Tried to do my own relaxer and failed!

GinnyP

Ok, I am about 9weeks post had a hair appointment last week but had to cancel due to I had to work for someone else, so I called my hair stylist three times to make sure she got my message I pleaded with her to call back so I may get my hair relaxed on Thursday, never heard from her, so I stopped trying and begging I am so tired of these crazy people!!!

Oh well, Saturaday I was trying to get up enough nerves to do my own I kept checking the boards still down, so I did it I tried the Vitale no-lye the one you have to activate yourself by mixing the other stuff together. I sat my timer(for 15mins) and applyed it, so far so good I was scared to death and praying please God don't let my hair fall out, before I put it on I applied some hair grease I think I put too much on.

I used my fingers with a tight fitted glove to apply the relaxer trying not to overlap trying only to put it on my new growth which was hard(I think I was just scared) I had too much grease that overlapped on the new growth instead of my scalp. I checked the board one more time before rinsing it out I was trying to remember everything one of members I think it was Sylvan had said about relaxers. Lord behold I did a search on how to self relax she was on that site explaining how to self relax so were others from our board, oh well I waited 15 minutes and rinsed it, make a long story short my hair did not relax straight or even came close to relaxing.

My question is how long do I wait until I get another relaxer?( tried to relax it this past Sat(3/26) I am 10weeks post this week. I have a short spot in the crown area it is itching like crazy today I just washed it and conditioning it with Kerphix could not find my emergecee my hair was looking thin I panic.

How long do I wait before I reapply another relaxer(getting a professional to do it this time). Also any help with trying to get that short spot to grow, I think it has broken off again. Thanks for all your help

Years ago, that happened to me. It was my first and last attempt at self relaxing :lol: . Anyways, I called my stylist and she said it was fine to redo it in 2 weeks. I did it, and my hair was gorgeous, no breaking, damage, over processing whatsoever, so you should be fine at two weeks.

I'm so glad that this first attempt at relaxing didn't end more tragically.... as mine did. :perplexed I tried to self-relax about six years back. I don't know what the heck I was thinking. I think, similar to yourself, I was having a hard time getting in touch with my stylist. That, coupled w/being cheap, prompted me to try to relax on my own. *smh*

I ended up burning the kitchen area as well as the front left of my hair. Fortunately the damage wasn't permanent, and the hair has since grown back in. But I sho' nuff never tried that again. I leave it to the professionals.:lol:

I won't dare to offer any advice about when to attempt relaxing again.... but good luck to you, girl, and make sure to let us know how it turns out!:)

MissBermuda said:
Years ago, that happened to me. It was my first and last attempt at self relaxing :lol: . Anyways, I called my stylist and she said it was fine to redo it in 2 weeks. I did it, and my hair was gorgeous, no breaking, damage, over processing whatsoever, so you should be fine at two weeks.
Thanks Miss Bermuda, I am leaving it to the professionals if I can find one(lol) Thanks again, two weeks I can wait

KiniKakes said:
I'm so glad that this first attempt at relaxing didn't end more tragically.... as mine did. :perplexed I tried to self-relax about six years back. I don't know what the heck I was thinking. I think, similar to yourself, I was having a hard time getting in touch with my stylist. That, coupled w/being cheap, prompted me to try to relax on my own. *smh*

I ended up burning the kitchen area as well as the front left of my hair. Fortunately the damage wasn't permanent, and the hair has since grown back in. But I sho' nuff never tried that again. I leave it to the professionals.:lol:

I won't dare to offer any advice about when to attempt relaxing again.... but good luck to you, girl, and make sure to let us know how it turns out!:)
Gosh! look at your hair now it's beautiful. I am trying to find another stylist as I type thanks, I give credit for the prayer I said before trying it(LOL)

jancan7 said:
Gosh! look at your hair now it's beautiful. I am trying to find another stylist as I type thanks, I give credit for the prayer I said before trying it(LOL)

Girl, prayer WORKS!!!!!:lachen:

Back