What method did you use to BC? scissors, clippers, going to the shop, etc.

ajoyfuljoy

Hey. I'm planning on cutting off my relaxed ends later this year. I'm wondering, how exactly did you chop off the relaxed ends? I'm trying to figure out the best method.

Did you do it yourself or go to the shop. Cut while wet, dry, in twist, have a friend do it? Were you pleased with the results and would you recommend it to someone else?

Last time I took out my sew in to care directly for my hair, I could barely tell the difference b/t my relaxed and natural hair. I mean I saw it but I couldn't see myself cutting it and making it look nice. That's why I just am wondering how people have cut their own hair.

Forgive me if this thread exist already. I don't come over to the hair side that often anymore.

Last edited:
My friend did it for me at her house. She used scissors I bought from Sally's. She used a spray bottle filled with water and Darcy's Botanicals Pumpkin Seed Conditioner. She did a fantastic job. No regrets. Very happy with the end result. We even decided to cut the back of my hair shorter because it was way longer than the rest and I would have looked like I had a mullet :rofl:.

A couple of days ago, I went in and let the stylist take off the last bit of permed hair. I like to wear my hair curly and straight. I didn't want to jack it up and then have to go back and correct it later on.

Conditioner
Water spritz
Duckbill clips
New pair of scissors

I applied conditioner and a water spritz and grabbed section by section and cut with a brand new pair of scissors. I left just a tad bit of relaxed ends so I wouldn't cut any natural hair. Afterwards, I rocked a twistout.

I did it myself and used a regular pair of scissors. IIRC, I put conditioner on it or wet it so I could see the difference between the two textures.

I used scissors and clippers. I initially used conditioner and cut at the line of demarcation. Then co-washed and cleaned up the rest with scissors and clippers.

I used scissors and did it in my bathroom :) used conditioner to see the line of Demarcation. Don't overcut, err on the side of caution!

Sent from my Zio using Long Hair Care Forum App

Slathered my hair in V05 and used my shears to cut at the demarcation line. Took about 20-25 minutes.
I was downright elated/slightly euphoric for at least a month.
I'd recommend doing a self-BC to anyone, granted you have enough NG to be able to pull it up and snip the hair in the back. I was almost 12 months post when I did it, so it was easy peasy.

First time I got my mother to do it with hair scissors.
I went back over it myself to get rid of stray pieces...

I cut it myself on wet hair using scissors. Overall I did a good job, except I cut too much at the very front of my hair making it a little uneven, but not noticably so. I have yet to wear my hair straight, and probably won't anytime soon so I'm not too concerned about how even it is.

I did it my self with some shears and It was an uneven mess but I was so happy about it I didn't care. Probably should of brought in a pro but I'm never stepping foot back into a salon so at the time that wasn't even a thought.

I used condioner and a pair of sheers I purchased at Walmart. I agree that it helps if you have a bit of extra new growth so that you can see the back. I was 13 mths post when I BC'd.

I transitioned for two years so my line of demarcation was highly visible - I washed, detangled and applied SSI banana brulee DC and snipped away using a new pair of scissors...then I steamed and wore my first wash and go!

Back