Transitioning....Managing new growth??

Jazzy413

Hey ladies....I am currently ATTEMPTING to transition without the BC. Has been about 18 weeks since my last relaxer. Well I washed my hair today with Apoghee for damaged hair, followed up with elasta qp creme con, and elasta qp dpr-11. My hair seemed soooo tangled and I noticed some strands were shedding...Is this normal since I am transitioning? What can I use to help prevent this from continuing to happen?? It wasnt a lot, but as I was putting the DPR-11 in, I noticed as I ran my hand thru/over my hair, they seemed to be shedding a bit. HELP!

Bumping for replies please!! I read one of the threads thats making me think all is ok, but Id like to hear what other transitioners are experiencing!!

Well, I'm no longer "transitioning" but when I was, I would generously apply a super slippy moisterizing con to the length of the hair, especially the new growth, directly following any wash or protein treatment. Especially since a good protein treatment can sometimes tangle the hair. If that wasn't enough to detangle, I'd use a leave-in detanlger. MNT detangler always got the job done when I was transitioning.

I dont know if this will help because I'm not transitioning, but I do stretch for long periods at a time and the combination of things that stop breaking and shedding during the stretch for me are:
1) No combing unless its wash day, then I comb under running water w/condish in, using a wide tooth comb.
2) Pre-pooing with a protein conditioner (ORS Mayo) & deep conditioning with an intense hydrator (Joico or Kenra) w/every wash
3) doing an aphogee treatment every six weeks (the one that you apply and let get hard under the dryer, then rinse) great for stopping breakage immediately.
4) Keeping my roots as straight as possible by flatironing them or blowing them straight...the latter is too much heat near my scalp for me so I flat iron my roots mostly.
I hope this helps a little bit, good luck with everything:wink2:

Hey ladies....I am currently ATTEMPTING to transition without the BC. Has been about 18 weeks since my last relaxer. Well I washed my hair today with Apoghee for damaged hair, followed up with elasta qp creme con, and elasta qp dpr-11. My hair seemed soooo tangled and I noticed some strands were shedding...Is this normal since I am transitioning? What can I use to help prevent this from continuing to happen?? It wasnt a lot, but as I was putting the DPR-11 in, I noticed as I ran my hand thru/over my hair, they seemed to be shedding a bit. HELP!

Hi Jazzy!
I've been down that road for almost a full year before bc'ing (of course by that time it really wasn't a bc so much as just a haircut honestly.... the reason why your hair is behaving like that is verrrryyyy simple and didn't hit me until I was combing chunks of my hair out of my head struggling with knots. Honestly, the products you've used when you were relaxed don't work nearly as well if not the opposite as intended when its on your natural hair. For some unspeakable reason, it just DOESN'T work anymore.

Natural products I was using on my head would make my new growth springy and wonderful and my relaxed hair a tangled mop. Vice versa, products I would use when I was relaxed would make my new growth oily, frizzy, and dry whereas it would make my relaxed hair silky and moist. I don't know why now that I think about it although I have a theory and I think it has to do with the hair shaft. I think because the shape of the natural hair shaft versus the relaxed hair shaft is different and accepts protein, moisture, and cleansing differently.

A suggestion- chuck a good portion of the products you've used while you were relaxed or at least hide them because either way the hair is going to suffer depending on what type of product used. When I was transitioning buns were my best friends since i've not been much of a braid or twist type person. You can pretty much slick oil in the hair or a moisturizing butter of some kind and put the hair back its very low-maintenance. Shedding is regular during transition, especially around the line of demarcation (where the natural meets the relaxed) which is why I recommend after losing so much hair throughout my transition, chopping sooner rather than later (or at least once you have 4-6 inches of natural hair)..... its stops both types of hair from suffering extreme damage. And I think for now with the added stress of the line of demarcation, i'd stop using aphogee or any type of protein based treatment until I chop just for safe measure. It might've aggravated the situation more than normal.

HTH
and if you have any questions feel free to PM me! I'd love to offer my assistance!
Meia

I see you have 2a hair

This is great info...and very helpful!! Thanks so much to meia for all the wonderful advice...I am definitely taking all this in!! I thought I was gonna go crazy if I say another string of hair!!! LOL

This is great info...and very helpful!! Thanks so much to meia for all the wonderful advice...I am definitely taking all this in!! I thought I was gonna go crazy if I say another string of hair!!! LOL

Girl- don't you know I thought I was going bald too? lol...the shedding is incredible during this phase. Just try minimizing your routine a little bit. I just wrote this in another thread but
I think it is really sound advice! :yep: Get yourself a good mild shampoo and thick conditioner, a detangling/conditioning spray (try oyin's greg's juice or mix your concoction with hair loving materials- olive oil, peppermint oil *only 2 or 3 drops*, etc., swirl in some shea butter, aloe vera gel and water for instance), oil (almond, coconut oil etc.,) butter (shea *unrefined always*, cocoa), clarifier (can be done with a teaspoon of acv and a full cup or two of water or baking soda also a teaspoon and a cup or two of water massaged into the scalp), doo-rag (you HAVE to wrap your hair as much as possible just because if you dont sometimes the relaxed ends can snag on your pillow if it isn't silk and tear all the way up the shaft and tangle, and a good comb and brush combo (a comb that won't tear the hair and a brush thats got thicker plastic bristles is great- a boars head is too harsh for your texture....incorporating all that really does help and it keeps your regime (if you can believe by all that i've written) as simple as possible and simple is better during transitioning!

Aww its no problem! If you need anymore help you can count on me!

OMG Meia...You are my lifesaver!! Can you adopt me!!???!!! THis is the most guidance I have received thus far, even tho everyone has been so helpful and answered all my questions, you have given me a starting point. I have been somewhat lost and not sure where to go, even with all this info at hand!!!

On a side note, can you PM me your password to your fotki...I want to see your progress/hair...Thanks girl!!

Back