Weave With A Cap or No Cap?

coconow2007

The recent threads regarding weaves has really got me thinking about having one done and using it as my protective style for the next few months. I have never done one before so I have been pouring over the lhcf threads and doing research on the internet and calling stylists.

However, I need to know if you need to use a weave cap or can you go without it. Please let me know the pro's and cons of using a cap or not using one. Also, I saw some techniques where the cornrows were braided in with extra hair to help hold the track is this necessary?

Thanks for any advice you can share :yep:

I prefer a cap. For me its added protection for my hair against the thread, tracks and other everday wear & tear.. I also think that it makes my installs flatter. Also It makes me more comfortable when removing the weave that I'm not messing with my real hair.

I don't wear weaves, wigs or LF's like that but if I did I would def wear a cap under. It will protect your hair from the friction of the weave and keep it neatly placed and prevents knots/locking.

I remember when I was like 17 yrs old and I got a "quick weave" that was short stacked on top and long in the back (that was the style back then) and the hair stylist wrapped my APL hair and glued the tracks (black weave glue) over my wrapped hair (that had been spritz/gel down and dried under a hooded dryer). I didn't know any better and wore it like that for about 3 weeks.

Lawd! When it was time to take that CRAP out it was a horrid mess! The tracks came off fine with oil sheen but the glue was stuck to my hair and gave me a permenate wrap. I spend two days trying to get my hair to unwrap and get the glue off. I had glue residue on my hair until I permed it the next month and I lost hair and was SL in some areas and APL in others.

So to be safe, Cap it up!

I personally don't like the cap. I can't get to my hair underneath in order to give it a good wash and condition with the cap.

It does make the weave easier to take out though. Once you get the thread around the perimeter it pretty much comes off in one piece. It also hides the braids so if the wind blows or your hair parts or something you can't see them. The net makes a totally smooth/flat surface.

As far as the cornrows with the extra hair go, it's not really necessary but it will make your weave last longer through washing and wear and tear. It makes the braid base stronger. Most of the time they do that for people's hair that isn't really long enough to braid or is damaged to give it extra support.

I've had weaves done with the braided hair added in and without and it doesn't make that much of a difference for me. If you are going to do the cap/net you don't need the synthetic hair. But if you aren't going to do the net/cap I would add the braiding hair in. You don't really need both.

Last edited:
Back