What Do You Think of Stylists?

What Do You Think of Stylists?

• Most are knowledgeable and talented

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Only about half are good

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Less than 1/4 are good; most only care about style.

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Good ones are very rare; that why I'm a DIYer.

Votes: 51 78.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vtoodler

Overall, what do you think of hair stylists (particularly black stylists)?

Do you find them to usually be helpful and respectful?

Do you agree with a lot of what they say, or do you think that they perpetuate a lot of myths?

They're rare and if you find a good one hold on to her for dear life. My stylist is fantastic, but I am a DIY'er and only visit her 2x a year.

I didn't vote, but I feel like no one will treat my hair as gentle as I will. I stay away from salons, because I don't want the unnecessary breakage.

I find that when my stylist wore weaves/perms she was rough with my hair, where I would not let her wash , only flat iron and trim. Now that she is natural, she is very gentle. I was going to her every 9 months, but I may more often.

Good ones are very rare; that why I'm a DIYer.

I think there are definitely stylists that are talented, but I just haven't met many that fit my specific needs or know how to do my specific hair type.

I know now stylist style hair, so those are my only expectations from them.

Hairdresser is a term referring to anyone whose occupation is to cut or style hair in order to change or maintain a person's image. This is achieved using a combination of hair coloring, haircutting, and hair texturing techniques.

Although I recently became a stylist (outside of the home) I know that there are VERY FEW who really care about your hair. I'm really lucky to work for a place that actually does. I am still a DIYer because I'm really picky about my hairstyles/maintenance/care.

I think black stylists need to learn more about natural hair. Also most black stylists need to learn basic customer service skills and learn how to listen to their clients. Stylists should constantly want to update their skills. It seems like once they get out of school they have no desire to learn anything else about hair care.

Very rare.
I'm glad I found one that I trust.

I am a DIYer but its nice to know I have a wonderful stylist when I want a salon treat.

I am a DIYer too. And I have yet to find a stylist I would trust with my hair where I live. Not really looking for one, though....

I don't trust them. I know all aren't bad but they've left a bad taste in my mouth. The few that I've dealt with. Scissor happy, relax-happy, greedy mongrels. I'll never let them touch or get near my Hair ever again.

I have a stylist that I trust to do my hair for trims and use heat for length checks. I saw her in December and June. She is great!!

So very rare. I only go for a relaxer and after this past Saturday touch up disaster I am rethinking that!

I've had several stylists that did great by my hair. I've never had a problem getting my hair to grow. But I've also had to shop around quite a bit and I've had my share of bad stylists. My biggest complaint is customer service and just good business sense. That is lacking in so many. One that does good hair and has customer service and has good business sense is something I've never seen.

[USER=16642 said:
vtoodler[/USER];16525699]@faithVA

What do you mean by good business sense?

I'm just using it generically to include anything needed to grow and maintain a business. It could include keeping products in stock, scheduling, hours of operation, knowing what are the top 3 to 5 keys to success for your business, etc. I think most salons and stylists determine how they will run their business based on having been in another salon vs. really having read about running a business.

In my area, salons are successful more because there is more demand than supply, (more population than # of stylists) and not because they know how to run a business. It would be easy to out compete any of them.

BostonMaria what stylist do you go to in Boston?

I find that my stylist is great. She's annoying sometimes but overall shes a good stylist. I've never had a bad styling experience (except when a domincan stylist didn't base my scalp because I had too much new growth so it burned and left me underprocessed). But overall I typically research and investigate any stylist thats going to be touching my head. If I don't think you're fit to do it then I don't book an appointment.

I think finding a good stylist who will work with you is rare.
I finally found a stylist (for my relaxers) who does an awesome job. I tried DIY but she's very good so I'll stick to her from now on for my relaxers.

@BostonMaria what stylist do you go to in Boston?

I find that my stylist is great. She's annoying sometimes but overall shes a good stylist. I've never had a bad styling experience (except when a domincan stylist didn't base my scalp because I had too much new growth so it burned and left me underprocessed). But overall I typically research and investigate any stylist thats going to be touching my head. If I don't think you're fit to do it then I don't book an appointment.

lovebug10

The stylist I go to is in Lynn, MA and she does a fantastic job. I'd say 75% of her clients are African American (She's Dominican) and have been with her for a long time. I only go to her 2x a year BTW. All that blow drying and flatironing is not good for your hair. With that being said, she's very much into the health of the hair and knows how to do natural hair.

If you want her name and address please ping me.

Well after going to a black school and working in a white salon, the industry is full of arrogance and drama which is why I voted that only 1/4 really know what they're doing...
Most hair stylists think they know everything and don't want to change. White stylists are usually more respectful of time, but again they're guilty of avoiding continuing education as well.

yeah uhm, stylist have contributed to the reason why I once went natural LOL Now that I'm deep in the hair care game I am a DIYer and I believe no one can take better care of my hair than I can.
Sure there are a LOT of stylists that can 'DO SUM HAIR'. But giving good advice, being gentle, no money hungry or scissor happy? I've never had the pleasure of finding one, and I've been to African, AA, Domincan, and Caucasian salons. (Dang..I got around!)

At this stage in my HJ, I can't even think what I'd want a stylist to even do? :ohwell: the only thing I need is for my hair to be cut to an even length, and I really don't Need that. Everything else, I've got down pat! :grin:

Do stylists sometimes try to make you feel stupid and uninformed? Do they try to tell you that what you're doing is wrong and that only know what to do?

If so, how often do they do this, and what was your response to it?

Last edited:
Back