60 worth from this.
I don't know if I will get 4 weeks as I wanted.

Awwww, I'm sorry. Honestly, if I were wearing cornrows as a style, I would just cleanse my scalp, perhaps just using a cotton ball and astringent a la jenboo. I wear cornrows under my wigs and they are always fuzzy after I wash them, but then again, I'm not very careful in how i wash them because I know they're not gonna see the light of day.

Maybe some one can come in and give tips on how to refresh them.

I think it is the method used for adding hair... the method of continuously adding hair as you go along rather than adding the bulk initialy created that gorgeous increase in thickness, but it can often reduce tension. A good portion of your own hair is exposed much like when you add hair and the end of a cornrow, so it allows your natural hair to frizz out like a natural braid without any extentions at all.

Your braider should have told you not to wash wash them... and if you did need to wash simply use diluted shampoo in a color applicator bottle and run it over the braids...no lathering no scrubing! and lightly pat dry then tie them down to keep the frizz at bay.

ETA: lightly mist and tie down with a silk or satin scarf overnight and see if that doesnt help! I would hate to see such gorgeous work go to waste

You have to be gentle with cornrows...it's usually better to use some witch hazel and a cotton ball to clean the scalp, and then follow up with a gentle rinse under the shower head. And when you dry, use a t-shirt or microfiber cloth...not a regular towel. And of course, squeeze and pat the water out...no rubbing. Or put on a wig cap and wash with that on, so you aren't in contact with the braids themselves. The key is just to manipulate them as little as possible, which is why braid sprays and stuff are recommended over rubbing on moisturizer and stuff.

But if your cornrows are suddenly really really lose, it could also be that your braider wasn't especially skilled, and didn't braid as tightly as she/he should have. I don't believe anyone can grow half an inch of hair in a week, so I don't think it's hair growth that's to blame.

Sorry this happened to you.

Yeah I agree with the others. you washed them :ohwell: Im sorry that it happened I loved that style. What happened to your braids is what basically happens to my cornrows with or without extension hair regardless if I wash them or not :lol:

Sorry - your hair was so hotttt! I always wash through a net or stocking cap when I have cornrows to alleviate frizzing. Or you can try to use diluted shampoo with an applicator bottle to get to your scalp. Good luck in salvaging it, sometimes a few days of being tied down will help!

I think it is the method used for adding hair... the method of continuously adding hair as you go along rather than adding the bulk initialy created that gorgeous increase in thickness, but it can often reduce tension. A good portion of your own hair is exposed much like when you add hair and the end of a cornrow, so it allows your natural hair to frizz out like a natural braid without any extentions at all.

Your braider should have told you not to wash wash them... and if you did need to wash simply use diluted shampoo in a color applicator bottle and run it over the braids...no lathering no scrubing! and lightly pat dry then tie them down to keep the frizz at bay.

ETA: lightly mist and tie down with a silk or satin scarf overnight and see if that doesnt help! I would hate to see such gorgeous work go to waste

I agree with all of the above.

MAndy, you know you are one of my favorites as far as your creative styles. I'm sorry they got jacked so fast.

Awwww, I'm sorry. Honestly, if I were wearing cornrows as a style, I would just cleanse my scalp, perhaps just using a cotton ball and astringent a la jenboo. I wear cornrows under my wigs and they are always fuzzy after I wash them, but then again, I'm not very careful in how i wash them because I know they're not gonna see the light of day.

Maybe some one can come in and give tips on how to refresh them.

ITA.. you can't wash cornrows..maybe box braids? but really some sea breeze a couple times a week is good enough..you just got them done? y the manipulation so soon?

That's why I never wash my cornrows (unless they are under a wig/headwrap or something). They are bound to get really fuzzy no matter how gentle I am, stocking cap or not. But I also don't wear them more than two weeks. Like others stated, use witch hazel to cleanse the scalp if you absolutely must. Cornrows really isn't a style made for frequent washing.

ITA.. you can't wash cornrows..maybe box braids? but really some sea breeze a couple times a week is good enough..you just got them done? y the manipulation so soon?
Girl my scalp was itchy like crazy. I have been having major scalp issues lately. I had flakes so I figured I needed to shampoo. I think the scalp problem is the main issue here, thats what caused me to wash.

Sorry boo. It is what it is with Cornrows. Can't do much about it. Freshest is always bestest. Try cleaning your scalp with quetips to help it last longer. make sure to use your silk or satin scarf as well while you sleep.

You have to be gentle with cornrows...it's usually better to use some witch hazel and a cotton ball to clean the scalp, and then follow up with a gentle rinse under the shower head. And when you dry, use a t-shirt or microfiber cloth...not a regular towel. And of course, squeeze and pat the water out...no rubbing. Or put on a wig cap and wash with that on, so you aren't in contact with the braids themselves. The key is just to manipulate them as little as possible, which is why braid sprays and stuff are recommended over rubbing on moisturizer and stuff.

But if your cornrows are suddenly really really lose, it could also be that your braider wasn't especially skilled, and didn't braid as tightly as she/he should have. I don't believe anyone can grow half an inch of hair in a week, so I don't think it's hair growth that's to blame.

Sorry this happened to you.

Ditto what Chaosbutterfly said!

Yeah too much manipulation during your wash will do that. I'm rocking some cornrows (my own hair only) right now...I rinse almost daily cause i'm on a mission to get rid of this baby weight!
I also don't put alot of time or effort into styling my cornrows...they are braided into a mohawk so I either braid the tail or leave it out...that's the extent of my creativity! LOL!

exactly..why would you wash cornrows...?
cornrows require low manipulation....and you just got them done...?

Yeah I agree with the others. you washed them :ohwell: Im sorry that it happened I loved that style. What happened to your braids is what basically happens to my cornrows with or without extension hair regardless if I wash them or not :lol:

Ditto. This is why I don't do cornrows. Not only does it wear my arms out to do them since I have to keep them up, but I find it hard to properly wash my head and I need to feel my scalp so I don't really keep 'em well. I like singles because I can refresh them one at a time and also I seem not to mess them up as much as I would cornrows during a wash. When I wear cornrows (usually w/o extensions), I have to redo them in a week otherwise they don't look too tidy.

i never knew you weren't supposed to wash in cornrows. when i wear cornrows i wash multiple times a week and they still look good.

sorry this happened. they were really pretty.

Back