Transitioners: If you were transitioning and deploying....

BobbieDoll

What would you absolutely have to take with you? I'm asking because I am due to go on a 7 month deployment on the 23rd that was just thrown at us. I am transitioning and want to continue but with me being so busy getting ready to leave and not being able to do my hair the way I really want to on the ship I fear I will get frustrated and want to relax. I figured I would see what you ladies would do if you were in this situation and see if I can get a general idea of products/aides/tools etc and see if I can continue to transition while I am away. TIA!!

How do you plan to wear your hair?

I would definitely bring moisturizing shampoo's and conditioners (Giovanni Direct, Aubrey Organics, are a few good ones), a good detangling comb, deep conditioners, plastic caps and silk/satin scarves, and a good moisturizer. I would normally recommend curl moisturizer but this may not be a good idea if you're being deployed to the desert.

Comb, Brush, Conditioner, scarf and hair butter (preferably hemp or avocado). Just co-wash, then use conditioner as leave in, apply some butter, detangle, put hair in a bun and put on scarf to lay down hair.

This is my go to travel hair kit. I travel a lot as a professional classical musician and I have found these things to be ideal. I am actually out of town right now and followed this regimen after it rained my flat ironed hair away yesterday.

How do you plan to wear your hair?

I would definitely bring moisturizing shampoo's and conditioners (Giovanni Direct, Aubrey Organics, are a few good ones), a good detangling comb, deep conditioners, plastic caps and silk/satin scarves, and a good moisturizer. I would normally recommend curl moisturizer but this may not be a good idea if you're being deployed to the desert.

Thanks. Im not going to the desert though. I'll be on a ship.

You fave shampoo (maybe some shampoo bars to save space and not have to worry about liquid), some regular conditioner, your fave DC, shower cap, butter (or your fave sealant) and a good leave in. Oh and if you need protein, maybe aphogee 2 minute or soemthing

Just a thought b/c I dont know how you plan to wear your hair, but I'd throw it up in a french braid or maybe do something like the crown and glory while you are away. That will cut down on manipulation and you wont need things like flat irons or dryers or etc

Shampoo (optional because you could do no-poo), fav slippy co-wash conditioner (for me that would be vo5, suave, HEHH or pantene), wide-tooth comb, brush, gel (i use ampro brown gel), scarf, fav oil (evoo or evco for me). This is all based on my experience though and is basically all I use. If you are a person who needs to DC then I guess you would need to bring a DC and/or protein conditioner as well.

EA: Oh yeah and ponytail holders and clips.

OP, I feel your frustration as far as trasitioning during a deployment, I dud it while I was deployed to Iraq and then did the BC while I was there after only a few months into my transition with a significant amount of growth. Since you are on a ship and I was on land, I'm not sure how it will be as far as receiving packages and ordering things online but you always have that option so don't worry if you don't get everything before you go. How far into your transition are you and how much relaxed bs new growth do you have? If your hair is currently like your profile pic then, microbraids or twists could be the way to go initially so your scalp can breathe and you can get to it to oil it and stuff. Also you can take out sections and redo it so they stat looking fresh, which is what I did on my deployments... I know how to braid and whatnot so if you don't know how, you can check your bucket and see if there is anyone deploying with you who can do this for you. If not, then at least you have 2-3 months of a braided style, depending on your hair growth. Also you can get a few foney ponys to attach to your ponytail.... You can braid it in the front and attach the pony onto yours. Www.goldenmartbeautysupply.com has an amazing selection for just about everything, they ship to APO,AEO etc, addresses and they are fast... If you can braid, seeing as you are on a ship, you can make extra cash by doing other girls hair as well, that's what I did. It worked out well, I didn't have to really spend any of the money I was making.... Lol otherwise, i definately agree with the others, a good sulfate free shampoo, moisturizer, conditioner, wide tooth comb, rat tail comb, shears ( you may not want to BC yet but in case you develope split ends, you want to nip them in the bud, literally)stock up on the seamless ponytail holders or learn to make one with a stocking, at Sallys there is a cap that acts somewhat like a steamer and locks in moisture, because you will be on the ocean and idk how the conditions of your ship will be that may be a good thing to get, it's only a few bucks for a set of 4. Do you know if the showers have hard or soft water? If you could find out, that may save you a world of headache... If I can think of anything else, I'll let you know but good luck and God bless,

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I plan on getting micros or a sew in (still not sure which one) before we leave and keeping it in for 2-3 months. Im pretty sure I can detangle pretty easily if I have a really good dc that gives a lot of slip and I can wet bun most of the time. I also thought about wigs and half wigs for when i come out of the braids or sew in. Thanks again for all of the suggestions.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Back