Transitioning Question

babi_71686

I have been trying sooooooooo hard to decide whether or not I should transition. I am not afraid of not knowing what to do with my hair, or my natural hair texture. I am afraid of cutting off my hair and therefore exposing my big behind head to the masses. My hair kind of hides my head and I don't want to make that cut. Also, stretching my relaxer for long enough never seems to work. Can anyone give me suggestions on how to stretch my relaxer without going bald and having to cut my hair off anyway? I was thinking I could get blowouts and/or flat iron weekly until my natural hair is long enough to cut off the perm, or slowly having the perm trimmed until I am all natural. But I am not sure since it is so hard for me to stretch my relaxers. HELP!!!!!:perplexed

And thanks in advance, I've been reading and I know you all give good advice.

Wel how far can you actually stretch a relaxer comfortably? Id go that far and then take it from there and address all the issues one by one. When I first started it was HARD! Id gone a year once before without a touchup and I almost went crazy! But this time I had a hair website and lots of close friends that had "been there, done that."

The one BIG thing that helped me out was a mini chop. After about 6months my hair started to take on its own personality. It did whatever it please and dragged those relaxed ends with it :lachen: I asked around and the major respncse was to start trimming away. My hair became so much easier to handle (after I showed her who the boss was :lol:) Just take it day by day and when it gets unbearable try braids or weaves or a trim or a braidout (doesnt have to be neat to took good)

Thats how Im making it through otherwise it would be all gone in a minute :)

thanks sooooooo much. I looked at your album and it was very inspirational. I am going to try getting blow outs and trims or even flat ironing at home and trimming slowly. I want to get it back to a healthy state first, then get those braids I saw in your profile. Thanks for the help.

P.S.- Your album is soo funny. Everybody should have a .22 in their purse to keep their hair in check...:lol:

Good luck with your transiton, if you choose to do so. I have a suggestion though, that is the opposite of what your plan is. Instead of trying to make your natural hair behave like your relaxed hair, why not try to do things an easier way that will not damage your natural new growth. Why not try to make your relaxed hair resmeble your natural hair more? Styles like braid/twists outs and roller/rod sets will help you do this. Also, don't worry about your head being to large, natural hair is beautiful on all head sizes. :lol: If you need any other help or advice feel free to pm me. :)

Super_Hero_Girl said:
Good luck with your transiton, if you choose to do so. I have a suggestion though, that is the opposite of what your plan is. Instead of trying to make your natural hair behave like your relaxed hair, why not try to do things an easier way that will not damage your natural new growth. Why not try to make your relaxed hair resmeble your natural hair more? Styles like braid/twists outs and roller/rod sets will help you do this. Also, don't worry about your head being to large, natural hair is beautiful on all head sizes. :lol: If you need any other help or advice feel free to pm me. :)

ITA! By forcing yourself to deal with your natural hair right away you won't be in for such a shock when you have a full head of natural hair, and you won't risk irreversible damage to your natural texture from the use of heat. Anyway, good luck with your decision!

I couldn't transition long... I only lasted 7 months before I chopped and that was because my relaxed ends were breaking off at the demarcation line. When I transitioned, I would wear buns, rollersets, or get my hair blowdried straight.

But several ladies here have transitioned for several months and even years before cutting their relaxed ends off... hairlove, Bublnbrnsuga, and Peachtree are two ladies I know off hand. Do a search on posts from them.

Take care!

Oh yeah of course! Try some braids outs twist outs or even a puff everyonce in a while. Ive had my fair share of them all. Thats way you can really get used to your natural hair as it grows rather than all at once. And as far as the .22 everybody needs a lil peace :lol:

Back