what really works?

Summer_Rain

so i'm obsessed with hair growth now..i've trolled numerous sites, made some homemade concotions...i've become a vita-feign, water-head, no heat using, MTG'er, MN with Cayenne&Flaxseed mixin freak!

so whats really working for me? or is just a combo of it all? if you had to give someone advice, based off your own regimen, could you pinpoint any one stand alone product that has "definitely" contributed to your hairsuccess?

I think the success I have had with my hair itself has not been as a result of any "growth" products. My good/bad hair health as been because of my care.

But, for help in adding a little extra jet to my growth, I have to say that MN has given me that. I have never really used other things so I cannot compare. I never mixed it with anything.

A few years ago, I had some major breakage in a spot. I got some braids and everyday I used that ORS hair fertilizer on that spot. That stuff really helped so it must really be good, too.

Okay I am still pretty new to the growth thing, so I can't comment on that but...I have seen a difference in the health of my hair and I attribute that mostly to maintaining a protein moisture balance. Daily moisturizing, no brushing, wide tooth comb, and washing and conditioning my hair 2 times/week.

I would have to say that wearing protective styles daily has contributed to most of my hair growth. In the past (before LHCF) I used to wear my hair down nearly everyday.... and wondered why it always remained the same length, with thin, raggedy ends. I also never moisturized, and combed it frequently throughout the day, w/a regular-toothed comb.

Since that time, I have learned that my hair thrives with:

-minimal manipulation (ie, bunning most days, not combing it)
-moisture, moisture, moisture (water-based then oil-based to seal in)
-relaxing less frequently
-more balanced diet and vitamins to make up for whatever nutrients Im missing
-MTG several times throughout the week

Although most of these practices may sound like common sense to many folks who arent even into hair care..... I was very naive and doing a whole bunch of things to derail my goals.

Thank the LAWD that ive since seen the light.:lachen:

I think different methods work for different people. For myself, I'm a very active person. I like to exercise on the regular. Because of this, I wear my hair in protective styles because it's just easier- no fuss about it all. I also don't go overboard with the hair vitamins. The only ones I take are for my general health: a daily mineral supplement, one B-12 pill and an iron pill. That's about it. Lots of water is a huge help too. Keeps your skin clear and your system flushed.

KiniKakes said:
I would have to say that wearing protective styles daily has contributed to most of my hair growth. In the past (before LHCF) I used to wear my hair down nearly everyday.... and wondered why it always remained the same length, with thin, raggedy ends. I also never moisturized, and combed it frequently throughout the day, w/a regular-toothed comb.

Since that time, I have learned that my hair thrives with:

-minimal manipulation (ie, bunning most days, not combing it)
-moisture, moisture, moisture (water-based then oil-based to seal in)
-relaxing less frequently
-more balanced diet and vitamins to make up for whatever nutrients Im missing
-MTG several times throughout the week

Although most of these practices may sound like common sense to many folks who arent even into hair care..... I was very naive and doing a whole bunch of things to derail my goals.

Thank the LAWD that ive since seen the light.:lachen:
which water-based moiturizer do you use followed by which oil sealer? also how do you like MTG? I am currently using sulfur with castor oil on my scalp to avoid the smell of MTG...im not sure if it is yielding the same results as MTG would because i have never used MTG. i am also getting conflicting messages on this board, some people are saying run like the plague from putting any form of oil on your scalp - it clogs pores and doen't allow the hair to grow, and others that swear by it and say that MTG or sulfur or wild hair growth oil made thier hair grow soo fast. I do not want to impede my progress...i just want to achieve my goal of waistlength by 2007. Any suggestions??

As far as my own personal experience:

I personally don't believe there are any topical products that can enhance your hair growth. I think there there are some that can be used for hair loss, but to increase your hair growth, I don't think they work.

I do believe that vitamins and supplements do work. Taking care of your hair and maintaining moisture, conditioning and careful handling also contribute to successful hair growth.

I've tried almost everything and now I'm back to just the basics and my hair is doing better.

The best advice I could give is:
Patience
Airdrying
Stetching Relaxers 12 weeks or more
Vitamin Supplements - particulary Bitoin
LOTS OF MOISTURE !

You'll see the difference and the growth over time. :)

SummerRain said:
so i'm obsessed with hair growth now..i've trolled numerous sites, made some homemade concotions...i've become a vita-feign, water-head, no heat using, MTG'er, MN with Cayenne&Flaxseed mixin freak!

so whats really working for me? or is just a combo of it all? if you had to give someone advice, based off your own regimen, could you pinpoint any one stand alone product that has "definitely" contributed to your hairsuccess?

mine was all the above while leaving the hair alone in protective styles. the one thing that made a difference is the way i care for my hair before it was plain abuse and overmanipulation now that i know how to retain hair i been working on growing my hair faster. I mean just with protective styles you could retain what you grow but a little help does not hurt either God bless vitamins, topical aids,msm. cowashes, exercise, baggy method, hair oils, essential oils....:lachen: :grin: i feel like i have a new head and when i just leave my hair covered and check the progress a month after i m always pleasantly surprised. i dont check anymore and i havent updated the last couple of months i dont even see my hair i just apply the stuff and follow my regimen to the t. hopefully i ll see results soon lol:grin:

amorette said:
which water-based moiturizer do you use followed by which oil sealer? also how do you like MTG? I am currently using sulfur with castor oil on my scalp to avoid the smell of MTG...im not sure if it is yielding the same results as MTG would because i have never used MTG. i am also getting conflicting messages on this board, some people are saying run like the plague from putting any form of oil on your scalp - it clogs pores and doen't allow the hair to grow, and others that swear by it and say that MTG or sulfur or wild hair growth oil made thier hair grow soo fast. I do not want to impede my progress...i just want to achieve my goal of waistlength by 2007. Any suggestions??

I apply a water-based moisturizer to the length and ends of my hair, then seal in the moisturizer with carrier/essential oils. Both steps are imperative. I learned this from our resident hair consultant, Sista: Using oil alone on the roots or length of the hair is nourishing, but not moisturizing. The oil alone will suffocate/block out moisture and leave your hair drier. So the water-based moisturizer should be applied first, then sealed in with oils.

WATER BASED-MOISTURIZERS that I use:

Organic Root Stimulator (ORS) Olive Oil

OR

Cantu Shea Butter: Break Cure & Strengthening Treatment

CARRIER OILS that I seal ends (only) with:

Wild Growth Hair Oil

OR

KeraCare Essential Oils (Sunflower Seed Oil, Peanut Oil, Castor Oil,
Coconut Oil, Jojoba Oil, Sesame Oil, Aloe Vera Oil, Almond Oil, Olive Oil) <--- This smell sooo yum yum!!!

OR

Tea Tree & Aloe Anti-Breakage Scalp Therapy by Isoplus

To answer your question regarding MTG: Yes, it absolutely works to speed up growth and I can atest to that firsthand. If you are trying to achieve waist-length by 2007 I would incorporate it into your regimen.... but that is just my opinion. I dont normally put oils on my scalp, but i do use the MTG several days a week, and my hair has flourished. Its gotten thicker and grows faster than it ever has. Sure, it has its downside (smells bad, very oil), but imo the pros outweigh the cons.

Of course, there will be differing opinions on the board about any given product, so you obviously have to make your own decision in the end. But just know that in order to see results w/MTG you have to use it consistently, for a few months. Nothing happens overnight, so if you attempt to use it for a couple of weeks and then cease use, you probably wont notice any remarkable change in your growth rate. I find that it works best when applied to your hair several days a week, and then left in there without being washed out right away. I wash once a week, and MTG 4x a week. I stopped for a little bit as i prepare for braids, but plan on resuming shortly.

For me I would say that not overly abusing my hair and regular trims is the answer. I still use heat and I don't stretch relaxers. Frequent washing works for me too. I've noticed when I wash 3x a week instead of once a week that my hair stays healthier and more moisturized.

KiniKakes said:
I apply a water-based moisturizer to the length and ends of my hair, then seal in the moisturizer with carrier/essential oils. Both steps are imperative. I learned this from our resident hair consultant, Sista: Using oil alone on the roots or length of the hair is nourishing, but not moisturizing. The oil alone will suffocate/block out moisture and leave your hair drier. So the water-based moisturizer should be applied first, then sealed in with oils.

WATER BASED-MOISTURIZERS that I use:

Organic Root Stimulator (ORS) Olive Oil

OR

Cantu Shea Butter: Break Cure & Strengthening Treatment

CARRIER OILS that I seal ends (only) with:

Wild Growth Hair Oil

OR

KeraCare Essential Oils (Sunflower Seed Oil, Peanut Oil, Castor Oil,
Coconut Oil, Jojoba Oil, Sesame Oil, Aloe Vera Oil, Almond Oil, Olive Oil) <--- This smell sooo yum yum!!!

OR

Tea Tree & Aloe Anti-Breakage Scalp Therapy by Isoplus

To answer your question regarding MTG: Yes, it absolutely works to speed up growth and I can atest to that firsthand. If you are trying to achieve waist-length by 2007 I would incorporate it into your regimen.... but that is just my opinion. I dont normally put oils on my scalp, but i do use the MTG several days a week, and my hair has flourished. Its gotten thicker and grows faster than it ever has. Sure, it has its downside (smells bad, very oil), but imo the pros outweigh the cons.

Of course, there will be differing opinions on the board about any given product, so you obviously have to make your own decision in the end. But just know that in order to see results w/MTG you have to use it consistently, for a few months. Nothing happens overnight, so if you attempt to use it for a couple of weeks and then cease use, you probably wont notice any remarkable change in your growth rate. I find that it works best when applied to your hair several days a week, and then left in there without being washed out right away. I wash once a week, and MTG 4x a week. I stopped for a little bit as i prepare for braids, but plan on resuming shortly.
thanks girlfreind - you are a wealth of info. Does the MTG smell THAT bad? is there any way to mask the smell? you got me really wanting to order it today! lol...Obviously I want the results, but not the funk of it...i also work out everyday - TWICE a day, so i have to rinse my hair daily...i am naturally curly - no relaxers...your hair is gorgeous by the way..is your goal waistlength too? where do you get:Organic Root Stimulator (ORS) Olive Oil /
Cantu Shea Butter: Break Cure & Strengthening Treatment?

amorette said:
thanks girlfreind - you are a wealth of info. Does the MTG smell THAT bad? is there any way to mask the smell? you got me really wanting to order it today! lol...Obviously I want the results, but not the funk of it...i also work out everyday - TWICE a day, so i have to rinse my hair daily...i am naturally curly - no relaxers...your hair is gorgeous by the way..is your goal waistlength too? where do you get:Organic Root Stimulator (ORS) Olive Oil /
Cantu Shea Butter: Break Cure & Strengthening Treatment?

THANKS GIRL. Everything i know.... i've learned from the boards. :)

To answer your questions:

In my opinion, the MTG does not smell that bad. Ive gotten used to it.... it smells like a combo of mechanics grease and burnt bacon. It does stain pillow cases and things, so you'll want to sleep with a plastic cap over your scarf, as well as cover your linens/etc with a towell when you use it. In terms of masking the odor.... there is a laundry list of things that can be done to cover the smell. Once the search engine is working again on the board, i would do a search for MTG. There are tons and tons of threads that discuss MTG and results folks have gotten, challenges and growth pics, ways to cover the smell, removing the oil stains from clothes/linens, etc. Probably any question you have has already been answered. :)

No, my goal is Bra Strap. Thanks for the compliment, but thats not my hair in the siggy pic. Those were 3 tracks that i had sewn in, for length and thickness. I hope to reach BSL by Dec 2006, and after that time my goal will be mid-back by 2007.

KiniKakes said:
THANKS GIRL. Everything i know.... i've learned from the boards. :)

To answer your questions:

In my opinion, the MTG does not smell that bad. Ive gotten used to it.... it smells like a combo of mechanics grease and burnt bacon. It does stain pillow cases and things, so you'll want to sleep with a plastic cap over your scarf, as well as cover your linens/etc with a towell when you use it. In terms of masking the odor.... there is a laundry list of things that can be done to cover the smell. Once the search engine is working again on the board, i would do a search for MTG. There are tons and tons of threads that discuss MTG and results folks have gotten, challenges and growth pics, ways to cover the smell, removing the oil stains from clothes/linens, etc. Probably any question you have has already been answered. :)

No, my goal is Bra Strap. Thanks for the compliment, but thats not my hair in the siggy pic. Those were 3 tracks that i had sewn in, for length and thickness. I hope to reach BSL by Dec 2006, and after that time my goal will be mid-back by 2007.
go mamma...you'll get there...thanks for the info :)

Back