TO PUFF & FRO WEARERS! How do u protect your ends?

PittGirl06

Hair product junkie reloaded!
Is there anything special you can do when you wear a fro or a puff to insure that you don't mess up your ends?

I just make sure that I keep the ends moist with coconut oil so they don't get dry. Also I don't wear a puff too long-3 days at the most. HTH!

I make sure that I spray a moisturizer like scurl or a leave in conditioner on my hair to make sure it doesn't dry out. If it feels like it's a bit dry while I'm at work I just put a little water on it and fluff and go.

i usually find a little shea butter really holds in the moisture. For added protection i mix it with grapeseed oil. hth :-)

I put extra leave-in mixed w/castor oil on my ends after I wash and before bed. I also don't wear puffs as much with the cold weather.

yeah I prolly shouldn't be wearing puffs and fros but the temp has been fluctuatting so much over here.....I am supposed to get twists done this week, but that depends if this girl calls me back or not. if she doesn't i may break down and try to get braids..lol

I always make sure the ends are well moisturized. I find a little WGO on the ends works well to seal in moisture. Just a dab will do it :yep: Pay extra attention to the ends when you're conditioning as well.
I also never wear my hair picked out. I think leaving the coils intact is better for your hair in the long run.

I oil my hair/scalp/ends at nite- i use rosemary oil diluted in sweet almond oil or palm oil or coconut oil or apricot kernel oil or ginseng wonder 8 oil. I also do pre-poo treatments with castor oil. I spritz daily after co-washing with a mixture of water/liquid aloe vera/glycerin/eo. I add glycerin and liquid aloe vera to my conditioners and that's it. Hope this helps a little. I also don't pick my fro out- i leave it shrunken- daily.

blkbeauty said:
Just curious everyone. How come you shouldn't wear puffs for too long. Just asking.
It may thin out your edges
Your hair may get too tangled

Hope that helps!

When I'm wearing my hair out in a fro or a puff I run oil through it before I pick it out. Once picked out, it pat it down and shape it with more oil. Lately, I've been using Omega from Asha's Naturals but I will be making my own blend from now on.

Hey Pooh, I haven't seen you on here in awhile.
The reason I asked is because my back doesn't seem like it is growing as fast as my front. I think this is caused by my everyday puff.

Poohbear said:
It may thin out your edges
Your hair may get too tangled

Hope that helps!

Hey blkbeauty... Do u wear the shrunken puff or a picked out puff?
blkbeauty said:
The reason I asked is because my back doesn't seem like it is growing as fast as my front. I think this is caused by my everyday puff.

Poohbear said:
Hey blkbeauty... Do u wear the shrunken puff or a picked out puff?

I know this q was not directed at me but I just wanted to say that I wear a picked out puff and looooooves it. My hair puffs up rather nicely these days. If I do not pick it out, it looks kinda shrivled and starvin.

PittGirl06 said:
I know this q was not directed at me but I just wanted to say that I wear a picked out puff and looooooves it. My hair puffs up rather nicely these days. If I do not pick it out, it looks kinda shrivled and starvin.
Oh that's okay. ;) I asked because the way your wear your puff may have an effect on retaining hair length and how you protect your ends.

I love wearing a picked out puff too! :D After seeing this thread again last night, I decided to wear one today! :) I protect my ends with either oil, oil sheen spray, or grease.
I really don't like wearing my shrunken fro mainly because it tangles more, my hair is extremely tighly coiled, but it's alright... I just have to either rinse my hair in the shower, or I would spray S-Curl or spray distilled water for the shrunken fro.

So I protect my hair with different products when wearing the picked out fro and the shrunken fro.

blkbeauty said:

I have this problem, but the opposite :lol: The front does not grow as fast as the back. Could it be due to my puff wearing?:ohwell: I don't wear them tight but i have now gone back to wearing 2strand twists for a while.

When I have major bed head, I place my head under the shower spout for a minute, spray a little oil (FUBU) on my hair and use my k-cutter only in the middle of my hair strands to prepare for the fro. The FUBU oil is not heavy, so I don't have to smooth it in at all.

I keep it moisturized by rinsing daily in shower and a little castor oil on the ends. If i dont have time to rinse i'll just mist my ends with water from a spray bottle.

I usually do daily conditioner washes when wearing my hair out. Today, I just wet it, added my conditioner and trusted scurl. I put some much conditioning stuff in my hair that I feel it is fine. I also don't wear puffs often. I wear twists mostly to help my hair grow.

that would call for some shea butter on my ends during the cold months...and something like mimosa hair honey during the summer months..i just make sure whatever works for me in the moisture dept is on my ends when i am wearing my hair out.

Back