What should I do with this dry dry hair?

TBird

Ladies I have extremely dry 4b hair. I've been doing co washes and letting my hair air dry. This morning it looked so bad and I didn't want to do a bun, so I flatironed it. It has a lot of body which is great, but its so dull looking. What can I do to give my hair sheen without weighing it down? I don't know how to get shine without sacrificing my bounce. Please help. TIA!!!!

Tbird, it sounds like u need a good moisturizing deep conditioner and a good leave in for the dryness.

Also, to give your hair sheen withough losing bounce, I would suggest using a small amount of serum or hair polisher. Also, I like a little mizani shyne when Im wearing my hair down. a dab of oil will also add sheen. Whatever u decide to use, just use a little bit and it should turn out fine!

If your hair is dull and you've been doing conditioner washes, I'm wondering if you should try a clarifying treatment. Maybe your hair has a buildup that's preventing the moisture from fully penetrating the hair...
Take care,
G

i'd also like to add...
try a preshampoo treatment of warmed olive oil and honey (and conditioner) to ur hair. u could also try adding honey to ur conditioner as well. That should help with the moisture. When i was at the salon, there was a dominican product that the lady told me was for dry hair and it was "cod liver oil" conditioner (that wasn't the name but find something with that in the title) and you should b good to go
smile.gif

Thanks Greenidlady and sithembile. I never thought to clarify. And CH you're always a big help. I'll definitely try it.

You might also want to try Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Sheen Spray - it gives a nice "instant sheen", and may help seal in the moisture from the conditioner washes.

u know now that u guys mentioned it, a few weeks ago I was having a similar problem(my hair felt dry and stiff) and I clarified, then deep conditioned with some humectress mixed with honey and some other goodies and the results were wonderful!

[ QUOTE ]
CaramelHonee said:
i'd also like to add...
try a preshampoo treatment of warmed olive oil and honey (and conditioner) to ur hair. u could also try adding honey to ur conditioner as well. That should help with the moisture. When i was at the salon, there was a dominican product that the lady told me was for dry hair and it was "cod liver oil" conditioner (that wasn't the name but find something with that in the title) and you should b good to go
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I did a hot oil treatment of amla oil mixed w/ castor oil and my hair was very soft. If after you clarify and your hair is still dry, try a hot oil treatment, too. You'll figure out what your hair needs soon enough.

What should i use to clarify? Now for my prepoo treatments I have coconut oil, dabur amla oil, and honey. Should I mix all of these together with conditioner as a hotoil treatment? And for a good daily moisturizer. This is where I'm having the trouble. I used QP's mango butter (alright) made my hair a little dry, Pantene R&N daily moisturizer
down.gif
. So what can I use daily for type extremely dry 4b hair that won't weigh it down but will penetrate effectively? This morning I spritzed with my homemade spritz and applied the serum, its a little better than yesterday but not much. As Pantene puts it I want hair so healthy it shines, and I'm having a hard time get any shine.
frown.gif
You guys have been great so far, keep the tips coming.

Oh and are these the steps.
1. clarify (shampoo)
2. deep condition
3. moisturize

If I clarify should I do a prepoo hot oil treatment?

any clarifying shampoo. I use keracare first lather... suave makes a good one 2. u can use those prods u listed for your pre-poo treatment (warm them up first). Apply the conditioner first to pre-dampened hair (not soaking just dam), and then apply the warmed up oils/honey (it'll go on better b/c ur hair is premoistened). As for daily moisturizing, i use profective breakfree (leave in), profective healthy ends and tigi ego boost. On the length of my bun, I use regular conditioner or surge woogee creme. My hair NEVER looks dry anymore
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
TBird said:
Oh and are these the steps.
1. clarify (shampoo)
2. deep condition
3. moisturize

If I clarify should I do a prepoo hot oil treatment?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, don't do the pre-poo treatment on the day u clarify. Wait until the next wash
smile.gif
You should only be clarifying once per month.

How did you lose the weight? You look nice. I am trying to lose about 20 pounds before my sons wedding in september.

Is everyone mixing the humectress w/ olive oil and honey? I have a liter of it and it isn't doing it for my hair. How long do you leave it on?

i can suggest one thing, use hair oil first and keep it for atlest 1 hrs or overnight, then use shampoo in the morning with conditioner, you will see difference. Youcan purchase hair oil and shampoo at www.naturalplaza.com and that works very good,. they are offering free shipping within USA for just $15 order.

CH, last night I co washed my hair and saturated my hair with EQP's Mango Butter until my hair was almost white. Added a little NTM serum and let it airdry. Today its soft, shiny, no greasy feel, and smells great. Thanks for your help.

HEYYY!!!
grin.gif

That's good. Did you by any chance see CCD's thread? She mentioned adding honey AND olive oil to her olive cholesterol treatment and she had beautiful results
smile.gif
Shiny and bouncy curls ...

I did and her hair looked great. I've been doing the honey thing and I'm not all that happy with it. But I never thought about adding it to my cholesterol treatments. I wanted to try the hollywood beauty cholesterol you mentioned but can't find it anywhere. Do you think the Lustrasilk will be just as good?

Back