Transitioning and starting to look like a hot mess!

HairQueen

Hi guys

I am transitioning and am currently 13 weeks post.

This is my second attempt at a transition - the first time I got to this point but I turned back and relaxed but that was because my hair was breaking like crazy.. but this time I have been using s-curl and the moisture level is great! No breakage - strong hair growing through.

But the problem I am having is I look like a hot mess! I am wearing a pretty half weave (the one u can take on and off each night - love it) and so most of my hair is tucked away underneath but my edges are starting to look 'bad'..I feel bad saying that as its my natural hair (4a/b - with a lot of 4b in the front) and I love it hence the reason why I am going natural but why do I look such a mess!:sad:

I wash and deep cond every week then dry in 4 braids under dryer - I don't blow dry or flat iron the roots I leave them be - I don't want to damage my newgrowth before its even started.

But what can I do to look decent - and why does it look so messy anyway? Is it because of the combination of the two textures (i.e. the relaxed combined with the natural coming through). When it is all natural will my roots look this messy?

I need help before I turn back to relaxer which I don't want to do!!

I hope the only options aren't braids or a full wig :nono: hate them..I hate false hair full stop to be honest but I can just about live with this half wig because its removable.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I 2nd on getting a wig that matches ur natural texture. Embrace that new growth!

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using LHCF

Do you only want to wear a half wig or are you open to wearing your hair only? I would recommend wearing your own hair in styles that help to blend the new growth like rod sets, braid outs, twist outs, and buns.

You can slick back the new growth by using products that have a little hold like ECO Styler Gel and ORS Smooth and Hold pudding with a firm brush and a scarf. To tame fly aways use butter or a heavy oil.

Otherwise, with a really coily texture you can't blend without heat, which would eventually damage your curl pattern. If you are not willing to wear your own hair, then braids and weaves are really your only option.

It depends on the type of half wigs you're wearing. If it is slightly straight with big barrell curls,roller set the front of your hair and sit under the dryer. If the wig is a tighter wave pattern,try a twist out or braid out to blend. If the wig is straight,wrap your hair and sit under the dryer. Use a little gel and headbands to help it out a bit. HTH

Sent from my Android...Boom.

Try smoothing your egdes with Ecostyler gel and a soft boar bristle brush, then tie it down for at least 10 mins with a scarf.

Do you only want to wear a half wig or are you open to wearing your hair only? I would recommend wearing your own hair in styles that help to blend the new growth like rod sets, braid outs, twist outs, and buns.

You can slick back the new growth by using products that have a little hold like ECO Styler Gel and ORS Smooth and Hold pudding with a firm brush and a scarf. To tame fly aways use butter or a heavy oil.

Otherwise, with a really coily texture you can't blend without heat, which would eventually damage your curl pattern. If you are not willing to wear your own hair, then braids and weaves are really your only option.

Yes that is a good idea thanks..I need to get a trim first though because I tried a twistout and the relaxed ends looked awful:ohwell: with a trim they should look better thanks

Last edited:
It depends on the type of half wigs you're wearing. If it is slightly straight with big barrell curls,roller set the front of your hair and sit under the dryer. If the wig is a tighter wave pattern,try a twist out or braid out to blend. If the wig is straight,wrap your hair and sit under the dryer. Use a little gel and headbands to help it out a bit. HTH

Sent from my Android...Boom.

Its a big barrell curl type wig - I will try the rollerset good idea, thank you.

I don't do straight wigs/hair - doesn't suit me...I'm curly all the way:yep:

Try smoothing your egdes with Ecostyler gel and a soft boar bristle brush, then tie it down for at least 10 mins with a scarf.

I have been using ecostyler - for the first few weeks it was great but with the new growth getting bigger and bigger it just loooks messy - but I haven't been putting a scarf on afterwards though - will try that good idea thanks.

Looove your hair in your siggy by the way..can't wait until mine is like that lovely and thick and full ooh I love it..:lick:

Last edited:
Sensationnel half wig hz 7048 is a great wig that will match your edges. I wore it when I was natural. I bc'd and wore half wigs for a year. I think transitioning is way more work and I have mad respect for people who long term transition.

It's funny because mentally you kind of have to accept that your edge will never lay and have that neat look when you were relaxed. Your edges can look smooth, but it's just a different look from having relaxed hair.

Subbing! Last night I made the big decision to go natural! I'm in the same boat as you, my last relaxer was in May and my hair looks ridiculous.

No big chop for me either. I hate my headshape!!!

A natural textured wig may suit you so that you can take it off when you desire. If not, braids or a weave are options to consider when avoiding the "relaxer itch". However, if you desire to work and learn your natural texture, twist outs, braid outs, and buns are reliable options for transitioners. I've used these during my long transition (see my ticker, lol).

Here to help!

Yup...I remember that stage...I called it my "ugly" stage. I had so much NG but much more relaxed ends and it looked a mess. I found that smoothing the edges down after washing and then using gel, oil and moisturizer to hold it down made the most impact on matching the two textures. It only lasts about a day then you have to re-smooth the edges again. On days I was lazy I used an elastic head band on the edges and wore it. Good luck!

I agree with what other have said about the Eco Styler or ORS. I used both. And also, the reality of it is that you just may need a little patience and learn to accept that your hair is going to look different - but not necessarily a mess.

Maybe spend some time playing around with different hairstyles on your own hair instead of using a wig so that you can learn about what your hair needs along the way. I personally just experimented with buns, braidouts, twists, twist out, ironed out, etc. I'm close to 13 months transitioning and honey, my hair doesn't look perfect all the time but I've experimented with it to make it look pretty darn good. Play around, read, try new styles, and be patient - which is always easier said than done :yawn:

Try the gel with the scarf. It worked for me when I was transitioned. I used Elasta QP Glaze back then. Hadn't been hipped to Eco Styler just yet.

I'm almost 17 weeks post. Right now my hair is blow dried but to help with my new growth while it's curly, I do stretched out styles like flat twist outs. This helps to stretch my new growth to make it more manageable. Then it'll be easier to pull your hair back it slick it down with the gel and scarf method :grin:

I have been using ecostyler - for the first few weeks it was great but with the new growth getting bigger and bigger it just loooks messy - but I haven't been putting a scarf on afterwards though - will try that good idea thanks.

Looove your hair in your siggy by the way..can't wait until mine is like that lovely and thick and full ooh I love it..:lick:

Thank you HairQueen! :) Definitely try the scarf, it makes a difference. The longer you tie it down the better. Sometimes I do this right after washing while its still damp if I want it super sleek.

Guys thanks for all your posts - you are all so right about the scarf and eco styler I honestly can't BELIEVE the difference! I have simply been spritzing my my hair with water followed by eco styler and then put scarf on and my hair is toatlly FLAT!! Nobody would ever believe that I was 13 weeks post!!

Our hair is just simply amazing - it is like one of those foam mattresses lol its like it has a 'memory' and we can shape it to take on different forms naturally.

Maaan I am so excited about going natural, now that I have mastered how to make my hair look neat in the front there is no turning back now..and plus my hair looks so PRETTY..the water and gel highlight my curls which look like pretty waves at the front. So far I have only tried the argan oil eco styler and today I bought a tub of the olive oil looking forward to trying that and if its anything as good as the other one I will be very happy. It is brilliant.

I didn't know our hair was so amazingly versatile..I am so happy right now :grin::grin::grin:

Guys thanks for all your posts - you are all so right about the scarf and eco styler I honestly can't BELIEVE the difference! I have simply been spritzing my my hair with water followed by eco styler and then put scarf on and my hair is toatlly FLAT!! Nobody would ever believe that I was 13 weeks post!!

Our hair is just simply amazing - it is like one of those foam mattresses lol its like it has a 'memory' and we can shape it to take on different forms naturally.

Maaan I am so excited about going natural, now that I have mastered how to make my hair look neat in the front there is no turning back now..and plus my hair looks so PRETTY..the water and gel highlight my curls which look like pretty waves at the front. So far I have only tried the argan oil eco styler and today I bought a tub of the olive oil looking forward to trying that and if its anything as good as the other one I will be very happy. It is brilliant.

I didn't know our hair was so amazingly versatile..I am so happy right now :grin::grin::grin:

i tried the EcoStyler Gel Klear this week and i love it. it has a hard hold but i like the way it defines my curls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj3EelAPgFk

Here is a comprehensive review that Mahogany Curls did on ALL the Ecostyler gels. I love this review because she covers each version very thoroughly.

i tried the EcoStyler Gel Klear this week and i love it. it has a hard hold but i like the way it defines my curls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj3EelAPgFk

Here is a comprehensive review that Mahogany Curls did on ALL the Ecostyler gels. I love this review because she covers each version very thoroughly.

Thanks, I have not tried the clear yet but will try that one too. I bought a travel sized version of the pink one too.

Thanks for posting that link - I look forward to watching that vid when I get home tonight.

Here are some option:

Natural ways to make your hair easier to manage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQD5vt5-3AI

Then there is this natural option is ...
http://www.janellebeauty.com/site.cfm?s=jb2&pid=166&type=pid

CON: STiCkY and messy process...

Option 3 : bkt or Bkt alternatives

Option 4 : BC start fresh....hope it helps.:yep:

Hi guys

I am transitioning and am currently 13 weeks post.

This is my second attempt at a transition - the first time I got to this point but I turned back and relaxed but that was because my hair was breaking like crazy.. but this time I have been using s-curl and the moisture level is great! No breakage - strong hair growing through.

But the problem I am having is I look like a hot mess! I am wearing a pretty half weave (the one u can take on and off each night - love it) and so most of my hair is tucked away underneath but my edges are starting to look 'bad'..I feel bad saying that as its my natural hair (4a/b - with a lot of 4b in the front) and I love it hence the reason why I am going natural but why do I look such a mess!:sad:

I wash and deep cond every week then dry in 4 braids under dryer - I don't blow dry or flat iron the roots I leave them be - I don't want to damage my newgrowth before its even started.

But what can I do to look decent - and why does it look so messy anyway? Is it because of the combination of the two textures (i.e. the relaxed combined with the natural coming through). When it is all natural will my roots look this messy?

I need help before I turn back to relaxer which I don't want to do!!

I hope the only options aren't braids or a full wig :nono: hate them..I hate false hair full stop to be honest but I can just about live with this half wig because its removable.

Thanks.

Here are some option:

Natural ways to make your hair easier to manage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQD5vt5-3AI

Then there is this natural option is ...
http://www.janellebeauty.com/site.cfm?s=jb2&pid=166&type=pid

CON: STiCkY and messy process...

Option 3 : bkt or Bkt alternatives

Option 4 : BC start fresh....hope it helps.:yep:

Great info thanks..not sure about the term 'relaxer' she uses in the vid but anyhow I noticed too that when I have used virgin unrefined coconut oil my hair was very soft and silky smooth so I think it does have affect in softening and smoothing the hair.

For the first few weeks into my transition I wore buns, now that I am nearly seven months in I wear braids. Currently I am studying abroad in South Africa and braids seemed to be the easiest way to manage my hair while I am away from home.

For you I would agree with the other ladies, try a wig that mimics your natural texture!
Don't go back to relaxers and stand strong!
Everyone goes through that "weird" phase but it will all be better when you've reach complete naturalness!!

Hope this helps!
T

Don't give up, be patient and you will definitely reap the benefits later. If you ever get discourage and its heavy on your mind, try to focus on something else.

I would try applying JBCO (jamaican black castor oil) and aloe vera gel on the edges and tie a scarf around to lay it down for at least an hour.

HHG!

Back