What can I do with pure shea butter?

alona

I bought pure shea butter to make lotion. I want to use it on my hair too. Can I use it as a moisturizer or deep conditioner? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA

You could melt some (about 1 tsp for every 8oz or so of conditioner) and mix it into the conditioner or into your leave-in if you use it. In the recipe section there are homemade butters and lotion recipes you can use too.

I buy my shea butter from a company called Nasabb. Their website provides lots of useful information on shea butter from how it should be heated to incorporating it into your daily hair and skin care routine. I have attached the link. I hope it helps.

http://www.nasabb.com/nasabbnew/hairquest1.htm

I buy mine from Nasabb also, it's great. You can use it as a hot oil treatment, just melt it in the microwave and put a hot towel on. You can also make shealoe with it (I haven't mastered this one yet). It's a mixture of half shea butter and half aloe vera gel. It comes out a light, fluffy, whipped consistencey.

Pokahontas said:
I buy mine from Nasabb also, it's great. You can use it as a hot oil treatment, just melt it in the microwave and put a hot towel on. You can also make shealoe with it (I haven't mastered this one yet). It's a mixture of half shea butter and half aloe vera gel. It comes out a light, fluffy, whipped consistencey.

How do you make it, Poka? Do you heat up both products and then whip it?

I think that's the gist of it but its tricky. (ratio, heat, timing, etc.)
When I got mine I slathered it on my hair everyday and ended up with fierce buildup. I only use it right after I shampoo and use it to seal after I apply my moisture and bun and go.

Nice & Wavy said:
How do you make it, Poka? Do you heat up both products and then whip it?
Hey girl. Here's a recipe that seems to be pretty popular....

Shealoe

1/2 cup shea butter
1/2 cup 100% aloe jelly/juice
1Tbs emulsifying wax
1Tbs honey
10-40 drops e.o.'s to your hearts content

Melt shea butter, honey, and wax in double boiler for 20 min.
Add aloe and e.o.'s and simmer for 3 min.
Let it cool naturally mixing with hand mixer every half hour or so. Should take a couple of hours to harden.

I think the honey, e.o.'s and wax are optional because it can be made w/o using these ingredients but from my understanding the emulsfying wax is used to keep the shea butter and aloe gel from separating.

Back