What is wrong with cones??

Pumpkin

I must have really missed this but what is wrong with cones in conditioners? Are they really that bad? I noticed that Mizani Moisturefuse has cones in it and many ladies still use it. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Absolutely nothing if you ask me. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I myself (as well as Brownrelaxed) look for products with cones in them. They work well with my hair, which is 3b/3c.

Everyone's hair is different and what doesn't work for someone else may just as well work for you.

Hi Pumpkin,

some girls don't like it but i do. The ones that don't mainly say because it builds up in the hair but I've never had this problem. Plus I use a clarifying shampoo once a month anyway to remove build up from ANY product I use, cones or not.

I like cones though for that slip factor, Hmmmmmm sssliiiiiip /images/graemlins/cool.gif (said in Homer-like drone).

I don't have a problem with cones, either. I think the problems occur when people use styling products with cones and moisturizing "slippery" shampoos and conditioners day after day. They probably experience build up if they don't clarify a few times a month. I know if I use Creme of Nature shampoo more than a few times in a row my hair starts to feel yucky and gummy.

I also seek out cones. In fact I 've been doing tis since even when it wasn't so popular. I rememebr when people on the boards (not this one specifically) wouldn't TOUCH cones with a ten foot pole. I have always loved them and I always will. I also calrify as needed - about every two weeks. Another thing I've always done. I got a thing about really clean hair. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

They suppposedly create a negative build up on the hair but that has never happened to me. They have done that for some women tho and for them that is quite real. If you find they build up on you use a clarifier. If they still build up, then nix them. Otherwise - enhoy the shine and that slip!

i never clarify my hair. i don't even own a clarifying shampoo, but i still haven't had any problems. i just think cones have gotten a bad rap, or they don't agree with particular types of hair...

adrienne

I also love cones, which is why I'm so hooked on Motions shampoo and conditioner. I agree with Adrienne; luckily, I have never had a problem with any build up, and I've never used or even bought a clarifying shampoo. What works for one person won't work for everyone. After using lots of other shampoos, for me the shine and slip that I get from Motions products are unparalled by anything else I have ever used.

Cones aren't a problem with me either. It's just a case of shampooing really well if I get some really bad buildup, but that's harldy ever seeing as I wash 2-3 days a week. I do find that I can't do the no sulfate thing too many times in a row. It just doesn't get rid of the product build up on my hair enough.

Girl, I find NOTHING wrong with cones! Most of the stuff I use has them in it. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I was about to ask the same questions, what are they and I have never heard about the before. /images/graemlins/fan.gif

SILICONES! come in a variety depending on chemical structure. i think the most popular is cyclomethicone . 'cones are the main ingredient in hair polish and smaller amounts occur in some shampoos and conditioners. HTH

Basically look at those long winded names on your products anything with cone at the end is a silicone based product. My nature's shine has a cone in it and it begins with a D, I can't remember the name of it though.

All in all I'd be interested to find out about this different number of cones out there used in hair products.

I read that cones ending with the word Copolyol (such as Dimethicone Copolyol) or ending in -ol (such as Dimethiconol)are water soluble. Here are other names of cones that I know about:
cyclomethicone
amodimethicone
trimethicone
names ending in -siloxane

I'm having a hard time finding conclusive information on the net about cones.

Back