Ways to stretch out texlaxed hair?

bb09

I’m at a wits end because I've tried to rollerset –I can do it, but it’s discouraging knowing that it’ll come out horribly (puffy /knots at demarcation line. Just way too much manipulation). I've tried to airdry -been doing this for years, but I can't straighten afterwards, bcos my hair isn’t stretched out well beforehand. I've tried doing braidouts –but it ends up frizzy, with 3” of underprocessed /matted NG.

For those who Bantu knot out, how exactly is that done? And for those that blowdry, can you pls direct me to vids.. particularly how to do it safely with a brush. Texlaxing has been the Worst of both worlds for me :lol:. I'll include a pic when I can get it off my phone on Monday

Have you tried airdying with a scarf? Pull your hair back(braid, pony, or bun)- apply leave ins, etc and place a scarf over it. You can either air dry like that, or I sit under my bonnett dryer for 30 minutes.

My hair is very coarse- but this get's my hair straightened out enough that I could flat iron my hair after if I wanted too.

Also if you blowdry with the tension method that will straighten out your hair too and you don't need to use any attachments and it is less manipulation.[video=youtube;Us6r3H0xpMk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us6r3H0xpMk[/video]

Hi I'm texlaxed and I stretch my relaxers to 12-16 weeks, depending on my new growth.

I use Redken Smooth Down Shampoo and Conditioner. It helps with straightening.
At the beginning of my stretch I use Keracare and Mane & Tail conditioners. But by week 8-16...it's all Redken all the way.

I straighten my hair after detangling with a shower comb. I make sure the hair is soaking wet -that's the key for a straight blow dry - and then I blow dry using a ceramic ionic blow dryer with a COMB attachment. Not a brush. (brushes rip my hair to shreds and I don't retain length brushing)

Blow dry in about eight small sections or more. Then I make sure the hair is completely dry - very important - and flat iron on medium/lowish heat with a ceramic tourmaline flatiron - I use a Sedu right now, but the best flat iron for my hair was the older version of the Maxiglide (with the blue botton) without the plates. I flat iron in tiny sections for the best results and I go slowly on purpose.

I use a light oil on my hair after flatironing. I use a heat protectant leave in conditioner before blowdrying. I use Softee Grease just a dime size amount for shine and to seal my moisture/unless I use my oil mixture Vitamin E/Jojoba/Castor/Olive Oil mixed in a bottle.

I usually get relaxer straight results. Even after week 12 of stretching. Oh and I only wear my hair down for about three days (rolling it at night with flexi rods) and then I put it up in a bun for the next 2-3 days. But by week 16, I usually just wear a bun with serum used for detangling and that's it until it's time to touch it up. I hope this helps you!

Have you tried airdying with a scarf? Pull your hair back(braid, pony, or bun)- apply leave ins, etc and place a scarf over it. You can either air dry like that, or I sit under my bonnett dryer for 30 minutes.

My hair is very coarse- but this get's my hair straightened out enough that I could flat iron my hair after if I wanted too.

Also if you blowdry with the tension method that will straighten out your hair too and you don't need to use any attachments and it is less manipulation.
It gets your hair straightened enough that you can flat iron it? I'm gonna have to go back to that then. Just -my hair loves to knot at the demarcation line.

BB- it does get my hair straight enough to flat iron it, but I don't have 3 inches of NG either. But it works even at 10-12 weeks post for me. And I can part through it easily. Are you stretching or trying to transition?

Also have you tried Rollersetting with mesh rollers and pins? The pins help to get some tension going and helps stretch out the NG.

I'm not one to encourage buying a bunch of products, but it sound like you aren't using the right leave-ins. For your rollersets, you have to pull the roller taunt and create tension on soaking wet hair to get a smooth set. If you use the right leave ins, the comb will glide right through without a lot of manipulation.

You've got to get the right leave-in combination because if not, your bantu knots will be just as frizzy as your braid-outs.

SelfStyled, -I can never actually part through my hair, even at a relaxer. I usually stretch my relaxers to every 4 months. I stretched my last relaxer to 6 months though out of convenience, and it came out So underprocessed. So it’s a lot to deal with.

Solitude, -thank you. But when my hair is soaking wet, I think that’s when it tangles the most. It’s not so much that I can’t rollerset.. I can’t part through my hair. It sticks together like glue when it’s wet. And I always hear tearing when I’m trying to separate each section so I stopped. It’s actually making the sections that’s the problem. I can get the comb through each section I comb.

bb09 what's your wash day routine? What product are you using to shampoo? Do you follow with a moisturizing deep conditioner? Are you using a leave-in product to give your hair some moisture and slip to make it easier to work with?

I think it's good for you to be gentle when your hair is wet - rollersetting may not be for you. SelfStyled gave you great advice by suggesting air-drying (at least mostly, and then finishing with the tension blowdry, just make sure you use a heat protectant. A lot of people recommend IC Fantasia).

Solitude –For my last rollerset, I used I think 3 parts or more water to 1 part conditioner, then nioxin thermal bliss on the other side (acts as heat protectant).

Honestly though, when my hair’s wet and I try to detangle or rollerset, it just tangles. Nothing will give me slip.. lol Nothing. In terms of (deep) conditioners, I can use anything, because as soon as I rinse it out, any slip goes.

I’ll definitely airdry tight with the scarf, then maybe attempt to blowdry. I’m just done with hair! or atleast texlaxing it.

1 more thing though. Do you think my new growth is the reason I can't part through my hair? (Even at relaxer time).. I can only do it with my fingers slowly. Any tips?

Back