Tried out Mesh rollers yesterday.

skegeesmb

Well girls,

I got some end papers, and I went to my local BSS store and got the biggest mesh rollers I could find. I have blue, purple, pink, and white mesh rollers (in the order of smallest to largest).

I washed my hair as usual, and then I went to rollerset. I still have a problem using end papers, but everything turned out okay despite that.

I sat under the dryer for 45-50 minutes. I sat under the dryer for 45 minutes and went to do a test check on the rollers. Most of my hair was dry except for a spot or two. I then sat under the dryer for 5 more minutes. My hair was dry!

I did have a bouffant look because I used majority pink and white rollers, but over all I had a good experience. I will definately do this again. So here are my pros and cons.

Pros:
~For the most part very easy to use.

~Hair is more taught when you roll up to the scalp.

~Fast drying time.

~For the most part I could comb easily through my hair with out too much trouble.

~When I did my blowout it was much easier to get my roots straight because of the taught rolling I did. :D :D :D

Cons:
~I couldn't find any bigger sizes than my white ones. This can be remedied if I can find some super large rollers.

~My hair was a bit dry throughout because I didn't use a moisturizer or my wildgrowth hair oil. This can also be fixed if you use a creamy leave in, or any humectant that holds in moisture. You can also use WGO (which I didn't use this time).

~If you don't know how to use end papers, you will have a mesh dent. You can fix this by doing a blowout, or flatironing to get a smooth look.

I am in the process of making an album with my results. So you can see the results.

Thanks for the review. I see them a lot in the store and have always wondered about them. Can't wait to see the pics.

Good job skegees :) What do these mesh rollers look like? I must be living in a bubble :look:

I saw that other thread, but the link to the article was not active... I'm willing to give these a try. Magnetic rollers do not work out for me.

It's going to be in my rollerset album. I've revamped my album by natural and texturized. It makes it easier to navigate around the page.

In my rollersetting album, I have an album of my rollerset natural hair, and an album of my texturized rollerset hair.

someone else suggested wrapping the end papers around your rollers instead of the traditional way.you should try that next time.

BrEE said:
someone else suggested wrapping the end papers around your rollers instead of the traditional way.you should try that next time.

That's what I ended up doing. So the mesh dent wasn't super noticeable.

It looks great Skegees!!! :) And your hair is soooo long, girl!!! :up: I'm so jealous of those hair sides!!! :wallbash: Oh, well, my day will come... :grin:

Skegeesmb
I had already wondered about the need for endpapers. I think I have now understood the problem looking at your nice pictures. The rollers you use are much less uneven than the one we have in France. I never required to get any end paper and the end of my hair never showed any unlikely mark. To clarify I have uploaded in a new Fotki album called Mesh rollers some pictures of the rollers I own.
Here is the address http://public.fotki.com/albane/

There are much smaller sizes, but the blue one are the bigger ones. I also added 2 pictures of the backside of a full set of friends in order to show how you can arrange the rollers.

As for the size, we had some discussions together about, as unfortunately I never found size bigger than the blue 2 inches in the mesh type. How big are your white ones ? To get bigger ones, I was doing the opposite movement of yours ie I was willing to use the huge 3 inches mag ....But that your set looked perfect, congratulations and I personnaly love the bouffant style. I sometimes use smaller rollers on the crown to get it - the problem is that drying becomes very very long in that case.

thanks for the input and for the pictures which are very nice (such explanations should be encouraged)

skegeesmb said:
Well girls,

~My hair was a bit dry throughout because I didn't use a moisturizer or my wildgrowth hair oil. This can also be fixed if you use a creamy leave in, or any humectant that holds in moisture. You can also use WGO (which I didn't use this time).

I'm happy for your roller success. I've just returned to rollersetting over air drying. My hair turns out smoother with less friction breakage (my newly invented term). For the dryness, you may want to try sacrificing the fast drying time to use a lower heat setting. I usually start out on high and then finish drying on low. It takes longer, but my hair is less dry. Just a suggestion. Happy hair styling!

Last edited:
albane said:
Skegeesmb
I had already wondered about the need for endpapers. I think I have now understood the problem looking at your nice pictures. The rollers you use are much less uneven than the one we have in France. I never required to get any end paper and the end of my hair never showed any unlikely mark. To clarify I have uploaded in a new Fotki album called Mesh rollers some pictures of the rollers I own.
Here is the address http://public.fotki.com/albane/

There are much smaller sizes, but the blue one are the bigger ones. I also added 2 pictures of the backside of a full set of friends in order to show how you can arrange the rollers.

As for the size, we had some discussions together about, as unfortunately I never found size bigger than the blue 2 inches in the mesh type. How big are your white ones ? To get bigger ones, I was doing the opposite movement of yours ie I was willing to use the huge 3 inches mag ....But that your set looked perfect, congratulations and I personnaly love the bouffant style. I sometimes use smaller rollers on the crown to get it - the problem is that drying becomes very very long in that case.

thanks for the input and for the pictures which are very nice (such explanations should be encouraged)

Albane,

Those are VERY good looking rollers. I need those. The length of my rollers are nowhere near that long. Your set came out very nice.

It came out great, skegee :up:! I can't believe your hair was dry in 50 minutes--may I ask how long you usually sit under your dryer with magnetics? TIA.

dreemssold said:
It came out great, skegee :up:! I can't believe your hair was dry in 50 minutes--may I ask how long you usually sit under your dryer with magnetics? TIA.

Oh goodness dreemssold, under the hard hat with the magnetic rollers it takes at least an hour and a half to get dry. The mesh rollers cut that time down A LOT. When I try the set this Friday/Saturday, I'm going to slather moisturizer on my ends so they don't come out as dry, and stay under medium for a little longer.

beautiful results! I'm now curious about using the mesh rollers. Do you think that the pins used to hold the roller are damaging and what exactly do the pins look like (ei are they shaped like a hook?)

I couldn't use the pins. To get a good example of what the pins look like, take a look at Albane's album. I have the pins, but I couldn't keep them in. I'm going to try to study Albane's pictures to get a better idea of how to use them. I just used the very long bobby pins, and they held my hair just fine. You can try the bobby pins out first.

I know I mentioned this before but it is way easier for me to rollerset with mesh rollers than magnetic ones. The drying time is a plus too. I even roll too tight some time. I have a problem with the end papers....can't use 'em for my life! and for some reason I can't use the large ones in my hair...the white ones. The largest I can use is the purple ones.

Thanks for sharing your pix!

You rollerset looks great! You rolled your hair yourself? I can't roll my wet hair if my life depended on it! Hmmm...I'm jealous. Beautiful hair and length too!

GORGEOUS, you did a great job. I've always felt that if I used the mesh rollers my hair would be stuck to them because of that material or maybe that's the velcro rollers.

skegeesmb said:
Oh goodness dreemssold, under the hard hat with the magnetic rollers it takes at least an hour and a half to get dry. The mesh rollers cut that time down A LOT. When I try the set this Friday/Saturday, I'm going to slather moisturizer on my ends so they don't come out as dry, and stay under medium for a little longer.

Wow...that is really tempting. I wonder if I could take some to the salon :scratchch...

Thanks, skegee, and again, it came out really pretty :up:!

Back