What are you doing about it?

Curlybeauty

My mom's hair is so dense and pretty in the back! But on the top, it is thinning out and i'm so sad for her :cry:

So my question is...what are you doing about it? What have you done to stop the thinning, or to get your hair thick again?

She says that it is a family trait, so I would even like to know how to thicken up my strands :yep:

Suggestions, links to other threads that were helpful, anything is more than welcome!

Girl, I could have written this post. My mother has long hair but she is thinning in the top and around the sides. She says she looks like Benjamin Franklin.....lol

My mother told me that thinning in the top and sides is hereditary. However, my stylist says that trait is passed down from the father's side, not the mothers. I didn't argue with her because it really makes no difference because my sides have started to thin and I have noticed a few thin spots in the top.

As soon as this started to happen, I stopped all chemicals. I have not had a relaxer in 9 months nor do I plan on getting one any time soon. I also use all natural hair products to wash and condition my hair. I use no heat and wear half wigs and wigs. Now, when using the hair wigs and wigs, I do NOT utilize the combs because if I did, they would just dig in scalp and cause more problems. I have been lucky enough to find wigs and half-wigs that fit very snug on my head, so I really don't have to use the combs. I might just use a couple of bobby pins to secure on the sides.

I also use Ovation to help thicken my hair. I have been using that for about a month and so far my hair is thickening up. I oil my scalp with either amla oil or Qhemet's burdock butter cream.

My next plan of action is changing my diet. I was doing the Impatient Dieter but the shakes started to make me ill. I am now going back to a vegan diet. I already drink a ton of water and I am sure that is helping my hair as well.

I remember when I started experiencing thinning and breakage at the nape of my neck Nioxin worked for me. I think I purchased System 3 for processed hair (I was relaxed at the time). It included the shampoo, conditioner, follicle booster and vitamins.

They worked wonders for me. Here is their website:

http://www.nioxin.com/en/home.aspx

Why not take their assessment to see which products they recommend for you and your mom. They're a little pricey, but it was well worth it for me.

HHJ!

Last edited:
I remember when I started experiencing thinning and breakage at the nape of my neck Nioxin worked for me. I think I purchased System 3 for processed hair (I was relaxed at the time). It included the shampoo, conditioner, follicle booster and vitamins.

They worked wonders for me. Here is their website:

http://www.nioxin.com/en/home.aspx

Why not take their assessment to see which products they recommend for you and your mom. They're a little pricey, but it was well worth it for me.

HHJ!
OMG!! Thank you for reminding me about Nioxin! I used to use their products back in the day :yep:

I am definately going to go back and take a look at their products. That definately helped!

OMG!! Thank you for reminding me about Nioxin! I used to use their products back in the day :yep:

I am definately going to go back and take a look at their products. That definately helped!

Aren't they the best?! I still take the vitamins to this day. I really can't say anything bad about the product. It totally came through for me.:yep:

I think alot of it too is Hormonal Issues/ Imbalance. During Perimenopause leading up to Menopause a whole lot of stuff gets thrown off balance. Weight Gain, Bloating, Hair/Skin issues etc.......Thinning, Breakage, Dry Hair is all too common during this time of a Woman's Life:sad:

I don't think this is talked about enough and alot of Women are Alarmed when they start seeing specific changes happening because they haven't been well-equipped enogh to know what some of the signs/symptoms are.

So it's best to take a pro-active approach and try to stay on top of it.:ohwell:

I am using the oils in this thread. i found an article on the internet about it and started using it. I plan on making my mom some but have to do it when I got to NY in May. I can't give her instructions as she is hair handicap. :lachen:
I have been using it for about 1.5 mnths and notice fuzzies in the spot nothing dramatic but my hair overall is getting thicker and growing faster. I have now braided my hair in a pattern that exposes the spot so i can pay more attention to it as far as massaging etc which I wasn't doing before.

Back