What do you use to keep your scalp moisturized?

lovelymissyoli

What do you ladies use to keep your scalp moisturized in between washes? Does your specific product keep your hair moisturized for more than a day or do you reapply said product during the week? Is this product grease, pomade, liquid, oil or other consistency? Also, does your specific product have additional benefits such as acting as a growth aid, pleasant scent, helping to lay down new growth, etc?

Before I go out to the beauty supply store or visit ibeautyny.com and become a product junkie, I would like to hear some reviews on possible products that are great moisturizers in between washes.

TIA,
lovelymissyoli

Lately i've been using light oils, like Rosemary and Almond, and i also add a thicker oil ( i started two days ago) which is EVOO. Before, at the beginning of my hair care journey, i wouldn't put anything on my scalp because it felt more moisturized ever since i learned how to properly wash it and about co washes. Lately i've been shedding a lot though, and I just found out from my sister that it's because of the no-lye relaxer ive been using since i started my hair care journey. That's the reason why i'm using oils. I will return to my old relaxer (motions oil lye relaxer) or go to Affirm lye or something like that. i use the oils because they're light and they smell good and they moisturize well enough. I prefer thicker oils on my scalp though, since i keep my hair in a ponytail and i sweat a lot, something the lighter oils just dont cut it. I find that the EVOO just makes my new growth really soft and i'm very excited about that.

everytime i thought my scalp was dry it was due to a product i was using either building up on my scalp, or drying it out. i do remember reading that flax oil helps the scalp to produce more natural oils.

asphyxxia said:
everytime i thought my scalp was dry it was due to a product i was using either building up on my scalp, or drying it out. i do remember reading that flax oil helps the scalp to produce more natural oils.

I heard this also. will def. look at the flax oil choices Vitamin Shoppe this weekend.

asphyxxia said:

Wow, my hair is the exact opposite. I have to have some type of oil on my scalp or else it gets dry and flakes. So do you do a lot condition washes?

I use good old fashioned grease. The only way I would not be able to is if I washed my hair everyday.

I use Nature's Blessing and Sulfur 8 and sometimes that Lenzi's stuff. I also use the Motions cream moisturizer. I like that because it makes my hair very soft. I use WGO sometimes, as well.

I wish I could be like the ladies that don't have to, but my scalp would get too itchy.

I conditioner wash at least 2x a week and my scalp is fine. When I did get a dry patch in the back of my head I would use some carrier oils mixed with Aloe Vera gel.
When I had a relaxer my scalp was always dry:ohwell: I used Luster's pink oil.

I oil my scalp everyday with Avocado and Jojoba Oil (from bath and body works). It absorbs in my scalp LIKE THAT so its okay to do daily I guess. Sometimes I will run some WGO down through my scalp with the applicator tip on the bottle. I stopped using grease. It's too heavy.

shellzfoshizzle said:
I oil my scalp everyday with Avocado and Jojoba Oil (from bath and body works). It absorbs in my scalp LIKE THAT so its okay to do daily I guess. Sometimes I will run some WGO down through my scalp with the applicator tip on the bottle. I stopped using grease. It's too heavy.

I had planned on taking my lil one to the mall this weekend for 'mommy time' and then to the movies....will def. stop by B&BW.

shellzfoshizzle said:

Does it leave your hair feeling moisturized?

lovelymissyoli said:
Does it leave your hair feeling moisturized?

What is IT?

The Avocado & Jojoba Oil does. It's light and leaves my hair soooo soft. Not all hard and stiff like it normally is.

The WGO does. It gives great shine but if I use it everyday thats just too much greasy for me and plus I don't like the smell of it if I use it everyday.

Ok, after I cowahI rub my hair and scalp down with olive oil.
When I get ready to wash the oil out, I ***gently*** cowash it out without rubbing my scalp. Just ***gently*** palm rub the conditioner across the hair then ***gently*** rinse. Your scalp will have a good light coating of oil across it without being greasy.

Frequent co-washes...if it gets really dry I do go back to the good ol' grease for a hot minute...but co-washes keep the issue pretty much @ bay

Well, since the weather has been getting colder and I've been participating in gym class I've been using WGO and MTG. I rotate between the two every other day until I wash.

Well I have a dilemma. My scalp is so dry, but my face is so oily. I took flax seed oil(CVS brand, I think) and I think it made my face oilier/shinier. I want to try to use flax seed for my scalp, but maybe I need a different brand. Can any of you guys recommend a good brand of flax seed to use?

Thanks in advance! :)

Sazzy4Evr said:
Well I have a dilemma. My scalp is so dry, but my face is so oily. I took flax seed oil(CVS brand, I think) and I think it made my face oilier/shinier. I want to try to use flax seed for my scalp, but maybe I need a different brand. Can any of you guys recommend a good brand of flax seed to use?

Thanks in advance! :)

I eat the ground up ones from Bob's Red Mill. They sell it at Trader Joes and Whole Foods.

wash twice a week. The only thing I put on my scalp is pomada de azufre and that is for extra growth (hopefully). I only apply oils to my length and not directly to my scalp.

During the summer, I find that I don't have to really put anything on my scalp because it's gets so oily from the weather. In the winter, I oil my scalp once a week or every other week with a combinations of oils mixes consisting of some of the following oils jojoba, castor, shea, wheatgerm, meadowfoam, vitamin E.

I'm using MTG and Scurl daily.

I'm confused... I thought we were not supposed to grease our scalp. Are these oils better for both the hair and scalp or just to be used on the strands?

I'm not year round with oiling my scalp. It's warm here so I rarely need to do it, but I usually make it a point to use WGO or jojoba oil (closest to the scalps sebum) on my scalp/NG in Dec., Jan., & Feb. After that, I oil on an as needed basis...

mochamadness said:
During the summer, I find that I don't have to really put anything on my scalp because it's gets so oily from the weather. In the winter, I oil my scalp once a week or every other week with a combinations of oils mixes consisting of some of the following oils jojoba, castor, shea, wheatgerm, meadowfoam, vitamin E.

Girl your hair is BEEEEYOOOOTIFUL!!!! :yep:

mochamadness said:

beautiful hair mocha! may I ask where do you purchase your oils from? Also, how much for each do you use in your mixture?

thanks in advance

Back