want to relax at home

stoshgirl

Hey everyone!!!
I just wanted to know wat r ur thoughts about home relaxers. I am realy and truly broke this month and i bought optimum care regular relaxer. What are your suggestions in the steps i should take while doing so. Any special treatments or whatever??
HOLLA!!!!!
smile.gif

Dive in and do it. base your scalp (i use vaseline--any petroleum jelly works just fine
smile.gif
). I tend to move much faster using my hands to part as opposed to a comb. i have my relaxer completely applied within 5-7 minutes this way and still have a good 8-10 minutes to smooth with the back of the comb thru my newgrowth. I use the orange thick rattail comb that you see in all the BSS for smoothing my relaxer. also make sure to spend as much time rinsing out your relaxer as you spend applying it. Some people may find this excessive but i believe if you spend 15-18 minutes applying smoothing, that you should spend the same amount of time washing and rinsing it out
smile.gif
i'm sure other members have more advice for ya
wink.gif
good luck -- btw, i just touched up my hair this afternoon so you can see those pics in my album -- jainygirl

I relaxed in November and here are some tricks I used:
I base with petroleum jelly or the base that comes w/the relaxer...
1. I sectioned my hair into four parts...

2. I relaxed from the inside out, meaning I started at my crown and worked my way to the edges...the middle is the thickest part and takes the longest to process so I do that part first..I save my edges for the very end sot that they don't get overprocessed..
3. I stand backwards in the shower and rinse my hair for 10 minutes w/warm water..I part it and let it run down the back(not my face) until all the relaxer is out..then I leave the nuetralizer shampoo in my hair for 5 minutes(this is to get the shampoo to penetrate the roots) or so...then I rinse and this is continued until the neutralizer is no longer pink...Then I deep condition under the dryer for 20 minutes and style as usual(normallyrollerset w/wrap lotion)....

I relax the front first, wash it out (making sure not to get the back wet) and then relax he back. This way each section gets equal processing time. I dont however suggest that you attempt this until you are familiar with the normal way.

Just wanted to add there are a few threads on this with more detailed tips. Do a search with the words "self" and "relax" in it and see what pops up.

Back