To trim or not to trim???

tdwillis

Hello Ladies:
So I have been hiding my hair under wigs since May of this year. I am on no special challenge, just had a second baby and got lazy. I deep condition and rebraid (or bun) once a week. However, my hair is under a wig 90% or the time with no heat.

My step-sister told me about a Keratriplex treatment at the Paul Mitchell beauty college (because she has the same regimen) and for $20, I decided to try it.

I went to the school, got the treatment done and the student did a beautiful light blowout. She wanted me to book another appointment and I was fine with that, but then she said that on the next appointment, she would cut it to get the split ends off. I don't think I need a trim because I wear wigs most of the time and I am not going to stop anytime soon. Of course to trim it, she would need to straighten it and I don't want that either. I love the treatment but I am not in the mood to have her straighten and trim it because I am happy with my progress.

My question is, since my hair is under wigs all of the time, does it need to be trimmed? Or, can I continue to deep condition weekly and let it grow out?

Splits cannot be repaired and can travel up the hair shaft the longer you delay on getting a trim. Wigs or no wigs you should trim those dead ends.

If you have badly split ends then you should get them trimmed. If you have just a few splits do a search and destroy instead.

I think you can trim your own hair. Since you wear wigs the majority of the time then don't get a trim until you stop. Most hairstylists will cur off a chunck of your hair trying to get all the dead ends. If you want a set back then let her trim it.
But you can do a search and destroy yourself. Everytime you wash and retwist then do a light dusting.

If they are truly split ends, I'd get them cut. But I prefer a search and destroy approach rather than just cutting off all the ends, even the ones that are perfectly fine. But I doubt many hair salons do that.

I don't think a lot of hairdressers out there really know what a split end is. I think a lot of them just cut of 'lead hairs,' rather than look for actual split hairs.

Last edited:
You probably don't even have splits. Hair salons are very cut happy. They sing that same tune even when you have taken the utmost care of your hair. I wouldn't let her do it. Examine your hair yourself. I've never seen a split travel, only women on here and salons say that. But I study my own hair and the splits stay right where they started. Get to know your own hair really well so you can't be setback by a stylist.

You probably don't even have splits. Hair salons are very cut happy. They sing that same tune even when you have taken the utmost care of your hair. I wouldn't let her do it. Examine your hair yourself. I've never seen a split travel, only women on here and salons say that. But I study my own hair and the splits stay right where they started. Get to know your own hair really well so you can't be setback by a stylist.

I have never seen a split travel all the way up the hair shaft without breaking off first.

Get it cut. If you haven't trimmed in a long time, you probably need a cut. Because natural hair curls, it's hard to see the splits....

@virtuenow, as @dancinstallion said, the splits never travel all the way to the root. They tear off- way before that-which is why thin ends occur. These magnified strands are a clear indication of this tearing away we are talking about. The reason some strands are thin is because the tear of splits traveled further up and tapered on one side and tore off.
split_ends.jpg

That's why you get pointed ends and thin ends on hair that hasn't been trimmed. The fact that splits happened at all is a clear indication that a strand that was born with no tear gradually got a rip that started from nothing and grew to where you can see it. I dust frequently enough so I never have to see the splits--I don't give them a chance to get to a visible state.

The one time I didn't, I didn't even see the splits. I just saw the thin ends left after the splits had torn off. Search and destroy is a waste of time unless you have nothing else to do in the world and a magnifying glass to observe each and every strand of the 100K+ you have. And even then, it's hard to tell when you're looking at a strand that has no split whether that's because it tore off what's left is just part of it or whether it's really one that is whole. It's easier and quicker to assume all your strands endure the same trauma and so all the ends are at the same stage of wear and trim all. The shorter strands are newer and protected within longer strands and less likely to have the damage of the longer strands...so I'd focus on the ends you can see...not the ones of shorter strands. Put another way, if you put your hair in twists, just trim the same amount from the ends all the twists.

Last edited:
I agree with Nonie. But as for not being able to see splits in kinky hair, that's not true. My ex has beautiful 4a hair that he keeps in twists. And I can see his splits when he talks to me (so at normal distances). They bothered the hell outta me. I had to bring my shears and cut them myself cuz he doesn't trust a salon to do it. Im sure if you only had a few splits then they may not always be visible.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I have to be honest and say that I don't cut my hair very often. Every six months or sometimes 9 months to a year. Even when I go for a long time, my hair is just uneven. I don't really get splits and even if I do and leave them. Nothing happens:look:. I say, go with your gut and with how your hair responds. Doing a half inch trim twice a year works for me and helps me retain.

Check your own hair. Do you see a lot of splits? Cut it. If you don't, then don't.

I trim my ends only when I absolutely need to now. And as of right now, it is once a year.

I agree with ms-gg & to a certain extent, virtuenow.

Hairdressers like to talk alot about split ends, but in my opinion tend to mix up hair that is uneven with hair that is actually split.

Carefully examine your individual strands of hair. That's right- the individual strands themselves, not bunches of strands together. Are the ends split or frayed? There's your answer. Pretty simple if you ask me.

I trim my own hair while in individual twists twice per year- in March & August. I do this b/c I'm too lazy to do what I suggested to you above....it's easier for me to assume that I'll have a few splits (and I also hide my hair under wigs 90% of the time), and I just cut off 1/2" twice per year and I'm done with it.

HTH

OK, so I guess what my goal was is to wear wigs for about a year and not cut or use heat. At the end, I was going to straighten and view the progress. I believed a cut would be necessary then. I didn't want to cut as I was hiding my hair. I wanted to wait until after the journey was over. I don't think she wants to do that, but she does a nice light blowout which I am comfortable with. I want to go back but I don't want the pressure of cut, cut, cut.
Technically I can buy the treatment online and perform the service at home. Maybe that is what I should do?

tdwillis, I don't know about you but if I was comfortable with the process of someone I trusted, I'd go to them instead risking damage doing it myself.

What I would do however, is dust it myself. I'd put my hair in twists (no straightening necessary) and then dust off an equal amount (ie cut very little) from all the twists. If you make the twist (or braids--they'd work too) small, then you can be comfy knowing you're making somewhat the same change in all the twists. Or if you trust a family member or a friend to do it, then have them do the dusting and then when you go to the salon, tell her you had a trim already and don't want another. If she's not just a random trimmer who just wants to cut to be cutting, then she'll realize that part of her job has been taken care of and move on.

If you aren't comfy doing it yourself, find someone who'll listen to you and not cut much. I forget where it is people say they go and get a cut of the size they ask for (SuperCuts?). It's usually white folks doing it, IIRC. Of course I think they'd be more comfy with straightish hair so you may have to at least blow dry. And if you do get a cut make sure you stand your ground and say you got that done. If she wonders why you didn't let HER do it. Tell her you just got bugged at holding onto the ends and wondered what damage they'd do if you kept them longer so got rid of them. Go with a friend who can be your backup if your stylist tries to pressure you to do it. There's strength in numbers. If you must act hurt at how much was cut and start your hellos with a sorry story of being so mad about it :giggle: do so. I doubt she'll wanna talk about scissors to someone who is clearly unhappy with what happened the last time they were used on her. :lol:

Personally, I don't believe in cutting my hair on a schedule, and that is exactly what you would be doing if you wait to cut your hair after an allotted amount of time. In my opinion, you need to listen to what YOUR HAIR wants, not what YOU want. If your hair has really busted ends, then cut them joints!

Split ends can happen for a few reasons: weathering, manipulation, overprocessing, whatever. I agree with other posters that the only remedy is to trim them.

And not all hair stylists are evil, scissor-happy screwballs. I don't know anyone with eyes in the back of their head to analyze every strand of hair on their head. Split ends happen to everyone at some point in time. It doesn't mean you're not taking care of your hair, the hair is just old and more susceptible. Some people can maintain length with them, some can't. But, for the preservation of your length, cut them thangs and keep it moving.

Personally, I don't believe in cutting my hair on a schedule, and that is exactly what you would be doing if you wait to cut your hair after an allotted amount of time. In my opinion, you need to listen to what YOUR HAIR wants, not what YOU want. If your hair has really busted ends, then cut them joints!

@ms-gg If I knew I could catch the splits before they've wrecked havoc on my hair, I'd do what you do. But I keep a schedule because I have found that I'm able to catch them before they happen when I do that.

When I haven't dusted on a schedule, I've noticed when it was too late. I have fine strands and it takes just 4 months of not dusting for me to need a 2 inch trim. And that is with my low mani styles!!!! By dusting it on a schedule, I only end up taking out 1.5 inches a year. That to me is a better deal. If I used to seal and protect, I've no doubt I'd be past BSB with this schedule. Because with this schedule I've seen my hair retain 8-10 inches in 2 years. And that again is w/o moisturizing at all!

Of course at 9-11 inches which is when I had had that^^ retentions, I was at full SL where protective styling becomes necessary and I can't be bothered to do it, so my retention past SL is terrible. But hey who thought I'd ever reach APL eh? I never got there when I never dusted regularly and relied on my stylist to do it when she saw fit. My belief is hair ends will split and disappear whether you see to it yourself or let nature take its course. I find I save more of my hair when I take matters into my own hands.

Last edited:
@ms-gg If I knew I could catch the splits before they've wrecked havoc on my hair, I'd do what you do. But I keep a schedule because I have found that I'm able to catch them before they happen when I do that.

When I haven't dusted on a schedule, I've noticed when it was too late. I have fine strands and it takes just 4 months of not dusting for me to need a 2 inch trim. And that is with my low mani styles!!!! By dusting it on a schedule, I only end up taking out 1.5 inches a year. That to me is a better deal. If I used to seal and protect, I've no doubt I'd be past BSB with this schedule. Because with this schedule I've seen my hair retain 8-10 inches in 2 years. And that again is w/o moisturizing at all!

Of course at 9-11 inches which is when I had had that^^ retentions, I was at full SL where protective styling becomes necessary and I can't be bothered to do it, so my retention past SL is terrible. But hey who thought I'd ever reach APL eh? I never got there when I never dusted regularly and relied on my stylist to do it when she saw fit. My belief is hair ends will split and disappear whether you see to it yourself or let nature take its course. I find I save more of my hair when I take matters into my own hands.

Your post is on point.

I have found that if I dust once a month, my ends are awesome.

It used to be a time that after a flat iron, once I ran the pick or my fingers through my hair, the ends would snag and felt rough.

Since dusting, my pick and my fingers run through the ends smoothly and with no snags.

I believe that each and every woman should learn to trim their own hair because from what I've seen in my life, the women with long hair usually self trim and never go to a stylist because of the scissor trigger fingers.

That is just my experience though.

And...I just don't like other folks hands in my hair anyways. :lol:

Back