What is a good way to stop breakage?

levette

Hello everyone,

I have always had problems with hair breakage. I am currently wearing it down in a wrap/flat-iron style because I just got it done. But, I see short broken off hairs everytime I comb my hair. What are some good products to stop this breakage. Currently, I am 3 weeks post relaxer. I also have bronze haircolor highlights on my hair.

My current regime:

I shampoo with Revlon creme of nature or pantente pro v dandruff shampoo for black women.
I condition with Lustrasilk's Aloe Vera Cholesterol treatment weekly. Next, I detangle with Infusium leave in conditoner for damaged area. I try to air dry or sit under a hooded dryer for colder months.

I avoid pricier hair products because I am cheap.

Protien is good for breakage and shedding.

Mild Protien - Aubrey GPB(Glycogen Protein Balancing)

Medium Protein - Affirm

Heavy Protien- Aphogee (they also have mild one too)

Follow up with one of your conditioners. :grin:

levette said:
Hello everyone,

I have always had problems with hair breakage. I am currently wearing it down in a wrap/flat-iron style because I just got it done. But, I see short broken off hairs everytime I comb my hair. What are some good products to stop this breakage. Currently, I am 3 weeks post relaxer. I also have bronze haircolor highlights on my hair.

My current regime:

I shampoo with Revlon creme of nature or pantente pro v dandruff shampoo for black women.
I condition with Lustrasilk's Aloe Vera Cholesterol treatment weekly. Next, I detangle with Infusium leave in conditoner for damaged area. I try to air dry or sit under a hooded dryer for colder months.

Sounds like a protein treatment is what you need. You may want to add a light protein to your regime (keraphix, Aubrey's GPB). It has helped me with breakage.

Nexxus Emergencee(expensive) & Apoghee (more reasonable) are great for breakage...there are others...i'm sure you will get more resonses.

Good Luck

I also have a problem with breakage, especially around my hairline.

I attribute my breakage to...

• Using the wrong brushes (scratchy nylon instead of boar's hair)
  • Not handling my hair delicately around the demarcation between the relaxed and new growth hair
  • Styling choices that involve heat (blow out using a round brush, pullin' and pullin' my hair!)

I threw away the ruff nylon brush yesterday. And I washed my hair two days ago and styled with no heat--a first for me!!

I also use Elasta QP Breakage Control Serum. Not sure if I see a difference, but no complaints yet.

Looking forward to hearing others' advice...

You know that your Lustrasilk's Aloe Vera Cholesterol is considered a mild protein because of the Aloe Vera and the Cholesterol, but since you are relaxed and colored I definitely think you are in need of a stronger protein like Aphogee or DRC, but be sure to follow it w/ a really good moisturizing conditioner like CON or your favorite cheapie moisturizing conditioner spiked with EVOO and not the cholesterol.

HTH

The Infusium may have too much protein for your hair. I had to stop using it because of that reason. If you really like it, dilute it and only use once a month or so.

levette said:
Hello everyone,

My current regime:

Since your hair is highlighted you may need to use a protein treatment to reduce breakage.

I like you hair fuzzyroots. I used to use ElastaQP Breakage Control Serum. It's a GREAT product to stop breakage. I just didn't buy anymore after using it up. To avoid breakage, avoid overprocessing when relaxing, moisturize and condition your hair, and be very gentle and patient with your hair. HTH! ;)

Make sure you have a satin scarf and always put something on your edges before you tie it up a night. I use Surge for my edges but a night I put DOO GROW for edges on my hair. The scarf and the oil helps with the friction during sleeping. I was a wild sleeper at one point in my life I prayed and ask God to help me with this and the sea is calm when I sleep which has helped me a great deal with my edges:)

fuzzyroots said:
I also have a problem with breakage, especially around my hairline.

I attribute my breakage to...

• Using the wrong brushes (scratchy nylon instead of boar's hair)
  • Not handling my hair delicately around the demarcation between the relaxed and new growth hair
  • Styling choices that involve heat (blow out using a round brush, pullin' and pullin' my hair!)

I threw away the ruff nylon brush yesterday. And I washed my hair two days ago and styled with no heat--a first for me!!

I also use Elasta QP Breakage Control Serum. Not sure if I see a difference, but no complaints yet.

Looking forward to hearing others' advice...

Protein, then moisture. Also: decrease friction and shearing forces on the hair by avoid rubber bands unless covered with no metal pieces, avoid sleeping in a bandana or cotton scarf (silk/satin is better), tie the hair up at night no matter what or sleep on a satin pillowcase, and since its still cold in a lot of places, be careful of turtlenecks/sweaters/coats made of wool or cotton that can cause breakage at the nape. Avoid wearing hats made of wool and cotton that will dry out the hair and cause breakage-if you must wear a hat, put a scarf on under it. Carefully detangling your hair and using a leave-in or setting lotion will help it detangle, and help avoid breakage.

levette said:
Hello everyone,

My current regime:

I think the breakage is caused by dryness.

You can try deep conditioning, braid sprays, curl activators (s-curl, care free curl gold), pre/post shampoo treatments (hot oil).

Try using products that add moisture to your hair.

Oh, and protect it when you use heat with something specifically for heat protection.

My solution to breakage:

1. use satin or silk type pillowcase and/or hair coverings
2. use silicone-based serum on to "seal" cuticles on wet hair after each washings. THIS is what stopped my breakage! I use only on the last couple of inches of my ENDS on wet hair after washing so that my ends dry "sealed." I do not use on dry hair nor on the entire hair shaft (wonder if I could?). I use to be afraid of silicones but have learned I can't use every day on dry hair, but works like a charm on my wet ends and I see NO breakage in between wash. I must add that I "clarify" every 6 weeks or so to remove build-up -- usually at the same time that I do a "protein" treat. I relax every 12 weeks, so I do clarify-protein half way between touchups. I have 4b relaxed.

My (usual) wash routine:
1. prepoo (maybe!)
2. poo or CW
3. condition
4. ACV final rinse (maybe!)
5. creamy leave-in (headdress or salerm 21)
6. castor, jojoba, rosemary, ylang oil blend
7. serum (any silicone-based does the trick -- seal those ends baby!)
8. rollerset

Anyone: do you apply serum to your entire hair? If so, how's it working . . .

I used to apply John Freida's Relax Serum to my entire head...the directions were to apply it all over to soaking wet hair, and I loved it. It made my hair very manageable, and my ends were under control and frayed less. The Relax line is being discontinued, unfortunately, but Nexxus has basically the same thing called Retexxturr. Its kinda hard to find, though. Check out Ebay.

You need moisture, moisture and more moisture. You already have a lot of protein products in your regemin. I think adding more protein will backfire if you hair is already dry. Do some deep conditions with moisturizing conditioners and make sure to moisturize daily!! I think this will help tremendously. Good Luck!

well, I already have the elasta qp anti-breakage serum. I have only used it once though. I bout it about 3 wks ago. Should I keep using that or try something stronger.?

dontspeakdefeat said:
You need moisture, moisture and more moisture. You already have a lot of protein products in your regemin. I think adding more protein will backfire if you hair is already dry. Do some deep conditions with moisturizing conditioners and make sure to moisturize daily!! I think this will help tremendously. Good Luck!

I agree, I thinks she needs more moisturizing products including moisturizing conditioners and a daily moisturizer.

Poohbear: Thanks for the compliment and tips. I'm learning that the more patient I am, the less hair I find on the floor and in my comb.

Star:I keep reading about Surge on this site. I better look into it. Not familiar with DOO GROW. I have a satin bonnet. I've seen a difference in the morning since using it.

I have this thing about moisturizers: they have to smell right, feel right, and do right....I hate wasting money on stuff I don't use. I'm gonna open more jars of product at the store to take a whiff...promise I won't stick my finger in them to catch a feel...but you should check for finger prints anyway!!

I'm thinking about incorporating oils for my dry ends and new growth. The castor, jojoba, rosemary, ylang oil blend that Neroli mentioned sounds interesting.

Neroli said:
Anyone: do you apply serum to your entire hair? If so, how's it working . . .

I apply NTM Serum to my entire hair shaft and it works fine for me. I apply while wet and then apply a little more when dry.

Cowgirl said:
I apply NTM Serum to my entire hair shaft and it works fine for me. I apply while wet and then apply a little more when dry.

Do you "clarify"? If so, how often and what product do you use? BTW, I tried to view your photos but password not working. Please advise. Your hair looks great in your avatar and wanted to see more since we have same hair type 4b and use same relaxer, affirm. TIA

Protein - Too much makes the hair hard and brittle. However, needed for strength.

Moisture - A good moisturising conditioner, an after care moisturiser and steaming the hair.

Reduce exposure to harsh and cold winds.

Last edited:
Back