What constitutes THICK hair? Diameter of hair shaft, or strand count?

Heavenly

Or a combination of the two?

Also, does the cross-section shape of the hair strand play a major role in strength and retention? Oval or round being the strongest, versus flat being the weakest?

Not playing mad scientist here... just trying to work out a reason and solution to my hair shortcomings.... aka, breakage and thinness.. beyond the obvious texlaxing, blowdrying, flatironing. Because even when I was a natural kid, my hair was always thin and susceptible to breaking and snapping.

What do you ladies think?

People use it both ways but technically speaking thick/fine refer to size of individual strand. Density is the number of hair on your head (thick/thin?).

Last edited:
Thanks ladies. So, can I deduce that thin hair does not necessarily mean it's unhealthy, right?

Thin hair can mean just that - a lesser degree of hair density.

Thanks ladies. So, can I deduce that thin hair does not necessarily mean it's unhealthy, right?

Thin hair can mean just that - a lesser degree of hair density.

Yeah, I think "thin hair" just means there are fewer strands on the head.

I think it is coarse/fine as in the diameter of the hair and thick/thin as the actual amount of hair

you can have fine and thick hair and you can also have coarse but thin hair. I hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
What are the ponytail degree's? I forgot how they go.

I use Fia's hairtyping system. It's the first typing I'd ever encountered and it works for me. Towards the end, there's a blurb about hair thickness.

[FONT=Times, Times New Roman, serif]THIRD CLASSIFIER
Your overall volume of hair

Put your hair in a ponytail with as much hair as possible in it. Don't bother with the way it looks - the goal is to have most/all of your hair in there. If it means it sits smack dab on top of your head, put it there.

Measure the circumference of the ponytail. If you have bangs and/or you can't get all of your hair in there adjust according to how much of your hair you have measured.

To measure the circumference - take a piece of string, or a soft tape measure (the kind used by dressmakers). Wrap the string or tape measure around your ponytail - just below the elastic you have in to hold the ponytail together. Read the corresponding number from the tape measure, or hold the string at the length you've measured and use a ruler to determine how much it is. The number given is the circumference of your ponytail.

i - thin (less than 2 inches/5 centimeters)
ii - normal (between 2-4 inches or 5-10 centimeters)
iii - thick (more than 4 inches/10 centimeters)
[/FONT]

I think it's the diameter of each strand. I have a lot of strands so it gives the illusion of my hair being thick, but as soon as it's straightened, that's not the case.

I think it's the diameter of each strand. I have a lot of strands so it gives the illusion of my hair being thick, but as soon as it's straightened, that's not the case.

I totally agree. My sister has a lot of fine strands whereas I have much thicker strands but less of them. When straightened her hair looks more on the thin side than mine and people would consider me with having thicker hair than hers.

I believe thickness is the size of the strands.

If thickness went by how many strands of hair you have on your head, then all Natural Redheads would win that title (they have the most strands on their heads than any other).

So thickness per strand count
1982-Picture_1943.jpg

Thickness per strand size
afro3mt7.gif

Last edited:
Back