To Relax Now or Later

*Happily Me*

Im 8 weeks post and I'm itching to relax because my hair is so unmanageble. It dreads in a little over a day and I constantly have to be all up in it detangling.

The roots? forget it. I can't even feel my scalp in some areas without pulling apart the hair. While I love that my hair is growing (Thank you, God), I am spending A LOT of time managing my hair.

The last time I texlaxed, which was Apr 11, as usual, I only left the relaxer in for approx 5 minutes after a very quick application. The relaxer I use is Precise mild.

1. Apply conditioner to hair
  2. Use a hair turbie or a towel and soak it in steaming hot water.
  3. Ring it out SOME until it has about 25% to 50% water in it. (I like mine kind of wet)
  4. Cover head with towel
  5. Cover head & towel with shower cap
  6. Sit under the dryer to deep condition for about 30 minutes more or less.

HTH!

Has this happened before? That would drive me nuts! Have you tried upping your moisture by increasing deep conditioning? Dc'ing twice a week has helped me so much with moisture retention and making my hair and newgrowth more managable. My thyroid had my hair so dry, it would form dreadlocs and knots daily :ohwell:

Last edited:
I hardly ever deep condition. that's probably one of the major causes...

I know you co wash frequently, but deep conditioning reeeaaally gets that needed moisture into your hair! BTW, I love your avi pic!

1. Apply conditioner to hair
  2. Use a hair turbie or a towel and soak it in steaming hot water.
  3. Ring it out SOME until it has about 25% to 50% water in it. (I like mine kind of wet)
  4. Cover head with towel
  5. Cover head & towel with shower cap
  6. Sit under the dryer to deep condition for about 30 minutes more or less.

HTH!
Thanks!!

I never thought about doing it like this :yep:

Come to think of it, I skipped DCing out of laziness moreso than anything else the past month or so and I did notice tangles in my new growth. My hair doesn't normally tangle so that's probably what the problem was. Try steaming or DCing more and see if that helps. But how do you normally manage your NG at this stage?

How do you dry your hair after you detangle?

Maybe if sectioned it off into giant bantu knots or something until it was dry it would help stretch the roots and keep them from re-tangling? You could try cornrowing just to the nape of your neck and bunning the rest or doing large flat twists but you got so much hair that in and of itself would take all night! :drunk:

I like using light oil like Jojoba or coconut on my roots b/c it keeps them slick and won't clog my scalp.

Come to think of it, I skipped DCing out of laziness moreso than anything else the past month or so and I did notice tangles in my new growth. My hair doesn't normally tangle so that's probably what the problem was. Try steaming or DCing more and see if that helps. But how do you normally manage your NG at this stage?

I usually wear my hair in a ponytail and bang. I detangle with Con green shampoo in sections, rinse, condition, and braid. Or I let it air dry then I braid. Go to bed and unravel braids when I get to work.

I work out therefore i'm sweating a lot

When I get home, I detangle with my fingers and I braid and tie down with scarf. It's very sylver2-like.
How do you dry your hair after you detangle?

Maybe if sectioned it off into giant bantu knots or something until it was dry it would help stretch the roots and keep them from re-tangling? You could try cornrowing just to the nape of your neck and bunning the rest or doing large flat twists but you got so much hair that in and of itself would take all night! :drunk:

I like using light oil like Jojoba or coconut on my roots b/c it keeps them slick and won't clog my scalp.

I usually air dry.

banto knots :scratchch. I may try that. :yep:

I think that it makes sense to do a touch up when you have enough growth to do it. My hair seems to grow in spurts so sometimes I need to touch up in 8 weeks but right now I am 3 months post and don't notice my new growth at all. I say if you have more than an inch of new growth than why wait?

IDK. Sometimes you just have to do it. that was my exact problem upon my last perm. I try to get to 10 or 12 wks, but gave up at exactly 8 bc of the dense new growth and horrible tangles. I may have been going through a growth spurt or something but it feels much better now that I have tamed the beast. :)

IDK. Sometimes you just have to do it. that was my exact problem upon my last perm. I try to get to 10 or 12 wks, but gave up at exactly 8 bc of the dense new growth and horrible tangles. I may have been going through a growth spurt or something but it feels much better now that I have tamed the beast. :)

I too was supposed to perm at 12 weeks, but I'm at 9 wks and I think I might perm tmrw. I have alot of new growtyh this time around then last time. I permed at 14 weeks the last time I had a perm. I think I have more new growth because I have been taking a hair vitamin. I would say perm it. Or do you ever think about flat ironing the roots?

I think that it makes sense to do a touch up when you have enough growth to do it. My hair seems to grow in spurts so sometimes I need to touch up in 8 weeks but right now I am 3 months post and don't notice my new growth at all. I say if you have more than an inch of new growth than why wait?

ITA...I usually relax when it starts to get unmanageable, usually 8-9 weeks. However, during the summer, my hair grows faster, so I wouldn't be opposed to relaxing at 7 weeks if it becomes unmanageable.

I bought a box of relaxer on Friday but I didn't do it yet.

I DC'ed my hair, applying the conditoner like relaxer, and it's made a difference. Perhaps I can stretch a lil longer.

we'll see.

Thanks for the tips! :)

Back