Transition Advice: Which Is Better For Transitioning? Sew In Or Braids?

Which Is Better For Transitioning?

• Full Sew In

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Braids (Preferably Kinky Twists)

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Other

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters

kbragg

Hi ladies, I am once AGAIN (don't laugh:lol:) transitioning to natural after being inspired by Lauren450:cool: I know my downfall on both my previous attempts was dealing with the 2 textures so I decided to transition via hiding my hair and chopping about an inch or so per touch up/redo. I will be using BT to help accelerate the process. My question is, which would be better to transition in? A full sew in or braids (preferably Kinky twists)? Has anyone ever used BT with a full sew in as well? Please vote and also post any advice you have for me:grin:

Hi, Kbragg:

I say sew-ins because at least your hair is situated in such a way that it is evenly covered, if you will, to manage and grow out more uniformly(?).... with the braids, I think the hair goes through more manipulation (hair being braided with other hair and being exposed versus your hair being covered).

I like the option of half-wigs because my hair can be braided but I can take off the half-wig and really massage my hair and get some air in there versus a full-sew win.... You can also get a half-wig sewn on.... that probably saves money and time....

HTH and much success on your journey to being chemically-free!:grin:

I used full head sewin to transition for about 1 year and used the 2nd year to grow my hair out. It grew my hair out fast. If you do get a sewin, make sure you give your hair a break sometimes.

Good luck with your transition!

I don’t have much advice to give since I’ve only worn braids once and had them removed after a week because of the itch and I’ve never had a weave. However I don’t think one or the other is better. It’s just a matter of what you are willing to deal with. I’ve been wearing my hair in a bun for the most part during my transition and wearing hats. Wigs are another option. There are so many cute ones out now.

Hi ladies, I am once AGAIN (don't laugh:lol:) transitioning to natural after being inspired by Lauren450:cool: I know my downfall on both my previous attempts was dealing with the 2 textures so I decided to transition via hiding my hair and chopping about an inch or so per touch up/redo. I will be using BT to help accelerate the process. My question is, which would be better to transition in? A full sew in or braids (preferably Kinky twists)? Has anyone ever used BT with a full sew in as well? Please vote and also post any advice you have for me:grin:

I voted full sew-in. I'm wearing a full sew-in right now. ITA with foxyscholar that there is less mani w/sew-ins where as w/braids you might be more inclined to pull hair into various styles putting added tension on your already stretched roots. The last time I transitioned from relaxed to natural I did it by wearing wigs and sew-ins. I really can't do braids because I can't stand the itching, the tension and the lint that so easily forms around the base of the braids. IMO it's harder to maintain braids. I love wigs too because you can take them off and let your scalp breathe at night even if your own hair is braided underneath and it's even easier to condition.

Current sew-in weave style (attached)

Attachments

• PIC00288-1-1.jpg
    PIC00288-1-1.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 10
Hello,
I am a newbie here. I have been transitioning for about two months now. I used to wear braids alot and now I use sew-ins to transition. I find my hair more manageable once I take the sewins out versus taking braids out.

I picked "other" because I successfully transitiond to natural by rollersetting my hair once a week and putting my hair up in a ponytail.

A good friend of mine transitioned by braiding her hair for 2 yrs. Just be careful not to braid too tight because now she's dealing with hair loss at her temples.

Last edited:
I have to say both....when i first started i was using braids(micros medium size), then i used sew in weaves. I'm kind of bad with both of them. I dont like keeping weaves in longer than 1 month because it just gets irritating to me to not be able to get to my own hair and to have all my hair sewn up. And then braids the only problems i have with them is that for the people i go to they braid up e-v-e-r-y piece of hair so my braids start sliding out after a couple of weeks.

Back