Transitioning Tips!!!!!

Netta1

Here are a couple of tips for those of you in transition or thinking about transitioning out of the relaxers/texturizers.

1. Get your mind ready for the transition.

-I say this because you will hear negative comments like....oh girl you need a touch up....oh girl you don't have good hair....oh girl you must be wanna those pro black folks......are you locing your hair...blah..blah....)

2. Know and love Thy naps!

-I say this because you must get used to seeing your naps for what they are beautiful naps!!!! They are not meant to do what straight hair does like.....Lay down flat....unfrizz......shine...exc. Nappy hair is usually frizzy, big and beautiful, sheeny, dense, cottony....and YES nappy. YOU MIGHT NOT HAVE THE CURLS YOU WANT. Learn to accept whatever types of naps you MIGHT have EARLY. So that when you do become 100% natural you don't spend a fortune trying to get your naps to do something they can't do!

3. Get rid of the Harsh Shampoos

-Invest in shampoos without SLS you might even wanna try conditioner washes instead of shampoo.

4. Get a Really good conditioner

-Like Lekair, suave exc.

5. Get a WIDE tooth comb and/or a Denman Brush.

-trust me these things will come in handy :0)

6. Don't overlook water

-Water is the best moisture you can give your naps! You relaxed hair wont like it though. BE CAREFUL WHEN WORKING WITH YOUR TWO DIFFERENT TEXTURES.

7. Be careful with heat!

Many folks press there hair during the transitioning process, be careful because you do not want to damage your new naps.

8. Get styles that will work with your textures or keep you from "handling" the two types of textures on the daily.

-Like braids, braidouts, twist ( with the relaxed ends curled with rollers), cornrolls, exc.

*Some products that worked for me while I was transitioning where: Allways oil leave-in conditioner, CAROLS DAUGHTER PRODUCTS! Suave Conditioner washes, the Denman brush (D3).

I also did weaves, braids, cornrolls w and w/o extentions.

BLESSINGS!!!

Great tips.....really gotta follow that pressing the roots tips....I find myself doing that more than I need to. Your afro weave pics are great...I want that style for my Miami trip. What kind of hair did you use....you mentioned you did modeling on the side...do you also do hair on the side?
wink.gif

Thanks for the tips Netta. I have been transitioning for 8 months now and it's been rough at times. I have somewhat thick hair, but I had forgotten just how it felt since I had been relaxing for about 24 years or more. The greatest blessing is my hubby LOVES my natural hair...he loves the waves. But, sometimes I was so tempted to relax, especially after I would wash it and it took so long to get it back under control.

Something I found helpful (and I'm not sure if this is good for my hair or not) is when I want to take my cornrows out (which I wear most of the time), to give my head a break, I have done a conditioner wash (with Dove...which I really like a lot), then I use a marcel curling and wave wax on my hair. It truly makes my hair so much smoother, the waves are much bigger, and I love the shine. Then, I put on my "phony pony" that I make myself out of extention hair, and it looks really great. As a matter of fact, for the first times since in Paris, I did that to my hair today and so many people looked at my hair. You honestly couldn't tell that my phony pony wasn't my hair because of how dark, shiny, and wavy my natural hair looked. Also, I find if any stands get loose (aroudn the back edges or right in front of my ears, they make beautiful curls...I guess because he of the hair wax, but they look really cute. My hubby even commented on how nicely they accented my face. I'm not sure if I'll stay natural after I reach my "one year without relaxers" goal, but I really thing this helps if I decided to go longer.

I will try some of the Carol Daughters products, I heard they were good. Thanks for the tips.:)

Good question JenJen
smile.gif
...I would like to know what makes this brush so much better than others? Also, is there a URL you can provide so we can go see the brush?

Thanks girl, I have yet to go back to that hair store and find out what kind of hair that was. I know that it was human hair, but I can't think of the brand
look.gif
. I can do a little hair, but I usually just do mine :0).

Ok My bad I have the D3 not the D4, but the Denman works good because it helps in detangling. I don't use mine all the time, just like once in a blue moon. The only reason I don't use it often is becuase I enjoy detangling with my fingers, plus I don't have a whole lotta hair yet. There are alternative brushes you can get and of course the Denman won't work for everyone. Anyway here is the website with a picture of the brush http://www.ballbeauty.com/dentrad.htm (I hope its ok for me to post it here)

I got my denman from the Sallys, check there website.

Thanks for posting these tips Netta! I'm thinking about transitioning and I'm closer to making the BC each day. I KNOW my hair will thank me for it in the long run!
drunk.gif

You all are more than welcome. I remember when I was transitioning I needed all the help I could get. I transitioned for over six months. A good book to read regarding natural hair is "Lets Talk Hair" by Pamela Farwell. I checked this book out at my local Library.

Cybra your braids are stunning by the way...you really should use one of those pics as your avatar. Beautiful!

I transitioned for 7 months...the thing that saved my permed ends until I was ready to cut them was using a hummectant type conditioner for my condition washes. It helped my natural hair stay moisturized and helped my permed ends stay strong.

I also wore my hair in a style similar to my natural hair...so I was not fighting with the two textures.

Great tips, Netta!

I wish internet hair boards had been around the first time I decided to grow out my relaxer. I damaged my hair by pressing the relaxed strands and had to keep getting trims.
speechless-smiley-034.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Netta1 said:
Girl please me too, I was on my way to pressing city.

[/ QUOTE ]

I visit that city every once and while. It can get quite hot there.

rofl.gif

I just bought the D3 and D4 this weekend and I like them both. I bought one for me and one for my natural-headed daughter. So far so good. I really didn't expect that brush to have any smoothing effects at all, but my relaxed ends were smooth without the tearing that comes naturally to the other brushes.

But for the cost, I think I want the brush to wash, detangle, style and put a ponytail holder in my hair - ALL ON ITS OWN. I made the mistake of going to Trade Secret instead of checking at Sally's

Yeah I got mine from sallys, I think I might have to get another one becuase I couldn't find mine this weekend.

Back