What is the best way to improve the moisture level in your hair?

Best method to improve moisture level in hair is......

• Deep Conditioning

Votes: 312 61.1%
  • Co-washing

Votes: 85 16.6%
  • Baggying

Votes: 68 13.3%
  • other (be specific)

Votes: 46 9.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

IMFOCSD

I am dealing with dry hair and I have no idea how to correct this issue. It seems like every time after I wash/cowash my hair I apply my leave ins and moisturizers and seal with oil and let it airdry and afterwards my hair is so dry and dull. I will admit that I have used heat about 4 times between last month and this month. What could I be doing wrong? What do you think is the best method to improve moisture levels in hair?

Thanks ladies
sweetcoco

Last edited:
Baggying daily and deep conditioning (1-2 times per week) have drasticaly helped improve my moisture levels.
What products do you use and how often do you deep condition?

I chose baggying because until I started religously baggying, my hair was not as moisturize as I like, but the key is you must me consistant and find out what works for you its trial and error, but you really need all of the above you need deep condition treatments, you need to moisture and so on and so forth and you also need to clarify to help remove extra buildup so etc hth

Baggying my entire head works for me. When I was doing frequently co-washes that helped also. Drinking lots of water and taking flaxseed oil helps as well.

amr501 said:
Baggying daily and deep conditioning (1-2 times per week) have drasticaly helped improve my moisture levels.
What products do you use and how often do you deep condition?
Hi amr501 For my leave ins I use rusk smoother, lacio lacio and sometimes I use NTM leave in. I use BB oil moisturizer with castor oil and aloe or scurl daily sealed with africas best herbal oil daily. I do not deep condition my hair often (don't know why) but when I do maybe a couple times per month I use miss key 10 en 1. I use vo5, suave and dove conditioners for cowashes and I use vo5 and dove shampoos I sometimes use silicon mix shampoo.

guesswho said:
I chose baggying because until I started religously baggying, my hair was not as moisturize as I like, but the key is you must me consistant and find out what works for you its trial and error, but you really need all of the above you need deep condition treatments, you need to moisture and so on and so forth and you also need to clarify to help remove extra buildup so etc hth

thanks guesswho

I was baggying my whole head every night using scurl but after a while my hair started shedding like crazy so I stopped all over baggying and now I baggy my ends over night using BB oil moisturizer and that helps but after I remove the baggy the following day in a couple hours my hair is back dry & dull again. I cowash about every 1-3 days. I guess I need to DC more often. How does DC help the hair? It has been about 3-4 weeks since I last clarified.

brickhouse said:
Baggying my entire head works for me. When I was doing frequently co-washes that helped also. Drinking lots of water and taking flaxseed oil helps as well.

Thanks for the tip, I don't drink much water and I have not tried taking flaxseed oil, maybe I'll look into that. I do everything else you stated, maybe I need better products. :perplexed

You deep to get a real deep conditioning conditioner the one that says sit client under dryer with cap for 15 or minutes etc, that's what you need, try to search the post that said not all conditioners are deep conditioners, ors mayo, ors replenishing pak, mizani hydrafuse and moisturfuse, there's also alter ego garlic treament for shedding those are just examples there's a lot more, when you baggy try using a miosturizer like shea butter and seal with carrot oil or castor oil, if you find shedding change the products

guesswho said:
You deep to get a real deep conditioning conditioner the one that says sit client under dryer with cap for 15 or minutes etc, that's what you need, try to search the post that said not all conditioners are deep conditioners, ors mayo, ors replenishing pak, mizani hydrafuse and moisturfuse, there's also alter ego garlic treament for shedding those are just examples there's a lot more, when you baggy try using a miosturizer like shea butter and seal with carrot oil or castor oil, if you find shedding change the products

O wow, I must have overlooked the thread about all conditioners not being deep conditioners. I thought miss key 10 en 1 was a deep conditioner...oh well. I just bought 2 packs of ors olive oil replenishing pack (is this mainly for moisture, protien or both?) I just did a protien treatment in my hair yesterday but if the ORS RP is for moisture then I will try it tommorrow. I will def look into getting the products you recommended. Thanks ;)

sweetcoco

sweetcoco said:
O wow, I must have overlooked the thread about all conditioners not being deep conditioners. I thought miss key 10 en 1 was a deep conditioner...oh well. I just bought 2 packs of ors olive oil replenishing pack (is this mainly for moisture, protien or both?) I just did a protien treatment in my hair yesterday but if the ORS RP is for moisture then I will try it tommorrow. I will def look into getting the products you recommended. Thanks ;)

sweetcoco

Here's the thread about deep conditioners (not all conditioners deep condition):
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=108700&highlight=conditioners+deep+condition

Miss Keys is a deep conditioner, it may just not really be working well for your hair. There are several conditioners you can try, but be patient and really try to find what works best for your hair. I think it would help to clarify before trying any new product, so you can better judge how the product makes your hair feel.

Also, maybe you could try a leave-in that doesn't contain cones. Those could be making your hair feel dull and dry if you have buildup. Giovanni Direct Leave-In is a great, cone-free one. You can get it at Vitamin Shoppe or Whole Foods.

preciousjewel76 said:
Here's the thread about deep conditioners (not all conditioners deep condition):
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=108700&highlight=conditioners+deep+condition

Miss Keys is a deep conditioner, it may just not really be working well for your hair. There are several conditioners you can try, but be patient and really try to find what works best for your hair. I think it would help to clarify before trying any new product, so you can better judge how the product makes your hair feel.

Also, maybe you could try a leave-in that doesn't contain cones. Those could be making your hair feel dull and dry if you have buildup. Giovanni Direct Leave-In is a great, cone-free one. You can get it at Vitamin Shoppe or Whole Foods.

Thank you preciousjewel76

This is some great advice you and the other ladies are giving me. I need to give everything mentioned a try and see how it goes.

I selected other because there was not an option to chooose more than one. I think that it is a combination of all of the choices because they co-affect each other and improves the benefits collectively.

StellaB said:
I selected other because there was not an option to chooose more than one. I think that it is a combination of all of the choices because they co-affect each other and improves the benefits collectively.

Thanks StellaB

Now that I think about you are right. The only thing I don't really do is DC. I am on the hunt for a good moisturizing DC. I am going to try some products that have been recommended to me and see which is best for my hair. I think I am going to stop being so cheap and change all of my products.

Id suggest u clarify more often. All your cowashing,baggying and dc-ing is in vain if your strands can not absorb all that cuz they're coated with old products.

EishBuhgeish said:
Id suggest u clarify more often. All your cowashing,baggying and dc-ing is in vain if your strands can not absorb all that cuz they're coated with old products.
This is what I was going to suggest too. Left over residue from products can cause drying, If I don't clarify at least monthly my products will stop working.

EishBuhgeish said:
This is what I was going to suggest too. Left over residue from products can cause drying, If I don't clarify at least monthly my products will stop working.

EishBuhgeish said:

EishBuhgeish said:

Hi EishBuhgeish

You have made a good point, thanks.

I agree with taking flaxseed oil and drinking more water, but you also need to start DC more often, lets say 2x's a wk. Also, you may want to get another DC that's very moisturizing in your rotation. Praital Silk Worm Humectante is excellent for moisture, and add some porosity control as a final comb through then rinse. I've never used Silicone mix shampoo so I don't know how moisturizing it is but you may need to switch that up too.

BeautifulWideEyes said:
I agree with taking flaxseed oil and drinking more water, but you also need to start DC more often, lets say 2x's a wk. Also, you may want to get another DC that's very moisturizing in your rotation. Praital Silk Worm Humectante is excellent for moisture, and add some porosity control as a final comb through then rinse. I've never used Silicone mix shampoo so I don't know how moisturizing it is but you may need to switch that up too.

Thanks BeautifulWideEyes

Where would I get the flaxseed oil? I really need start drinking more water and maybe take a hair vitamin. So I should DC twice weekly with a moisturizing deep conditioner, I can do that. I can order the PSWH from round brush hair. I already have the porosity control and I like it but I do not know how often I can use it. The silicon mix shampoo is so so...I could use something a little better though.

sweetcoco said:
Thanks BeautifulWideEyes

Where would I get the flaxseed oil? I really need start drinking more water and maybe take a hair vitamin. So I should DC twice weekly with a moisturizing deep conditioner, I can do that. I can order the PSWH from round brush hair. I already have the porosity control and I like it but I do not know how often I can use it. The silicon mix shampoo is so so...I could use something a little better though.

I take flaxseed oil gelcaps that I got from CVS. I take 2 per day. They have really helped with my dry skin, so I think they are also effective for combating dry hair as well.

You may want to try a sulfate-free shampoo. Those shampoos can be very drying to the hair. Creme of Nature (CON) shampoo (with the red label) is really good, and doesn't leave buildup like the CON green label can.

preciousjewel76 said:
I take flaxseed oil gelcaps that I got from CVS. I take 2 per day. They have really helped with my dry skin, so I think they are also effective for combating dry hair as well.

You may want to try a sulfate-free shampoo. Those shampoos can be very drying to the hair. Creme of Nature (CON) shampoo (with the red label) is really good, and doesn't leave buildup like the CON green label can.

preciousjewel76,

Are the gelcaps easy to swallow? I dislike swallowing pills but I will do it if I have to. The hair vitamins I am going to get are easy to swallow so I am cool in that department. I have been thinking for a long time about using shampoos w/o sulfates but I have yet to find one. I am going to do some research on the products that have been recommended and see which one I will try first since there are quite a few (Thanks Ladies ;)). I will make sure I clarify first.

You can get flaxseed oil from Walmart, I was using and still do on occation the SpringValley brand.

Once you clarify and start DC 2x's a wk your hair should start to hold on to that moisture, and the porosity control will help with that. Not sure how often, I don't think it would hurt to use it w/every poo and DC but atleast once a wk. until you can tell it's working, then you should be able to just use it in rotation.
sweetcoco said:
Thanks BeautifulWideEyes

Last edited:
BeautifulWideEyes said:
You can get flaxseed oil from Walmart, I was using and still do on occation the SpringValley brand.

Once you clarify and start DC 2x's a wk your hair should start to hold on to that moisture, and the porosity control will help with that. Not sure how often, I don't think it would hurt to use it w/every poo and DC but atleast once a wk. until you can tell it's working, then you should be able to just use it in rotation.

Cool.....thanks, BeautifulWideEyes

You're using a lot of products with cones in them. I've had the EXACT same problems you have with those same products, namely NTM and Rusk.

I had to cut cones out of my regimen...my hair simply does not like them and protests by being super dry and not receiving moisturizers.

I agree with the poster who suggested clarifying. I would clarify and use a moisturizing poo, then DC w/ a little oil added in (w/ the con that matches the poo) and follow with one cone-free leave in. Doing this will help you determine whether cones are your issue. The difference for me was night and day. My hair stays soft and moisturized for 5+ days in between washes whether I moisturize or not. The cones were locking moisture out of my hair and may be doing the same to yours.

HTH
{DI}

Divine Inspiration said:
You're using a lot of products with cones in them. I've had the EXACT same problems you have with those same products, namely NTM and Rusk.

I had to cut cones out of my regimen...my hair simply does not like them and protests by being super dry and not receiving moisturizers.

I agree with the poster who suggested clarifying. I would clarify and use a moisturizing poo, then DC w/ a little oil added in (w/ the con that matches the poo) and follow with one cone-free leave in. Doing this will help you determine whether cones are your issue. The difference for me was night and day. My hair stays soft and moisturized for 5+ days in between washes whether I moisturize or not. The cones were locking moisture out of my hair and may be doing the same to yours.

HTH
{DI}

Hi Divine Inspiration, you are 2 cute.:)

Anyway, I never really paid attention to the cones listed in the ingredients. I forgot to mention that I also use keracae silken seal to aid in airdrying :eek: and that product has a nice amount of cones......yeah, def need to clarify like real soon.

Ditto to all the advice you've received here :yep:

Personally, I DC'd 2x/week for like a month before my moisture level was corrected. I was doing it for 20 min. a pop at first, but then I increased it to 45 min for the last 2 weeks and that really pushed it over the top. Now I'd really have to manipulate and work my hair hard to get it to feel dry. I read somewhere awhile back (I think maybe in Shamboosie's book) that a conditioner's moisturizing properties last in the hair approx. 4-5 days, so you want to build up a sort of foundation for your hair to work w/by DC-ing every 3-4 days. It's worked for me :). Now all I do now is make sure to incorporate protein in my regimen at least weekly (either via a leave-in or a cream) to not only facilitate moisture retention but also to maintain some strength and structure to my fine strands.

Oh, also, a DC I'd recommend is PM Supercharged. It's great! I mix it w/Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol Plus (mineral-oil free) for my DCs and it's never let me down.

HTH

I'd say drink more water
AND try to add two tablespoons
of olive oil/day to your food.
This worked wonders for
me... my skin and hair were
amazing and the results were
almost instant... I noticed
a difference overnight.

Dry Skin/Scalp could be
a sign of a sulphur deficiency...
have you thought aout taking MSM?
This is not as instant as my first suggestion
but... whatever ;)

Lastly... I do the co-washing, baggy method,
deep condtioning... weekly... I also do not
use Shampoo... only to clarify... I co wash
almost everyday so I clarify once a week.

That's my 2 cent :look:

I'm dealing with dry edges; but "meaganita" turned me onto the baggy method and now in just 2 weeks my edges are looking and feeling so much better.

SouthernTease said:
I'd say drink more water
AND try to add two tablespoons
of olive oil/day to your food.
This worked wonders for
me... my skin and hair were
amazing and the results were
almost instant... I noticed
a difference overnight.

Dry Skin/Scalp could be
a sign of a sulphur deficiency...
have you thought aout taking MSM?
This is not as instant as my first suggestion
but... whatever ;)

Lastly... I do the co-washing, baggy method,
deep condtioning... weekly... I also do not
use Shampoo... only to clarify... I co wash
almost everyday so I clarify once a week.

That's my 2 cent :look:

how did the olive oil work for your skin and hair?

to the OP, if you take flaxseed oil I think its better if you take the actual oil versus the capsules.

Back