Tips, Questions, and Inspiration -- please help.

eunique

Hey ladies! I'm Eunique and a noob! lol. I'm a high school senior and I have been struggling to grow my hair for years. My moms a beautician but what works for her and her clients just does not work for me. I was a lurker for a while and I picked up a few tips, I read the newcomers guide, but I"m really needing some hairspiration!

I'll be going to college soon (Howard University, fall '07) so I'll really have to take care of my own hair! I was wondering if there were any tips you intelligent ladies can give me. I really need some inspiration. Everyone has such long beautiful hair already and its discouraging because my hair is about ear level on the top / sides and about an inch / half an inch in the back. I chopped my hair off back in July (pic in siggy of the cut) and it has been growing back alright, but it just seems to be going so slow.

I'm a 4a/4b, relaxed. My last relaxer was on Feb 25, I'm trying to stretch them out but I'm not sure how long I can do it lol. My regimen is fairly simple. I wash my hair on Fridays (Nexxus Humectress or Mane 'N Tail), deep condition w/ Nexxus Humectress Conditioner/treat with Queen Helene's Jojoba Treatment. I'm actually under the dryer on my laptop as we type lol. I rollersetted for the first time last week, I loved how my hair came out but I really want healthier ends. I don't know how I can maintain the rollerset style w hile baggy'ing so I'm a bit at ends with that.

Any product suggestions, tips, or questions or comments are welcome. Thank you so much ladies!

Hello "E",

I would suggest searching the forum for tips...there are hundreds, but it will be very informative for u as a newbie.Patience is necessary with the hair growing experience..time is the only thing u cant control. I would recommend getting a protein conditioner, a moisturizing conditioner and a low sudsing shampoo...try to condition once a week with the moisturizing conditioner; once a month with the protein(u may need less or more)..cut down on the heat..GOOD LUCK

Hi :wave:
I am kinda new but I have learned so much and my hair is the thickest it has ever been and it is finally growing. The main things that helped me were co washing every 1-3 days(especially when I have lots of new growth), stretching my relaxer and moisturizing my ends and sealling in the moisture with oil. When I have lots of new growth I don't really do any styles I just put about six bantu knots in my hair and tied my hair up. Since you are going to be in school you probably want tips on pretty low manipulation styles maybe someone else can help you with that. I am not good with fancy styles.

Good Luck!

I'll co-sign with the conditioner washes. They're great! Also protective styling ie. buns, braid extentions, braids, phony ponies, wigs, scarves, etc. work wonders. I'm just now dabbling into eating right and I'm taking vitamins. Many women swear by water intake as well. (This might not be so popular but I believe in sealing in moisture so after I conditioner wash I would spray in leave in conditioner like infusium, then I'll massage in shea butter after I do a protective style I'll use hair grease ONLY ON THE HAIR, not the scalp to hold all the good stuff in.

Have fun at Howard!

Eunique,

When you go to Howard will you do your hair yourself or go to the salon? There are some very good Dominican and other salons in DC that do inexpensive rollersets. At many of these you can bring your own products including deep conditioners.

My favorite tips that I learned from this board are: deep condition at least once a week, minimize or avoid heat from blow dryers and flat irons, do a protein treatment every 6 weeks or so (more or less depending on your hair's needs), and always follows protein with a moisturizing conditioner.

Congratulations on Howard!

ravenmerlita said:
Eunique,

When you go to Howard will you do your hair yourself or go to the salon? There are some very good Dominican and other salons in DC that do inexpensive rollersets. At many of these you can bring your own products including deep conditioners.

My favorite tips that I learned from this board are: deep condition at least once a week, minimize or avoid heat from blow dryers and flat irons, do a protein treatment every 6 weeks or so (more or less depending on your hair's needs), and always follows protein with a moisturizing conditioner.

Congratulations on Howard!

Thanks! I'd rather go to a salon (though the only people who have ever really "done" my hair are my mother and godmother who are both beauticians), but money-wise I might be on my own with that lol. Thanks for the tip though, I'm trying to get my savings in order so that I can at least go to a salon once a month.

Thanks for the tips and for congratulating me! :)

Welcome to the board! :wave: Congrats on going to Howard! There's really a wealth of knowledge here and once you find out what your hair needs and likes, it will thrive. Just wait and see. I just want to stress the point that what one person does may not neccessarily work for you. It doesn't mean anything's wrong with it, your hair just may or may not like it. So be careful with jumping on bandwagons. You have to decide what's best for you. Other than that HHG! :)

Back