Weddings on a Budget

Vanity1

I thought this was a good article for ladies who are headed down the aisle.

http://www.essence.com/relationships/advice/articles/budgetbride?xid=120808-ENews-Monday-PlusText

"I Designed My Dream Wedding on a Dime!"

Bridgette Bartlett

bride400.jpg

View photos from Tavon's wedding »
Admit it. No matter how cynical you might be about love and marriage, you've fantasized about your dream wedding at least once. But with the average American wedding costing nearly $30,000, most of us quickly put those dreams on the back burner. Meet Tavon Ferguson, a 25-year-old sister who managed to pull off her fantasy nuptials—complete with a fly gown and gorgeous reception—for $6,000. ESSENCE.com spoke to the graduate student to get the scoop on how to not become a bridezilla, using the Internet to find free labor, and what really counts most when tying the knot.
ESSENCE.COM: Congratulations, newlywed! So, were you one of those little girls who started planning her wedding at 12?
TAVON FERGUSON:
I really didn't even think I was going to get married until I met my husband. It wasn't until we started dating that those dreams actually came about. I had ideas of things I wanted to do, but I hadn't been to a lot of weddings so I was very open to the things that I wanted to have for my own.
ESSENCE.COM: So spill the beans, because sisters want to know-how did you pull this off?
FERGUSON:
(Laughs.) I live every part of my life with the motto: I'd rather have more for less. So, whether it's shopping for clothes or the house or even tuition for school, I follow this and the wedding just became an extension of that motto. I was able to get my photographer and deejay for free. I found the photographer, another graduate student, on Craigslist.com. He was trying to get his name out as a wedding photographer. Our engagement and wedding pictures were free. The deejay was the boyfriend of a friend and he was also trying to get into weddings. A lot of people don't realize that most vendors will work for free when they're just starting out as long as they're able to reference you. A friend of mine is a makeup artist and she did my makeup for free that day as my wedding present. One of my husband's friends is a caterer and he hosted our rehearsal dinner for free as well.
ESSENCE.COM: Amazing! What other ways did you save money to jump the broom?
FERGUSON:
I purchased my wedding gown from Craigslist.com. I got a $650 David's Bridal dress for $200 with the tags still attached! I was able to purchase 100 invitations from Party City for $30. I hosted a party with dinner and drinks one night and had my bridal party help me assemble them. I got my flowers from Costco and rented a cake for my pictures but served sheet cake to my guests at the reception. We held the ceremony and the reception in the same place and everything: the food, linen, drinks, chair covers, the cake-cutting fee, wait staff was all $5,500. Everything else was only $500. And I even saved on our honeymoon. It was $1500 for the entire trip; eight days and seven nights at an all-inclusive resort in the Dominican Republic. Our airfare was included. [Editor's note: The honeymoon costs are not included in the $6,000.]
ESSENCE.COM: Very impressive, but it seems like it was a lot of work. How did you avoid becoming a bridezilla to your friends and family?
FERGUSON:
It is a blessing for people to agree to be in your wedding. I didn't think that it was a privilege for my friends to participate. I didn't want my bridesmaids to spend $200 on a dress that they would never wear again. Knowing that people may not have a lot of money, I went out of my way to find a dress they would all like. I knew I had succeeded when one of my bridesmaids asked if she could wear her dress before the actual ceremony. They were from Delias.com on sale and I got free shipping. I also purchased their bridemaid's gifts, sterling silver engraved bracelets, for $8 from Weddingchannelstore.com.
ESSENCE.COM: What do you have to say to brides who still think they need a year's salary to plan their own dream wedding?
FERGUSON:
I think the biggest thing is that your wedding should be more about you and your husband and not about the price tag of the things you think you have to have. If you focus more on it being the perfect day for you and your husband, you will have a lot less stress. You won't compare yourself to your friend that just got married or Star Jones or some other celebrity. That way you're able to add and subtract and create a wedding that is really your own. The type of wedding where people leave and say, "Wow, those two really love each other." Concentrate on making it about you and your husband.

Very nice, I like how her mom was her maid of honor. I'm sending this to my cousin, she recently got engaged. Thanks OP.

I read this article earlier this was right on point. I never seen the since in spending $20,000 on one day especially if you don't have it. I recently got engaged and I'm setting my wedding budget between $6,000-$7,000.

I always wanted to have a cheap but very beautiful wedding. I wanted to make the cake myself, decorate my church with rented flowers let family cater yada yada....I hope i get as good as her one day!

I read this article earlier this was right on point. I never seen the since in spending $20,000 on one day especially if you don't have it. I recently got engaged and I'm setting my wedding budget between $6,000-$7,000.

That was our budget and we didnt go over. We had a very very nice wedding IMO.

I don't see how people can literally spend that much on one day...If you're rich, understandable, but who can seriously afford $20k without going into debt? Our goal is 5K,and the reception hall only cost 2,500, so we're making it work:yep:

I don't see how people can literally spend that much on one day...If you're rich, understandable, but who can seriously afford $20k without going into debt? Our goal is 5K,and the reception hall only cost 2,500, so we're making it work:yep:

:yep: It is very easy to make it work.
Our families would have spent 20 k easily, but it wasnt that serious to me. That can go to other things, but to those who do it or have done it, it is what they want, so thats good for them too. It is a special day most definately and I believe in getting what you want out of it, but I was willing to budge only so much from my pockets. :lachen:

Cool.. Sounds like a few people I know.. I think if people want that this can be done more often.. In fact it is.. I think people feel like they have to spend alot of money on a wedding. I am in love with your cake..

Easily...one of the members in my fam spent $5000 on the ladie's wedding ring alone....and The engagement ring was 1000

Thanks for this article. My SO and I are "talking" about getting engaged, so I'm thinking ahead. I might have to keep my eye on that venue!

I highly recommend the book bridal bargains. My hubby bought this for me when we were engaged after someone recommended it to him. This book probably saved us about few thousand dollars on our wedding.

Thank you so much for this!!! I have $7K saved up so far for my wedding. I just had a dream last night about my wedding and how expensive it was going to be. I want to have a nice wedding but I don't want to go in debt over it.

That was our budget and we didnt go over. We had a very very nice wedding IMO.

Funny, 6k was our budget too and we came in at just under 7k. That's including the rehearsal dinner.

ETA- I just looked at her pics. Nice wedding!
The only thing I don't like is the fakey cake thing. You can still get a beautiful cake to cut and eat for about that amount.

Last edited:
Funny, 6k was our budget too and we came in at just under 7k. That's including the rehearsal dinner.

ETA- I just looked at her pics. Nice wedding!
The only thing I don't like is the fakey cake thing. You can still get a beautiful cake to cut and eat for about that amount.

thats what i was thinking as well

Our goal was to have a wedding under $10K and we ended up spending $8K. This included the ceremony itself, the rehearsal dinner, wedding planner for the last 2 weeks ( I highly recommend this, I felt no pressure at all on my wedding day), and the reception.

I am grateful for family and friends who donated their services to make the decorations as their wedding present to us and whatever we didn't make ourselves, we rented.

I plan to have my wedding on a budget (whenever that time comes), but best believe it won't look like it was on a budget. I want a simple elegant ceremony and dinner by the lake. I need to stop, I'm not even dating.

Anyway, I much prefer starting a life together comfortably than trying to impress everyone for one day.

Budget weddings can be done. My wedding was only $5000 and that includes my dress, shoes, etc....But it was gorgeous! My family has great friends that gave us a lot as wedding presents :)

I got married on Carnival Cruise Lines and spent about $2000 for the ceremony and 1 1/2 hour reception with an open bar.

Nice ideas but I would still pass. The first time around I did a destination wedding. All I had to do was pick the time and the planner did everything else. My second time around, if it happens I will do the JP and have an extravagant honeymoon.

I am just not into big weddings. I am 37 and I will be a bridesmaid for the first time next year. I have always turned down my friends and chose small jobs, ie have everyone sign the book or watch the wishing well. Too much stress.

I take off my hat to you ladies who organized your weddings.

I love this article.. My budget is 6,000-7,000 and so far I am under budget.. I have everything but,shoes, make-up, hair, wedding favors, and DJ.. I think a budget is the best way to go. It can be just as beautiful as a 50,000 wedding and you won't have to start your new life in debt.. which is the most important thing!

Yes, even on my budget when I do decide to tie the knot. I am doing it on a budget.

I can't stand that show Platnium Weddings

$200,000 for flowers???
WTH

and then the coulpe splits in one year give me a break.=/

I just got married at the same venue she used. Definitely recommend having wedding & reception at the same place for convenience (for you & your guests) and cost savings.

You wanna give us details:grin:

I'm sorry I've not been back in here

Flowers- Our wedding was in February. Which means that flowers don't bloom in the winter. The only real flowers that I had were bouquets, bouts, and corsages.

Dress- both of my dresses (yes I had two) were from ebay.

Lingerie, shoes, jewelry, etc all came from ebay

Food-we had buffet. Food was paid for 150 people. We had about 200+ arrive. There was more than enough leftover. My mom paid for the food. She paid for X amnt which made sense.

Cake- the cake was HUGE. We had my cake and his cake (Cowboys football field) for $600. Find a baker that is new. Ours was a neighbor, and classmate from HS. He also worked with DH. The topper was from ebay. It was my tiara that I opted not to wear. I wore crystal barettes from Claire's ($10).

Money was spent/splurged on memories. Video and pictures.

Venue- reception venue was the Visitors Center for $650. Church was free.

Paper- Invites, programs, tissue packs, reception info, etc was all DIY.

Decor- minimal decor. I diy'd the aisle runner, pew bows, vase for floating unity candle, etching for toasting flutes. Guestbook was a $5 scrapbook from Ross.

Transportation- we only used the limo to take me to the church and us to the reception. We took a Black Cab to the hotel. DH rode with the guys to the church.

Music-we had a regular, franchised DJ for the reception. Our minister of music did our ceremony. My ex (future) SIL sung at the ceremony as well.

I planned everything but just had a Day of Coordinator.

I also planned two years in advance. It sounds funny to some, but I purchased little by little and when the day came I was soooo relaxed.

Last edited:
Back