Vaseline on ends =breakage if not done carefully

syze6

Hello Chickees!

First, let me say that Vaseline has done wonders for my ends. I don't get trims so often because it protects them and leaves them in good shape. Th only problem I noticed is after I wash/condition, I put my hair in a ponytail and spread the vaseline on about 3inches of hair. A couple of times while spreading the V on my ends, I would get a little breakeage due to the thickness. I find that when I mix it with shea butter it makes it easier to spread on about 3inches without breaking from the stretching it downward. I also have found that a small paint brush makes it easier. Has anyone else had this problem?

Never used vasaline precisely because it is so heavy. I use natural oils on my ends, like jojoba, castor, avacado, etc and then only a few drops every other day or so. Do you get good bounce to your hair when you use V?

I doubt u would get any bounce from vaseline, I think they are using it as a coating of protection, which is much thicker than any of the natural oils. Most wear their hair in a bun, etc, when using vaseline. I think it is possible to use it on the ends with a braidout but not too much. I used it on the tips of my braids a couple of times to make them hold(didnt want to use gel) and my ends were nice and soft the next day...

Thanks for clearing that up 'cause I'm thinking OMG, brushing vasaline on 3 inches of my hair!!?? I couldn't lay my head down anywhere without leaveing a smear! I've never like grease of any kind 'cause I like my hair to be touchable . . .

I apply vaseline to about the last 2 inches of my hair every 3 days (i do this at night before bed) and put it into a bun. The next day i usually wear my hair in a bun as well. By that evening my ends are soft and touchable. it depends on giving it time to "set" i think because the only time i've thought i used too much is when i took down my hair down soon after applying the Vaseline
smile.gif
i also use ultra sheen at times but to me it's all the same.

Also, i just use my hand to apply the vaseline, not a comb or brush
nono.gif
i think combing thru your hair while it has the vaseline freshly applied would cause damage, so that may also be part of the problem. I just smooth it down the last two inches of my hair with my hand and that's it. HTH -- jainygirl

syze6- I did get breakage when I last tried this method. I never thought of mixing it with something less sticky to increase the smoothness. Thanks for the tip.

i only put vaseline on the last inch or so. i never use it when i wear my hair in straight styles. i do though when i do a braidout. the heaviness of it keeps my hair from getting to big, but i don't use enough to get the greasies.

Back