weave/braid wearers & summer challenge

keylargo

Hi everyone! i've been slacking big time and this summer challenge is just what i need to get back in the game. i've been spending way too much time in the "off-topics" area and not enough time in the haircare area here
wallbash.gif

Okay, so here's my hair update & regimen:
i would love to add daily rinses to my routine but i'm concerned about my hair getting matted or mildewed. i wear a sewn in weave right now and i get it redone at least once a month. i guess i will just have to test it out.

i made up a batch of water,suave coconut conditoner, evoo, advocado oil and mixed it all in a spray bottle. i will spray my hair between the tracks regularly. should i do this daily? will that be too much moisture for hair that's braided or tucked away in a weave?

also, i only use shampoo once a month when i go to the salon. i have a relaxer and shampoo dries my hair out. my hair does well with mostly conditioner washes.

my hairdresser trims my hair regularly and she applies my relaxers. i had really overprocessed ends and they are almost gone
grin.gif
just maybe a 1/4 inch left to trim.

i have to put my foot down on the heat still. even though i have a weave, the front of my hair is left out to blend in. so, i have the tendacy to flat iron that area way too much. i will try to use my conditioner mixture above as a leave in and use worlds of curls activator to slick that section down without heat. i'll see how that goes.

also, i've managed to stay away from the color demons i've yet to add permanent color to my hair even though i've always have in the past. right now i just use rinses.
clap.gif

oh and i need to get back into my vitamin routine too.

Hi Keylargo, I have decided to cornrow my hair to grow out a short cut. About 3 weeks ago I went and got med. sized cornrows done very very loosely. I had to remind the African lady from 125th St. that if she braided my hair tight or pulled it that I was not going to pay. So with that done I wet my hair every 3 days, sprayed it everyday with s curl, put carrot oil on my scalp and put Glover's medicated sulphur treatment on the scalp too. I just took my hair out and it felt great. But as I lightly went over my hair with my hands the snowing of hair started
mad.gif
. So right now as I type I sitting here with Aphogee protein treatment on my hair waiting for that to dry and get hard. Then after that I will be deep conditioning with KeraCare Humecto with heat for about an hour. We will see from there. April 25th was the day I was supposed to get my touch up but wanted to prolong it. I hope that my little bit of hair that I did manage to get is not going to leave me
crazy.gif
. Here is the "Big ?" what should I do now? Should I A: Get the cornrows or box braids again or B:Go get my touch up? Then get the braids three or four weeks later. Of course I will be deep conditioning, hot oil treatments and such for about three or four days straight no matter what I deciede. This is day one. I have something special coming up on the 22nd of May and really wanted my hair to look nice. What do you Ladies think? Oh Yeah almost forgot My Hair has grown 2 whole healthy inches since I became a member, Thanks to <font color="red"> </font> EVERYBODY I mean EVERYBODY
kiss.gif
. Happy Mother's Day To All.

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Keylargo, I have decided to cornrow my hair to grow out a short cut. About 3 weeks ago I went and got med. sized cornrows done very very loosely. I had to remind the African lady from 125th St. that if she braided my hair tight or pulled it that I was not going to pay. So with that done I wet my hair every 3 days, sprayed it everyday with s curl, put carrot oil on my scalp and put Glover's medicated sulphur treatment on the scalp too. I just took my hair out and it felt great. But as I lightly went over my hair with my hands the snowing of hair started

[/ QUOTE ]

what do you mean by snowing of hair??

Hi.
I got my weave taken out last week (I had it in for 7 weeks) and I thought that I had lost quite a bit of hair. My stylist said, 'no' that it was the normal amount. I still can't tell. (The length seems the same-I got a small trim-and it's still thick...)I am going to get it washed and pressed on Tuesday, so I should have a better idea. so I think I will find the challenge thread and sign up. I need some motivation...

well, when i wore braids, i lost what seemed like a lot of hair when i removed them. i think it's just because you're not combing your hair daily. so, with the normal loss of hair that everyone experiances, a months worth of normal hair loss is what you could have. as long as you don't continue to shed hair or have bald spots you should be fine.

yes. i relax every 6-8 weeks. however, i didn't relax when i wore braids. i wore braids to grow out my relaxer. now that i'm wearing a weave, i relax regularly.

wow I wasn't even thinking about mildewing and matting. I co wash my hair 3 times a week and I wash once. Does anyone have a weave and do co washes? Maybe a way to prevent mildewing is to air dry it with a cool fan?

Dang, I'm getting my weave in a few weeks and have not thought about what my natural hair will be doing (I'm getting a sew in). I have been preparing my hair though for the weave by deep conditioning every week and my hair is pressed right now. I also had the stylist who presses my hair give me a good trim and even it out on Friday because since I took those stankin cornrows out (which broke my hair by the way), my hair was all over the place.

Well I'm getting some med. size micros put in at the beginning of June. (I can't wait!) Anyways, I plan to keep my braids really moisturized w/ scurl and braid spray. I will probably get my hair retouched,but I plan to leave my braids in to late July/early August. That's my plan for the Summer. Hopefully I'll gain a couple of inches as well.

k firstly what soes mildewing mean??

secondly kamilla yo regiment is VERY similar to mine except that i plan on usin either a curly hair weave or cornrows for growth his month coz i'm tired of sittin for long periods of time to fo and undo my hair and the knots are a bit of a time waster tryna take them out

i'm currently in cornrows and plan (hope really) to keep wm in for 8weeks so i have at least an inch of growth by the time i take them out on june 24...wish me luck

So I should not get the touch up? Should I go for the med. micros or cornrows? After the Aphogee treatment the breakage stopped and I'm now doing a deep conditioning treatment with heat. So far I have not seen any more shedding or breakage. Oh yeah if I do get the touch up how long should I wait before getting the braids?

firstly i think u needa consider these question
1. why do u want to relax it? i.e can u go ithout a relaxer?
2. for the event u have on the 22nd can u go wit braids/ cornrows and look nice ?
3. what kinda condition is yo hair in now??

coz if u can go for a bit without relaxin then yo hair will do better coz less relaxin = less chance of over relaxin and also over lappin therefore yo hair will break less coz yo hair may hve been snowin coz it was over treated to the poitn where it cudnt take them cornrows that u put in...how did the conditionin go today?? did the breakage stop?? coz if it didnt then it wudnt be a good idea to relax agen so soon coz u may need to condition it more to make sure its at its healthiest

good luck on what u decide and pliz keep us posted

Re: weave/braid wearers &amp; summer challenge

Yes the breaking stopped. Think that it was normal after doing some reading up on it. I would love to have the micros but they always take my hair out by the root. Thus the thinning look. I'm still thinking and gathering info on what to do. Thanks much for the Q's I really needed the advice. Have you ever been so scared for your hair you don't know what to do with it? That is where I'm at right now. All I know is that conditioning, hot oil, S curl, mango butter and water has never hurt my hair so I end up put one of those things on my hair just for the sake of doing something non hurtful to my hair. But summer time is coming and I can not go on doing this. lol

[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever been so scared for your hair you don't know what to do with it? That is where I'm at right now. All I know is that conditioning, hot oil, S curl, mango butter and water has never hurt my hair so I end up put one of those things on my hair just for the sake of doing something non hurtful to my hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel ya. I am in the same boat too. Hopefully, we will find solutions.

i bet u're happy that the sheddings started lisag and i kno wot u mean bout bein afraid of doin nothin to yo hair that will harm it so i'm in corn rows and weaves for summer

p.s. what does mildew mean??

when i say mildew i mean when your hair doesnt dry good and start to get sour and stinky. Kind of like carpet that gets wet and does not get aired out or dried properly. do you get what i mean?

just got micros. And they are just sitting there. I really not happy with them at all. I want to get them cut and styled. Maybe I will feel differently about them I hope. Should I go to my stylist or shop around for someone else. I was thinking that my stylist might be upset being that she will not be getting any money from me for a while. And the cut will not come out right. I plan on using s curl activator spray ogr carrot oil on each braid and every 3 days rinses. What else should I do. oh yeah the braider did not do the braids tight at all. Can anyone suggest a sylist that I will be able to go to in the Harlem area? Thanks
t micros.

I can tell you what a lot of people here in Philly do with there micros. They put mousse on them and then cornrow them going back for a day or two... I really don't know how long but you see people out and about with their micros cornrowed. Once they have set sufficiently they just release the cornrows and wear the hair out.

Also, the first time I got micros (I'm wearing them now for the 2nd time) my braider put them up in a high ponytail and just cut the hair straight across and when I wore it out it looked fine. Hope this helps...
blush.gif
hwell:

Is this a separate challenge or is the braiding challenge just a cousin of the Super Summer Grow Out?

Back