What do you use to protect your scalp ?

fletgee

My question is as many of the ladies here use lye relaxers-what do you use to protect your scalp during a touch-up? I have been using jojoba oil. Today at the beauty supply I saw the Affirm scalp stuff and got sticker shock! The price was $24.00 /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Today at the beauty supply I saw the Affirm scalp stuff and got sticker shock! The price was $24.00

[/ QUOTE ] /images/graemlins/shocked.gif That's outrageous. Summit makes a product to protect the scalp, so does Cream of Nature. I bought mine for $5.59. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

My hair stylist uses Summit. Hmph. Twenty four bucks is a lot. It must protect the scalp something fierce. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Twenty four bucks is a lot. It must protect the scalp something fierce.

[/ QUOTE ] At that price, one would hope so! /images/graemlins/look.gif

The hair stylist used the Affirm scalp protector on my scalp. She allowed the relaxer to stay on my head for the maximum time required. I had no problems w/ my scalp burning. This was my first lye relaxer. The last time I had a relaxer was 8 months ago. I believe that scalp protector is really good. /images/graemlins/smile.gif The stylist parted my hair in small sections and based my scalp. That cost is pretty expensive. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif I wonder how long you can store it. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

in the days that i used to relax my hair, like londondiva and carmenRose my mum'd use vaseline or any petroleum based products at hand eg blue magic or Bellrose pink

ngaa /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

Just got my texturizer done yesterday. (FINALLY realized they use Affirm. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif) But anyway they base everyone's scalp with straight up mineral oil from like Walgreens or whatever and they don't skimp on it either. They give you at towel to wipe if it starts to drip. Then they put this Affim gel stuff that's supposed to have a conditioner in it on the roots. She explained to me that when the relaxer is applied it cause the cuticles to be opened and the conditioner in the gel is absorbed. THEN they put some more Affirm stuff on the rest of the hair to protect the part that is already processed. DAMN I'm gonna hate it when I move and have to find a decent salon all over again. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

the girl that did my Affirm relaxer used that stuff, fletgee. the bottle was almost empty... no wonder she was beating the pee out of it against the counter to get the last drops out! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

my other stylist uses the Summit stuff too. it works very well. i used to use Vaseline when i did my own at home.

adrienne

i got the scalp thing from affirm and it wasnt that expensive and there wasnt much to the ingredients but i did buy it anyways. i havent used it yet but if memory serves me correct i think one of the ingredients was either mineral oil or petroleum or both and some other ingredients i cant recall. God bless you all.

In high school and college I used plain old vaseline or petroleum jelly, now I use the Summit grease (about $2.99) or still vaseline.

Back