To Grease or not to Grease that is the Question.

rikki3501

All of my life I have greased my scalp, and recently I have read that you should not grease your scalp. So what do you all do if your scalp is dry?:)

Grease works for some, but not all just like with any other hair product.
I use it every now and then, but I mostly use oils like coconut oil and castor oil.

Sweet_Ambrosia said:
Grease works for some, but not all just like with any other hair product.
I use it every now and then, but I mostly use oils like coconut oil and castor oil.

same here... i am not a grease person(except when applying relaxers!), I prefer oils and I use UBH dew, EVOO, and sweet almond constantly.

I use oils as well, grease tends to be too heavy for my hair. I do like Dudley's pressing cream though, but I use it in very small amounts.

I use grease. I'll actually be greasing my scalp when I get home in a few minutes because it's been about 5 days and my scalp is dry.

my hair loves them both but i try to use lite grease :lol: or oils what ever my hair wants it the boss:lachen: long as it grows

i use both but i use a lite grease or oil my hair is the boss and it wants both but not at the same time:lol: :lol: :lachen: :lachen:

I use to think that I needed to put grease on my scalp or else it would be dry but then I stopped doing it and my scalp did not get dry. Your scalp produces natural oils and for some (me) that is enough. I do use grease though on my ends and on my hair after I wash. My advice would be that if greasing your scalp works for you then grease it.

I never grease or put anything else on my scalp. I've never seen the need for it. Washing my hair at least twice a week keeps my scalp hydrated so it is not dry, and it produces it's own oils, so adding grease really isn't necessary.

I grease only when my scalp feels dry and itchy and even then I *spot grease*, dabbing exactly where it feels that way. I use a shea butter pomade on my hair when I take it down in the morning.

Bosslady1 said:
Greasing your scalp isn't a problem if you wash frequently.

I agree. If your scalp is dry it means you need more moisture, not grease. But if you don't feel like doing a complete wash cycle, maybe a water based moisturizer may help.

If you like to grease your scalp, I would suggest using Natures Blessing Pomade. It has the consistency of grease and it has really good ingredients. I thinks the jar says it can even be used on chapped lips( I'll have to double check on that).

I still use grease. :grin: I use the lighter greases like Pro-Line Coconut Grease or Hawaian Silky "Sure Gro." I've done research on my hair and noticed that I get the same growth if I'm using oils or greasing my scalp.

Back