Trimming

DSTcutie

Hi Ladies,

I'm new to the forum, but have been reading posts from other ladies the past couple of days.

I consistently come across people that are not trying to or will not trim their hair.

I know everyone is trying to grow their hair to monumental lengths, but isn't it healthier for the hair to be trimmed every 6-8 weeks, or is this just a myth I hear from all hair dressers?

Also, for all the ladies with some damage due to chemicals (i.e. relaxers), do you still trim your hair or just continue to let it grow out?

Thanks for all the responses.
wink.gif

DST, I get my hair dusted every 4-6 months. If you can find someone to give you a true dusting, they will take off much less hair than a trim. The trick is to get a dusting when you have healthy hair.

My hair was very damaged at one point: someone over relaxed it and the next person was just not skilled at combing wet hair or blowdrying. I cut all of my hair off and started from stcratch.

I have one person who I let apply my relaxers and colourshines, but I go to a white girl and a cheapy salon (Holiday Hair), which is a chain store and she gives me a dusting.

As a note, damaged hair cannot be repaired. Think of your fingernails...once your nails crack or splinter you can do little things to hold onto the nail until it grows out or you can cut them all off and start fresh. I recommend that you definitely continue to get trims. If you do not, you rish having damaged hair, which splits easier, work up the hair shaft.

to me it depends on how damaged your ends are , If your ends are healthy and you have very little splitting if any, then it doesnt make sense to me to get your ends trimmed unless you want to maintain that current length. But if you are trying to grow your hair long, It will take forever IMO. If your hair grows .5 inches per month and you get .5 inches off every two months, then you may only see three inches of length accumulated in a years time, and even less if you stylist takes off more.

I definitely agree that if you're using heat styling often then it's probably best to trim your ends every 6-8 weeks. I know when I used heat styling even only once a week, I needed my ends trimmed every 8 weeks (or every 2 months) when I got my touchup.

On the other hand, if you're not usign heat styling and are taking extra special care of your hair AND do not have any damaged ends then it isn't necessary to trim that often. Maybe every 4 to 6 months.

However, if you have damaged/thin ends, it seems easier to get rid of those before spacing out your trims for so long. A few members (including myself) have done this in the past few months. If you don't want to do it all at once, getting them every 6-8 weeks till you get the health you want is probably still a good idea (I've done this way, too.)

Good luck and I hope this explains things a bit!

I only trim to neaten my ends and even then it's just a dusting. Unless there is a lot of damage, then I wait as long as possible to cut it once I am relatively sure what caused the damage and have corrected it. The longest I grew my hair was to past my bra strap when someone over processed my hair. And I was air drying and flat ironing it and I trimmed only every four months.

Trimming hair does not help it grow, it just neatens your hair appearance. (Look at Susan Howe) I have several friends one who roller sets and her hair is past her waist and she brags that she hasn't trimmed or cut her hair in four years and I won't even talk about my Asian friends who have butt length hair and never trim it.

Hi.
wave.gif

It depends on the person and their ends. With me, I definitely do not like to go past 4 months, or else I'll end up back at square one.
frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ayeshia said:
to me it depends on how damaged your ends are , If your ends are healthy and you have very little splitting if any, then it doesnt make sense to me to get your ends trimmed unless you want to maintain that current length. But if you are trying to grow your hair long, It will take forever IMO. If your hair grows .5 inches per month and you get .5 inches off every two months, then you may only see three inches of length accumulated in a years time, and even less if you stylist takes off more.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, why trim your ends when nothing is wrong with them?

I second that, Ayeshia and Poohbear. I only trim as needed and my ends are healthy and my hair overall is doing quite well. I haven't trimmed since Nov and I haven't lost any length.

Back