What are bantu knots considered?

Bantu knots are.

Any style where the ends are not exposed are considered protective styling (from what I gather from here). For me I also consider when I wear my hair in a high pony, or in a clip with curly ends out a form of protection...though not as much. If my hair is just out there, straight or curly, I don't consider it protected in any form.

If you keep the knots in, it's a protective style.

If you do a knot out, it's not a protective style.

If your ends are not tucked in/protected then it's not a protective style :)

Yes, because there was no heat used to create the curls/waves.

This is news to me. I didn't realize heat was the deciding factor when talking about manipulation.

I thought it was about how much you actually manipulate (comb, brush, mechanically handle) the hair. Though, I do see how heat is a manipulation.

I think I just have a weird definition. The only thing I consider low manipulation on myself is when I rinse my hair and then pull back into a puff. Everything else (twists/braids/etc) is just regular manipulation. I would consider heat usage high manipulation because I'd have to handle my hair more.

In my opinion it all depends on how you do them. I do them often and I consider it a low manipulation the way I do them.

I just part the hair in sections and twist in to knots and pin. I glides fingers through the sections before twisting them just to make sure there are no knots, but that's it. No comb used at all, at least for me personally.

It may be more manipulation if you use a comb to comb through each section.

for me its low manipulation. i didnt comb thru. oil and moisturizer and twist right up easy. take down and go.

Back