What Is Best For My Hair?

Leona28

Ladies, I need your help. (Pictures below)
A year ago, I cut my hair in order to have my hair start afresh. There was the left bottom side of my hair which never grew and broke very easily. I decided to cut my hair. Met an avantgarde hairdresser who cut it too short. I was not happy and in shock for months. My hair then became like the first picture below. image.jpg
I missed my relaxed locks and had a history of hair growth which reached midpoint of my scapulas.
So I went to a hairsalon near me and they hadn't a clue how to relax my hair (they were brazilian) and thankfully I got all my money back. They texlaxed some and fully relaxed other parts. It was disastrous. image.jpg
I then went to a highly regarded hair salon to get weave. They doubled their rates for me (grr!) which led me to get a mobile hairdresser for support. I have been using weaves since March this year which is fun but my scalp gets itchy after a few days, I am restricted from washing my hair regularly and it's a good $120 per month.
I've considered getting a wig however this, I'm discovering is starting at $150 and then lengths costs are to be emailed to me shortly.

My question to you is, should I cut my hair short again, relax it and then get a wig? Or cut, relax and rollerset regularly? My face is round therefore I'm not sure how it will look. I will also need to find products to keep my hair moist unless I go to the salon weekly. I'll be needing alot of practice to have my hair looking good like salon beautiful. I've a week before returning to work to get to that point.

My goal is to have long hair which is healthy but also manageable. I can afford to use high quality products. I have a hooded dryer at home. I found it very difficult to care for my hair with a blow dryer and I recognize that using rollers is the best option for hair drying.

I tend to tie my hair back by the time it's about neck-shoulder length. I want to do something different with my hair.

I appreciate all advice. Thank you.

Last edited:
Here is my opinion based on the options you shared.

If you wear the wig, I don't think you should cut short again. If you decide to wear wigs, I think a good trim or slight cut to give your real hair a nice shape would work fine.

Personally though, I think your roller setting option is better. You'll learn how to style your own hair better, which is important if your ultimate goal is to wear your own, real, grown out hair.

Is it possible to learn how to do your own relaxers so you don't have another experience like you did with the Brazilian people?

Here is my opinion based on the options you shared.

If you wear the wig, I don't think you should cut short again. If you decide to wear wigs, I think a good trim or slight cut to give your real hair a nice shape would work fine.

Personally though, I think your roller setting option is better. You'll learn how to style your own hair better, which is important if your ultimate goal is to wear your own, real, grown out hair.

Is it possible to learn how to do your own relaxers so you don't have another experience like you did with the Brazilian people?

Thank you for your reply. I want to ultimately have my hair out to breath and care for it. I reckon that this will take time and practice. In the meantime, roller setting, bunning with a faux chignon are the options which come to mind. Re relaxing on my own, is it safe when a novice?

Thank you for your reply. I want to ultimately have my hair out to breath and care for it. I reckon that this will take time and practice. In the meantime, roller setting, bunning with a faux chignon are the options which come to mind. Re relaxing on my own, is it safe when a novice?
I'm natural so I don't know. But I did notice a ton of self relax threads surface in the last few days.

Someone in the random thoughts thread just shared that wearing wigs to the gym and pool doesn't work lol. That's another reason to opt for your real hair.

I love my real hair and a wig was for the bad hair days.

I opted for weave as I was desperate as you can see above. No one would touch it as it could have damaged further.

In the last hour, I made contact with a confident hairdresser who had heard it all. He has advised me to do a couple of things before I go in tomorrow. He will relax and cut and my hair will be free again.

I want to get the current weave made into a wig but my mobile hair dresser seems to be reluctant. Her prices are high and she wants me to keep wearing my weave until the wig is sown up (Update: Over $200 to make:) - no thanks:)...I'm going to decline. )

Last edited:
I love my real hair and a wig was for the bad hair days.

I opted for weave as I was desperate as you can see above. No one would touch it as it could have damaged further.

In the last hour, I made contact with a confident hairdresser who had heard it all. He has advised me to do a couple of things before I go in tomorrow. He will relax and cut and my hair will be free again.

I want to get the current weave made into a wig but my mobile hair dresser seems to be reluctant. Her prices are high and she wants me to keep wearing my weave until the wig is sown up (Update: Over $200 to make:) - no thanks:)...I'm going to decline. )
You could purchase a wig there are tons of reviews on youtube. RPG show is very popular.

@Leona28 I wouldn't cut your hair right now. Your hair looks texlaxed from the picture. I know you said some parts are bone straight, but I wouldn't cut it unless you start to see uneven hair/thinning due to breakage. If you can maintain the length without breakage, I'd work with what you have. Especially, if you're going to continue to wear weaves or wigs -- these styles will give you maximum retention if you avoid heat on your hair. But if your intent is to be natural then I understand why you might want to cut it.

Wearing wigs and weaves will probably get you to grow your hair the fastest while giving you time to learn how to do your hair yourself. While wearing the weaves and wigs you can experiment with roller sets between the installs. And when you hair gets longer then you can start wearing your hair in the roller sets. That would be my advice to you. Best of luck to you on whatever you decide to do.

image.jpg Hi guys
My intent is to have the most manageable long, thick and strong hair. This seems to be relaxed hair as I don't think salons texlax. The above, is my hair as of today. I removed the weave. The ends look thin. Why is that?
I like the sleak look therefore relaxed is it. I've tried natural relaxants but my 4b/c hair gets frizzy quickly.

@Leona28 I wouldn't cut your hair right now. Your hair looks texlaxed from the picture. I know you said some parts are bone straight, but I wouldn't cut it unless you start to see uneven hair/thinning due to breakage. If you can maintain the length without breakage, I'd work with what you have. Especially, if you're going to continue to wear weaves or wigs -- these styles will give you maximum retention if you avoid heat on your hair. But if your intent is to be natural then I understand why you might want to cut it.

Wearing wigs and weaves will probably get you to grow your hair the fastest while giving you time to learn how to do your hair yourself. While wearing the weaves and wigs you can experiment with roller sets between the installs. And when you hair gets longer then you can start wearing your hair in the roller sets. That would be my advice to you. Best of luck to you on whatever you decide to do.
In relation to natural, I meant, being exposed to the elements while protecting styling however not confined to being under a hat/scarf all day. Thank you

View attachment 334471 Hi guys
My intent is to have the most manageable long, thick and strong hair. This seems to be relaxed hair as I don't think salons texlax. The above, is my hair as of today. I removed the weave. The ends look thin. Why is that?
I like the sleak look therefore relaxed is it. I've tried natural relaxants but my 4b/c hair gets frizzy quickly.
It looks good and healthy!

I'd advise you to learn to relax your own hair or find a reputable stylist to do your relaxer.
Then, I'd advise you to find a new weaver. Why are you paying $120 per month for weave? A weave should last 10 - 12 weeks.
Are you using human hair? Sometimes synthetic hair itches because of the coating applied. I'd imagine human hair may also have a coating.
You can rinse the hair in Apple Cider Vinegar to remove the coating.

For your down times in between weaves (2-4 weeks), you can wear a bun. Wearing weaves back to back can cause your hair to thin. You need to give your hair a break and do protein treatments as well as deep condition in between weaves. Here is a video of a bun I create with extension hair:

QUOTE="krissyhair, post: 21669147, member: 401875"]It looks good and healthy![/QUOTE

image.jpg

Here is my hair after the relaxer yesterday! Looked and felt great however dryness and the atmosphere set in. I used Mizani H20 intense last night but wish I used more. This morning, put a small amount of Knots Curly Leave in and kerastase elixir. Feels moist however, I've been thinking of getting a wig which I can throw on on days when headscarfs and leaving my hair out isn't happening. I love washing my hair and co-washing however I know that heat can't touch my hair. I have protein leave ins for stronger hair growth. My hair growth so far is 6 inches in 9 months. Is this a short or long time? I have not been taking any vitamins or oils but have been educating myself on what to do. Most importantly is protecting my ends. What I've learned from the past is - less heat - leave that to the professionals or only every 2 weeks with a flat iron or better still rollers. I'm excited!

I'd advise you to learn to relax your own hair or find a reputable stylist to do your relaxer.
Then, I'd advise you to find a new weaver. Why are you paying $120 per month for weave? A weave should last 10 - 12 weeks.
Are you using human hair? Sometimes synthetic hair itches because of the coating applied. I'd imagine human hair may also have a coating.
You can rinse the hair in Apple Cider Vinegar to remove the coating.

For your down times in between weaves (2-4 weeks), you can wear a bun. Wearing weaves back to back can cause your hair to thin. You need to give your hair a break and do protein treatments as well as deep condition in between weaves. Here is a video of a bun I create with extension hair:

In regards to the weaver...I'm a novice when it comes to weaves and she came into my life after my hair crisis in March. I asked her to come monthly as my hair growth was ferrocious under my closure. She would rebraid and do the whole head. It was Brazilian hair which was used. Personally, I don't like weaves and probably a wig is better to keep my hair covered during bad hair days.

Didn't have to cut my hair. New Stylist trimmed some of my ends and my hair set itself as in last picture. I'm excited however looking for locations to buy a wig which is cheap but looks real and shoulder length.

Back