What is a softener

dausmer

My niece who could give a rat's arse about caring for her own hair because her weekly ritual is going to the salon for wash and fried with curling irons religiously, her hair is about 1-2 inches long.

Her daughter who is biracial has very nice hair with very good curls but it is a bit frizzy. Her mom has constantly kept it in ponytails pulled so tight that it gives me a headache to look at it. The childs hair is now all broken off around the edges so she looks like she has a halo around her head. Her hair is really curly and soft and the hairdresser has suggested putting a softener in it. I told her she needs to find out what this consists of because if chemicals are involved it would be a disaster for that child.

I suggested that she start co-washing and DC'ing but she doesn't want to hear it. She is looking for an easy way out. She wants her daughters hair to be worn down in natural curls but I told her unless its conditioned and moisturized it will always be frizzy.

Any suggestions.

I've had a softener treatment at a Redken salon, but since realized I can do that at home for waaaay cheaper. All I had to do was buy their products :rolleyes:. There were no chemicals involved in this treatment.

The All Soft Heavy Cream mixed with a little Smooth Down Butter Treat (or used seperatley) will soften that hair right up. Sit under the dryer like a DC and voila!! Don't let them apply anything chemical based to that childs hair :nono:

I've had a softener treatment at a Redken salon, but since realized I can do that at home for waaaay cheaper. All I had to do was buy their products :rolleyes:. There were no chemicals involved in this treatment.

The All Soft Heavy Cream mixed with a little Smooth Down Butter Treat (or used seperatley) will soften that hair right up. Sit under the dryer like a DC and voila!! Don't let them apply anything chemical based to that childs hair :nono:

Tell me more! Is there a way we can make our own at home using natural products??

My niece who could give a rat's arse about caring for her own hair because her weekly ritual is going to the salon for wash and fried with curling irons religiously, her hair is about 1-2 inches long.

Her daughter who is biracial has very nice hair with very good curls but it is a bit frizzy. Her mom has constantly kept it in ponytails pulled so tight that it gives me a headache to look at it. The childs hair is now all broken off around the edges so she looks like she has a halo around her head. Her hair is really curly and soft and the hairdresser has suggested putting a softener in it. I told her she needs to find out what this consists of because if chemicals are involved it would be a disaster for that child.

I suggested that she start co-washing and DC'ing but she doesn't want to hear it. She is looking for an easy way out. She wants her daughters hair to be worn down in natural curls but I told her unless its conditioned and moisturized it will always be frizzy.

Any suggestions.

She was probably talking about a texture softener which is nothing but a mild perm/texturizer. You can get the same results by just conditioning/moisturizing her hair well. Skip the chemicals.

Back