Using Conditioners to Remove Silicones

Ogoma

I was perusing the point of interest blog and I came across the comment and a link to another post on centrimonium chloride.

She had asked if those going the no-shampoo method also avoided heat styling and anti-frizz products. Someone had responded rarely, but when used, a sulfate shampoo will be used to remove the 'cones from the hair. Here was her response to that comment:

Susan Barclay-Nichols said... Why would you use a shampoo with SLS shampoo to remove silicones when any shampoo would do (and something with cetrimonium chloride would work even better!)? SLS is a very strong detergent and it isn't great for our hair - you can read a post on it here - and mild shampoos are more than enough to remove silicones! This seems counter productive to me - don't wash with shampoo normally, then use something harsh to remove build up, then don't wash with shampoo. It seems more logical to use a very mild, very gentle shampoo without SLS.

Cationic polymers - polyquat 4, 7, 10, 44 and so on - can build up on hair over time. (Click here for the post on cationic polymers.) If you're using conditioner only to wash your hair, polyquats 7 and 10 will be harder to remove as they like to be removed by foamy surfactants, like those found in shampoo.

Cationic guar gum is also best removed by using foamy surfactants, like those found in shampoo. (Click here for a post on this topic.)

I don't get the lack of love for the silicones, especially when you consider a lot of the people I know who co-wash have really curly hair! They are great emollients that offer a reduction in friction when wet or dry combing (which means less damage to our hair), an increase in shine, a reduction in frizz, and a reduction in friction damage. There is this idea that they build up horribly on our hair, but if you wash your hair (or co-wash using something with cetrimonium chloride), they are removed easily! But to each their own...that's the point of making our own products!

She also provided a link to more info on centrimonium chloride:

Cetrimonium chloride - even more awesome than before!

Now, I know you don't need another reason to include cetrimonium chloride in your conditioners, but here it is...it can help remove silicone build up on your hair! Yep, our beloved detangling and softening agent can actually help if you've been using enough cyclomethicone and/or dimethicone in your conditioners or anti-frizz sprays to de-static an army!

You don't need much - using 2% in our products is more than enough - and now it works double duty! (I'm like Alton Brown that way - I like ingredients with more than one purpose!)

Thanks for this! I cowash and have not used silicone products since going natural, but I am reconsidering and did not want to back to using shampoos.

I attempted this method a couple of years ago, but my hair hates cetrimonium chloride. I think it's in the Suave Naturals conditioners. I also heard from swimmers on another forum that it could also remove chlorine.

Thanks for this! I cowash and have not used silicone products since going natural, but I am reconsidering and did not want to back to using shampoos.

I am going back to silicones in rinse out and deep conditioners next year. I am trying to read up and understand them all. Tired of limiting my options.

I attempted this method a couple of years ago, but my hair hates cetrimonium chloride. I think it's in the Suave Naturals conditioners. I also heard from swimmers on another forum that it could also remove chlorine.

Good to know about the chlorine!

What effects did you have?

At the time I was transitioning, and it dried out my relaxed ends horribly after only three uses. However, I used it it as a cowash. Maybe if I followed up with a more moisturizing condish, it would have worked out better. Now I'm too traumatized to try it on my natural hair lol

Why didn't I see this thread? Now that some lower end retail hair care lines are introducing cleansing conditioners, I see that they have centrimonium chloride in them. I had a vague idea before that this ingredient is a mild cleanser. Off to see what Terri Laflesh says in her ingredients dictionary.

I remember reading that it's best to use conditioners that contain cetrimonium chloride before straightening because they will increase the hair's tensile strength.

Back