Upset with Begoun

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date
G

I was in the bookstore thumbing through Paula Begoun Book "Don't Go Shopping for Haircare Products Without Me".

She has'nt used all the products and is basing her "opinion" on ingredients.

There are alot of products tht I use that are good and work for me, yet she said they were lousy. She said that she "doubts Aubrey is disclosing all thier ingredients" How can she make that statement, without an anaylis?

Granted, I just flipped through the product section, has anybody read the whole thing? If so what did you think?

Lastly she appeared to not have knowledge of BLACK folks hair, stating hair is hair, that is not true, my hair does not look like Vanna White's....

I have it and I like it. I think it is informative. She bases her opinions off of the formulation of ingredients- this product mixed with that won't produce the results the company promises- and I think it is fascinating. She is a product critic. Plain and simple. She uses her professional knowledge to rate products. The same way you may enjoy a movie that gets a bad review, she may have given your favorite product a bad review and you don't agree with it. Just like movie reviews you should take it with a grain of salt. I think it is just interesting to see what products are really made of. For instance I was intrigued to find out that Wanakee's thirty dollar magic oil didn't even contain any oil in it. Whether it works or not that was just nice to find out.

well...actually hair is hair. It is the different characteristics (curl type, thickness, etc.) of your hair that make it look different from Vanna White's hair. Those different characteristics also determine how much or how hard you have to work to take care of your hair. But I do agree that what are bad products for some people are good products for others. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Lastly she appeared to not have knowledge of BLACK folks hair, stating hair is hair, that is not true, my hair does not look like Vanna White's....

[/ QUOTE ]

Hair is hair to me. I have type 4a hair and my natural hair looks NOTHING like Bright Eyes'. What I think she meant was no one, regardless of hair type, should be confined to using a specific type of product. In other words I shouldn't HAVE to use Afro Sheen and Always grease just because I have textured hair. Conversely if a white woman wants to use Dax grease or curl activator she should be allowed to.

it is good that she is looking at the products from an ingredient list point of view. that is what we all do for most products we have never used before right??

on the other hand if she were to base her book on HER experiences she might be bashed for either pushing or criticizing particular products based on HER experiences alone with the products on her hair alone. and we all know that what works for one does not work for another..

the book is probably aimed at making consumers more informed than we already are. How many women know what SLS, propylene glycol etc... is and yet use it on a daily basis, especially if you dont even know about hair care boards like this.

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER

It depends on which way you look at it. I have only read reviews on her book but it already looks like a /images/graemlins/up.gif to me! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ah, yes but Characteristics are what make us different, so then, truthfully that statement is false.

It's hair, but it's not the same.

That's true pandora. LIke I said I skim read it and of course I was looking for the products I used... /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

And now, a white woman would have no benefit at all from using Dax. Come on now.. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I agree Mindymouse,

The thing that bothered me was the fact that Cathy Howse used Begoun's information to discredit the Wanakee products but...Cathy didn't really tell all of what Ms. Begoun stated because she said that the products seem to work well for African Americans, but Cathy Howse didn't state that! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

That bothered me too which is why I have a problem with Cathy Howse.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
And now, that white woman would have no benefit at all from using Dax. Come on now..

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually white people do use products like Dax to add a little shine and smoothness to finish off their hair styles.

I've read repeatedly over the years about white stylists using Dax et. al. on their WHITE celebrity client heads.

BTW, I've read most of Paula Begoun's book (checked out from library a while back) and it IS a good reference guide. The information about product ingredients is very informative.

I must agree that the section on Black hair is very poorly written though. But, I would buy the book just to use as a reference.

I think that any hair care book with an African American hair care CHAPTER is not going to be good. Our hair is the most complex type and it really needs a whole book to itself. That's why I don't knock her chapter. It was the most she could squeeze into a single chapter.

no, what i meant when i said that hair is "technically" the same is that hair, regardless of if its white hair, black hair, etc. is made of protein. That is what makes it the same.

waving.gif

<font color="blue"> I AM SO ESTATIC THAT I LEARNED HOW TO DO PICTURES.. YALL FORGIVE ME IF I GO BERSERK FOR A WHILE. K </font>

Back