Transitioning and Vacation.....

mscounselor

Those who are transitioning what do you take when you go on vacation? I will be going to Jamaica for 2 weeks and normally I just run to the hair salon for a wash and set (less than $10 US-cant beat it). But now that I am trying to transition I'm afraid of letting anyone touch my hair. What do you bring in order to maintain your hair and sanity. (BTW-I am never wearing braids with extensions again!)
Anything you can give would be helpful! TIA

I suggest you take something to slick your hair down and your scarf and just rock a banging ponytail. You can always slick and tie down each time you get it wet. Or you can take some conditioner and scrunch it in your hair and have a curly do. That's what I did when I went to ST. Lucia this summer. I walked around with the conditioner in my hair. I scrunched it so it was curly, and it was protected from the Sun with the conditioner....

Well I'm assuming you will be in the beautiful waters of the Caribbean so I second bringing conditioners with you, also leave in conditioners and anything that moisturizes (serums, hair butters, even hair grease (only for the hair and not the scalp). I also recommed you rock braid outs during your vacation since they are easy to maintain.

If you plan on having romantic nights, I recommend washing the hair, airdrying, and flat ironing the hair or if you plan on staying away from heat, slightly airdry and do a nice sleek chignon bun with accessories. All that is required for this is bobby pins and a serum or gloss drops (I recommend Paul Mitchell). Have a great vacation girl and enjoy the weather!!!:grin:

Last edited:
Cincysweetie said:
Well I'm assuming you will be in the beautiful waters of the Caribbean so I second bringing conditioners with you, also leave in conditioners and anything that moisturizes (serums, hair butters, even hair grease (only for the hair and not the scalp). I also recommed you rock braid outs during your vacation since they are easy to maintain.

If you plan on having romantic nights, I recommend washing the hair, airdrying, and flat ironing the hair or if you plan on staying away from heat, slightly airdry and do a nice sleek chignon bun with accessories. All that is required for this is bobby pins and a serum or gloss drops (I recommend Paul Mitchell). Have a great vacation girl and enjoy the weather!!!:grin:
ITA!
I'm not transitioning, but I was stretching in May when I went down to Destin and I had no clue what to do with my hair so I slacked and my hair was NOT happy about it.
When I went out of town for Thanksgiving, I took conditioner, mango butter, leave-in, and a couple of other products. I wore a conditioned braidout and my hair held up VERY well the entire time...plus when I got back, I didn't have hell to deal with from neglect.
I would definitely say do the braidout or wash & go since the weather will be warm. That way you don't have to spend so much time on it and you'll still be looking great! :)

Well, before I went to see my boyfriend, I went to a natural salon. The stylist washed, treated, blowdried, and silkened by flat ironing. Then she taught me how to wrap it to keep the style. It stayed until I washed it.

You can also wear wash-n-go styles-
even find someone to braid or twist your hair without extensions--

btw have a great vacation!

This past summer I got my hair pressed before I went on vacation---big mistake --- but I packed flexi-rods, setting solution, straws, and bobby pins because I knew my hair wouldn't last. The year before last I actually did use the supplies I brought along, however, this year I wound up going to a salon out where we were vacationing to get my hair done over again. I'm probably going to do it again this year. I'll just get on the plane with whatever style my hair is in and get it done out there because the prices are much cheaper! But to answer your question, I practically bring everything I use on my hair on a regular basis. HTH.

I went to JA in April, and I did wash and go styles. All I brought was some mousse, conditioner and something (can't remember what i was using at the time) to keep my hair down when i wore it in a ponytail.

Thank you for all the advice!
I agree with the conditioners and balms/serums. The only problem is with the layered look I have its hard to have anything slicked back.
I would get a blow out but my scalp acts up during this time off year. I may do the twist/braid out though because I can work with that even in romantic situations. If anything else fails, I should have my maxiglide by then and I can airdry under a scarf and press for the evening.

Anyone else?

Back