Using amla heavy creme

mischka

shrinkage.
So I finally tried my new amla heavy creme... I used it as a moisturizer after shampooing my hair. I'm used to using conditioner as a leave in after a shampoo and I have to admit my hair didn't feel as good combing through while it was wet. Plus the creme seemed mostly to melt/drip out while I was combing it through. It didn't make my hair feel fabulous.

I did a braid out and this morning my hair is shining and the curls are definitely more defined - I could probably wear my hair out this way which I usually end up putting in a ponytail. But I'm not sure I'm getting the results I expected.

When I first got it it was too late/I was too tired to wash my hair so I slapped some on dry. It felt a little heavy/oily which is what I wanted and why I thought a heavy creme based product would be best but it seemed like it would result in more buildup/dirty hair and make washing more of a chore.

So I guess I'm wondering what is amla like in the long run? I think it has castor oil in it right so it should thicken my hair too? I guess I was expecting some kind of miracle product but I'm not really sure how to get the best bang for my buck out of it. I don't really know how I should be using it (note: I don't normally moisturize or use any products after shampoo day at all).

I haven't been using it for a really long time but so far I love this product. I use it on damp hair (after co-washing/DCing I apply my leave-in...but it's not always necessary... then use this as a sealer or as a moisturizer.) I also use it on dry hair (entire length and/or ends.) One thing I have learned is that a little goes a really long way. Too much will leave you greasy. It blew my mind because I got into the habit of applying moisture daily and with this you really don't have to. I haven't had build-up from this at all. Which is wild. I thought there would be.

Do you think that the heavy creme is too heavy for your hair? The burdock root butter cream is lighter and it moisturizes well when you need less.

Castor oil will only thicken the hair that hasnt exited the yet.

LIke the other poster stated Amla and Olive might be too heavy for you.

when I was natural (I'm 4ab) my hair loved it. I applied it right after washing and didnt have to do a darn thing until the next wash. It was surprising.

the AOHC is awesome on dry hair for me it just soaks right in and leave my hair with moisture for days. I reapply to my ends daily though

. Ive nvr tried it on wet hair though

This is my stuff! I use it everyday. I don't like it on soaking wet hair. But I wait until my hair is damp when I put it on. I put it on nightly when I twist my hair up for bed.

I just listed this (and other Qhemet) items in the Exchange forum. I really wanted to love the Alma and other Qhemet products but I can't get them to work in my hair. When visiting two natural hair product stores, both owners told me that some of the products may be too heavy for my hair.

don't use it on dripping wet hair. it is not a detangler, but a moisturizer and it is very heavy. a little goes a long way. you can use it to seal your ends as well.

It's too heavy for me to use on wet hair - especially because my hair does not do well with oils on wet hair. I use it on dry hair as a moisturizer at night or to fluff. Definitely prefer the BRBC.

Thanks for the replies. I think I do like this product, I'm just not using it right. I'm going to try it after I wash my hair like normal, when it's soft and clean (and fully dried), and only use a little. I definitely don't like applying it to wet hair, even though my hair turned out fine when it dried. It eliminated the frizz from a braidout. It's not weighing my hair down, I just expected a more buttery outcome :look::lol:

How does amla affect your hair in the long run? I guess I have fantasies of my hair being stronger and denser and with a softer manageability. I've been trying some new things but I'm going to go back to things that I know work for me (starting with baking soda clarifying. I miss it so much).

I'm a Relaxed (4 something) and I use it deep into my Stretch to keep my NG Soft and Moisturized.

During those other times tho', I'll use Burdock Root.

I bough this product 6 months ago when I was on the hunt for a heavy moisturizer for the winter. I hated it. It was greasy and heavy and overly hyped. Or so I thought.

I think the confusion with this product is because QB markets it as a "moisturizer", when in fact in contains NO water. For me, that means using it on dry hair will result in a greasy mess. But if I spritz my hair with water and seal with just a little bit of this stuff, the results are amazing. My oldest DD's hair is constantly dry, but since I started using Aphogee's leave in sealed with this, her hair literally stays soft and moisturized for days.

What do you guys mean by little? I would swipe the flat of my finger across the surface and use that on a section. You guys think less than that?

mischka

How big are your sections?
You may be using too much still.

I use AOHC after coloring, when my hair is driest.
I apply to freshly poo'd, damp hair
using three 'scoops' all over my head.
(using my bent index finger to scoop)
**not a heaping amount**
If I put it on each section as if to twist/coil
at night, it would be too much indeed.

This usually suffices until the next poo.
Occasionally I may have to add another
scoop or 2.

Other than that,
I use the BRBC because it's lighter
and is sufficient for my hair
(I am 3c/4a-ish).

Sounds like you may be using a bit too much.

What do you guys mean by little? I would swipe the flat of my finger across the surface and use that on a section. You guys think less than that?

If I'm braided under my wigs (90% of the time), I use an amount equal to about the size of my index fingernail for my entire head. If my hair is loose, I may use 2-3x that amount.

HTH

That is such a heavy creme. I only use it to twist with on damp hair. It'll slide right off using it on wet hair. I use just enough to "feel it", but using too much = gummy, weighed down hair.

Back