Underprocess vs. Texturize

MissMarie23

Hi
wave.gif

This might be a silly question, but I'm going to ask it anyway.

What is the difference between applying a texturizer and underprocessing?

Texturizing, as I understand it is applying relaxer to your hair, for the purpose of increasing manageability, but leaving the basic curl pattern.

Can anyone help me understand the difference?

Thanks,

Last edited:
I don't know. I underprocess my hair. I personally think that texturizers are at a weaker strength than a relaxer.

I think it's just a question of semantics and goals, because the chemicals are the same. The timing affects the end result.

If you want bone straight hair, anything less than that would be underprocessed - meaning you didn't get the desired result. But if you don't want bone straight hair, your timing would be shorter anyway and your hair would look less processed as opposed to underprocessed.

I think the conventional use of relaxers in salons and in our community is to remove all of curl/kink from the hair before styling(leave it in as long as possible). Someone made a really good post about the purpose of relaxers becoming misconstrued over time.

To me texturizing is using chemicals to reduce the bulkiness of the hair and relax some of the natural curl pattern to increase manageability and styling options like you said. Some people leave more curl or wave in their hair when relaxing depending on their primary styling choice. It also helps to to preserve more of the elasticity and strength of the hair. The straightening is actually achieved through the styling tools and products : roller sets, flat irons, blowdryers, creams, serums, etc.

I hope that made sense.

I agree with myco. It just depends on what you want. I consider my hair texturized because it still has a lot of curl in it and that's what I want to maintain in my touchups. My hair has a lot more elasticity and dosn't break as easily. It's stronger. Another person may consider my hair underprocessed and go over it again to get it bone straight. That's not my personal preference.

It doesn't matter, my hair reverts from perms. so I don't know what a texturizer would do. I mean how would that help me in any way? I mean what is a texturizer?

[ QUOTE ]
myco said:
I think it's just a question of semantics and goals, because the chemicals are the same. The timing affects the end result.

If you want bone straight hair, anything less than that would be underprocessed - meaning you didn't get the desired result. But if you don't want bone straight hair, your timing would be shorter anyway and your hair would look less processed as opposed to underprocessed.

I think the conventional use of relaxers in salons and in our community is to remove all of curl/kink from the hair before styling(leave it in as long as possible). Someone made a really good post about the purpose of relaxers becoming misconstrued over time.

To me texturizing is using chemicals to reduce the bulkiness of the hair and relax some of the natural curl pattern to increase manageability and styling options like you said. Some people leave more curl or wave in their hair when relaxing depending on their primary styling choice. It also helps to to preserve more of the elasticity and strength of the hair. The straightening is actually achieved through the styling tools and products : roller sets, flat irons, blowdryers, creams, serums, etc.

I hope that made sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good explanation. I also believe that the last step between texturized and relaxed straight is the key to underprocessing. If you go all the way and the hairdresser uses a fine toothed comb to flatten and straighten the newgrowth, and after the smoothing process you suddenly have to wash out the relaxer and your hair has not completely taken the molded shape, then yes your are underprocessed.

However, if you just put a relaxer in to loosen your curl and that is your intent, then no you are not underprocessed. Now if you wanted a certain degree of curl as a texturized head, and you wash out before that curl was acheived then I believe you are underprocessed as a texturized head.

I think it's a state of mind, if you are aiming for one ideal and you don't get it even though you've applied the process in order to get your hair to that state you're probably underprocessed. If you've acheived the look you are looking for, then I believe you did it right.

A texturizer is just a relaxer in mild form that is left on the hair for a short period of time, probably with no smoothing at all. It is not meant to get the hair bone straight, but to loosen or create uniform curls, reduce frizz, and cut down on bulkiness. If you want to wear the hair straight, that requires additional straightening with tools and products. If you go to http://www.curve-salon.com/beforeafter9.htm, you can see pictures of people who have had their curls texturized to different degrees. They call their actual process a "silkener", but the principle is the same.

[ QUOTE ]
skegeesmb said:

However, if you just put a relaxer in to loosen your curl and that is your intent, then no you are not underprocessed. Now if you wanted a certain degree of curl as a texturized head, and you wash out before that curl was acheived then I believe you are underprocessed as a texturized head.

I think it's a state of mind, if you are aiming for one ideal and you don't get it even though you've applied the process in order to get your hair to that state you're probably underprocessed. If you've acheived the look you are looking for, then I believe you did it right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point.

so ladies which one do you prefer?

I think I am goin to start underprocessing my hair, because I am having the thought that if I underprocess it, it will not be as weak compared to bone straightening the hair

I have a texturizer. I don't want bone straight hair. I don't have to retouch frequently, and since I had natural hair for almost two years, I know that going 6 months without a relaxer won't kill me, and my hair can look just as good.

[ QUOTE ]
skegeesmb said:
I have a texturizer. I don't want bone straight hair. I don't have to retouch frequently

[/ QUOTE ]
Same here.

I try to do my whole head in 20 minutes or less. I also smooth with my fingers instead of using a comb. The hard part is getting consistent results in all parts of your head each time you relax. In that sense, bone straight is easier, but over time you pay for it. I've read several articles that say longer hair needs less processing time for the sake of density (no see through ends) and strength because the ends are so much older than the rest of the hair. But if you go with less processing time, you have to make sure that it's long enough that you can manage the results. If not, you'll just end up breaking your strands trying to style it.

[ QUOTE ]
AnjelLuvsUBabe said:
is there a specfic perm for texturizing if so whatdo u use?

[/ QUOTE ]
My hair stylist uses a regular relaxer (mild or regular). She just doesn't leave it in my hair long enough to make it bone straight.

I use a regular relaxer (Creme of Nature) and I leave it on for 10 minutes. I watch the curls drop and then I wash and neutralize for 5 minutes. I do this for each section (I section off in 4 sections), so it takes longer for me, then it would for someone going to a stylist.

Thank you all for your responses
smile.gif

I think the thing that was confusing me was the term 'underprocessed.' It has a negative kind of connotation, to me.

I currently straighten my hair completly, but I am planning on switching to a milder formula.

Thanks again
smile.gif

Back