Ultra Black Hair (UBH) - Site Update

Missi

Currently looking at it now: but for all you ladies: www.UBHpublications.com is updated by Cathy Howse: so far it looks interesting.

-Looking under "Cathy's Hair Tips": i can see the newly posted questions about Keracare. LOL

Last edited:
her site was like the turning point for me to start looking into hair care. I stumbled upon it by accident

I was looking forward to see how her natural hair would look. It looks alot thinner flat ironed than her relaxed hair did.

Her hair seem to grow really fast.

I am surprised that she claims natural hair is healthier than relaxed hair, yet her relaxed hair looks so much more healthier than her current natural look - which looks way too thin and extra dry.

Last edited:
I guess I can stop dreaming of having WL hair one day :wallbash:

13. Your hair is quite lengthy now, but after 11 years? With 6 inches of growth per year, your hair should be long enough to sit (or step) on!!! Between 1989 and 1994 your hair appears to have grown an inch (just an estimation from the pictures I saw)....?

Your observation is incorrect. My hair grows a little over 5" per year. The reason it is not "long enough for me to sit on" is the fact that all hair has a natural life cycle. Once your hair reaches that, it falls out at the roots and starts over. This process is ongoing and happens all over the head in different places, at different times. This is the technical information that I did not want include in my book because if someone wants to know the technical stuff, there are many books out there that address that. To further illustrate this point, the hair on your legs also has a natural life cycle and if you never shaved your legs, that hair would NOT grow long enough to braid! Get my point? My hair will probably stay this length for the rest of my life, but the point I am trying to make is that I have maintained my hair length for over this time period!

This next response seems a little mean and self-serving:

If you are asking for my advice you will IGNORE the OTHER internet sites because if they were able to help you, there would be no need for my research or book and you should be sending them an email to them instead of me if their advice was of any real benefit.

Is her site the ONLY site that has useful information on the entire internet?:ohwell::perplexed Also, there are NO conditioners (except hers of course) that are worth using for black hair. I can't read any more of that Q&A section. It's just a way for her to push the book and products more rather than give useful info it seems.

13. Your hair is quite lengthy now, but after 11 years? With 6 inches of growth per year, your hair should be long enough to sit (or step) on!!! Between 1989 and 1994 your hair appears to have grown an inch (just an estimation from the pictures I saw)....?

Your observation is incorrect. My hair grows a little over 5" per year. The reason it is not "long enough for me to sit on" is the fact that all hair has a natural life cycle. Once your hair reaches that, it falls out at the roots and starts over. This process is ongoing and happens all over the head in different places, at different times. This is the technical information that I did not want include in my book because if someone wants to know the technical stuff, there are many books out there that address that. To further illustrate this point, the hair on your legs also has a natural life cycle and if you never shaved your legs, that hair would NOT grow long enough to braid! Get my point? My hair will probably stay this length for the rest of my life, but the point I am trying to make is that I have maintained my hair length for over this time period!

Hmmmm, I highlighted those areas because ladies often make posts about not being able to pass a certain point in growth or they can't get pass NL or SL. By what Cathy says, we have a natural life cycle. So it must be truth to it (not because Cathy said so), some people will never get their desired length.

I guess I can stop dreaming of having WL hair one day :wallbash:

This next response seems a little mean and self-serving:

Is her site the ONLY site that has useful information on the entire internet?:ohwell::perplexed Also, there are NO conditioners (except hers of course) that are worth using for black hair. I can't read any more of that Q&A section. It's just a way for her to push the book and products more rather than give useful info it seems.

I do think she is a little pissed that all folx are not turning to her for info. I had her book before I turned to LHCF and I was stuck at SL. Sometimes interacting with others makes all the difference in the world.

Her website is contradicting. She answers that her hair is relaxed. I thought she went all natural. Guess cathy couldn't hang... look in the hair tips section, question #17. She must not be natural any longer.

I was just looking at it the other day. It seems she got rid of the customers before and after section.

I wonder if the reason for her hair looking thinner is the reason she decided to transition.

I know that relaxer she recommended. (Affirm) was like kryptonite on my scalp. Yikes! :lachen: I also read somewhere that some women have experienced permanent balding from it.

It is about time she updated and it is lookin' good.

I got this from BHM, this girl met Cathy and took a pic with her recently. Does this not look like the same women or is it just me. I noticed this when I was looking at her progress pics on her site too. Cathy is on the right.

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/uploads/20080316_102408_Cathy.jpg

20080316_102408_Cathy.jpg

in all of her pics she is doing the infamous tilt poses to make her hair look longe:look: u guys are right tho her natural hair does look thinner and dryer esp towards the ends.

Umm, Cathy has the (ind-gin look this time) :grin:! jk :lachen:For real though, I have to agree that all up and through her last site she stated numerous times she relaxed and I never ran across her saying she trans'd! But looking at the update it said her last touch up was May 2004. I think with the update, she wants her freshly 21 century flat ironed hair to sell her book and products and not the products and testimonies...

Deja9 I'm guessing we have to not assume these questions were submited after May 2004...unless she's admitting these ?'s are after May 2004 trans. I think it's kind of ironic that Cathy would have 1990 and 2005 testimonies but not 2007...unless ya'll submitted one.

She needs to put her creme moisturizer in a big screwed top jar...so I can scoop that stuff out...I had to always bang it down and sit my bottle upside down in order to get it out after I've used so much of it.

in all of her pics she is doing the infamous tilt poses to make her hair look longe:look: u guys are right tho her natural hair does look thinner and dryer esp towards the ends.

Ahh look at the baby!!! My lil girl is 3 an she does not let me touch her over grown self. :spinning:

I think Cathy Howse provided good information on relaxers, protein treatments, regimen for healthy hair...you take what you need from her website, for healthy hair and leave the rest...What about Stephanie Suthers, she is 54 yrs with natural hair at thigh length...She has a website www.donvant.com and www.hairobicsallnatural.com check her out Folks!!!

Last edited:
Even though Cathy's website has gotten a complete makeover, all of the information is just about the same. It does not appear that she has updated all of the questions asked by her customers. This is the reason I believe the answers she gives is based on her relaxed hair.

Her testimonies are from 2005 and before.
She still needs to update the sight to include information on her natural hair...that is if it is still natural :)

My favorite products are the Dew Spray and the Deep Conditioner.

I think Cathy Howse provided good information on relaxers, protein treatments, regimen for healthy hair...you take what you need from her website, for healthy hair and leave the rest...What about Stephanie Suthers, she is 54 yrs with natural hair at thigh length...She has a website www.donvant.com and www.hairobicsallnatural.com check her out Folks!!!

I agree,even though I did not like the the relaxer recommendation. I started out with her system learned a lot. I think Cathy Howse and her research made a great contribution to black hair care.

Last edited:
She look good in the pic on here and her hair looks really healthy. Thanks to Cathy, my hair made a complete turnaround! I never used her products, but I sure took her advice.

I found her site by accident too and took her 365 day challenge and it worked wonders for my hair. Her site was one of the first black hair care sites I found and it changed the way I viewed my hair. It's good she decided to update her site.

I also think she needs to update with more current Q & A.
Many of those questions are the same ones that were there before the update.

She still has info that says youshould never comb hair when it is wet. That might be true for relaxed heads but transitioning and natural people more often feel that you should ONLY comb hair when it is wet.

That's a problem.
Also I would really appreciate a photo of her wet hair. If she is a 3b or even a 3C. She can be of little use to me because my type 4 hair is a horse of a different color.

Her website looks much better now. That old 1988 looking thing was quite a bad layout. When I first found her site, it was like a goldmine to me..she really propelled me to start taking care of my hair.

She should mention more about her natural hair though, and for tackiness sake, she should bash others a bit less. You can make your own point without feeling the need to talk down on others philosophies.

I still love her though, and her ultra glam photoshoot:lachen:

Back