Unrefined Shea Butter Makes My Hair Sticky...

KizzieNapps

Am I doing something wrong:perplexed??? I would like to apply it as a leave-in. I've seen other ladies who use shea butter on wet hair. Would whipping it work better?? I use cantu-shea butter on my hair now as a leave-in and would like to move toward something more natural but haven't been able to find anything that works yet. Someone help please

bumping for ya! I didn't like unrefinded shea butter when I used it on my hair it was too greasy for me. I tired it once and never looked back, however I do love SheaMoisture Shea Butter Leave In (you should try it) and will never stop using it. I like products with shea butter in them but not just plain shea butter... maybe I'll learn how to really use it from the ladies...

bumping for ya! I didn't like unrefinded shea butter when I used it on my hair it was too greasy for me. I tired it once and never looked back, however I do love SheaMoisture Shea Butter Leave In (you should try it) and will never stop using it. I like products with shea butter in them but not just plain shea butter... maybe I'll learn how to really use it from the ladies...

Yea, I'm hoping someone has a recipe to lighten it up. It seems to be fine on my hair once its dry but I dont put any products on my dry hair unless its in a twist-out. I'm hoping some of our LHCF experts will chime in and help me out.

Do you
use it by self?
If so maybe you
should try
whipping it
and adding a little bit
of glycerin
and coconut oil...

ITA, incorporate a smidgen of your sticky products into the other ingredients. I did that this morning with avocado, honey (1 tbsp), oils, butters and water, etc. and it has to be mixed well for a creamy consistency.

I add shea butter to my conditioner and it makes for a wonderful addition to it. However, when I use it to seal, I gently melt the entire container, add cocoa butter, coconut and babassu oils (the latter two of which are solid oils during the winter and liquid in the summer) plus camellia, sweet almond and grapeseed oils. I do this in varying amounts so that I can add one to a jar for a softened-solid concoction that I use to seal and to slather on my whole body and a purely liquid one that I pour in a bottle and use as a pre-poo or to seal my hair with after I apply my leave-in.

Do you
use it by self?
If so maybe you
should try
whipping it
and adding a little bit
of glycerin
and coconut oil...

The glycerin is a good idea...I was thinking adding other oils would weigh it down more though???

demecamp said:
ITA, incorporate a smidgen of your sticky products into the other ingredients. I did that this morning with avocado, honey (1 tbsp), oils, butters and water, etc. and it has to be mixed well for a creamy consistency.

Great IDEA!!!!! I will try this definitely!!

adw425 said:
I add shea butter to my conditioner and it makes for a wonderful addition to it. However, when I use it to seal, I gently melt the entire container, add cocoa butter, coconut and babassu oils (the latter two of which are solid oils during the winter and liquid in the summer) plus camellia, sweet almond and grapeseed oils. I do this in varying amounts so that I can add one to a jar for a softened-solid concoction that I use to seal and to slather on my whole body and a purely liquid one that I pour in a bottle and use as a pre-poo or to seal my hair with after I apply my leave-in.

Ok, seriously, you're a genius. I will definitely try this

Back