Weaves/protective styling in the summer

LeftRightRepeat

Weave wearers, do you still weave it up in the summer?

am I the only hot headed person who just can't do it? I do need a protective style however, as I have serious hand in hair syndrome and have just recovered from the damage that I did the last time my I took out my weave for an extended period.

Last edited:
Thug it out :lol: shorter weaves, lighter hair, braids in a bun, etc. I'm a chronic bun and ponytail wearer (11+ years) so technically I'm always in a protective style.

Last summer I had rope twists in a bun for a month and Ghana braids in a bun. Braids really spoiled me but this summer I'm looking at crochet braids.

I was thinking of microbraids or invisible braids which is what I usually do, but my husband doesn't like them. I usually get them anyway :lol:

I was just wondering if there's any technique or modification that can be done to a weave that would make it not as hot :look:

my weaves are usually pretty short, about APL or shorter. SuchaLady you mentioned lighter hair. Is there a certain type that is considered lighter?

LeftRightRepeat Last summer I got my hair done twice with two different types of hair. The kinkier hair that helped the style last was heavy as all get out :duck: Hope no one gets in their feelings over that :look: When I used a straighter texture I only needed 1.5 packs. My hair felt the breeze :rofl: Felt like I had simply styled my own hair.

Weaves are my go to summer style, I wear Brazilian curly hair. I don't find it particularly hot but I actually do cowash it quite often.

I used to but for the last couple of yrs, I have been weave free during the summer. Part of my job is going outside at least once a week and I sweat a lot from my head naturally so during that time, I can't stand my weaves. I wore braids last year and it wasn't so bad but most likely will wear braids in a updo style or bun.

Cant go wrong with single braids! Can be styled so many ways and washed as needed. But I think I want long cornrolls like the early 2000s! Luckily I work in a casual environment.

But as for weaves I would definitely go with some type of curly hair. Origin by Outre is really nice and seems light though ive never tried it personally. Kinky curly hair is not as heavy as one may think. Bc its so full you need less hair...imo anyway

Part of my problem with braids is that I wash frequently (once a week - my braider is horrified) and with washing comes the hair starts coming out the braid and looking untidy.

I remember seeing a lady on BHM who did weave for the front of her hair and then microbraids at the back. With her hair up in a bun it looked like braids, and when it was all combed down you couldn't see the braids. It looked good.....but sounds complicated :lol:.

Part of my problem with braids is that I wash frequently (once a week - my braider is horrified) and with washing comes the hair starts coming out the braid and looking untidy. I remember seeing a lady on BHM who did weave for the front of her hair and then microbraids at the back. With her hair up in a bun it looked like braids, and when it was all combed down you couldn't see the braids. It looked good.....but sounds complicated :lol:.

Micro braids take your hair out.

I will still be in my wigs during the summer it will just be bobs and curly hair until it cools. My plan is to protective style for the whole year.

I just discovered crochet braids over the weekend. And I saw that there's a thread on it here. I saw some cute styles on a pinterest page that someone posted. Now to find a good braided in Atlanta.

Back